Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I blame myself in situations as 99% of problems which arose with me I've been in control of and failed to stop.
Other types seem to embrace that feel good blameless approach and I have trouble stomaching their self pity.

Do other ISTJs view the world in the same way?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Assuming I had a hand in it, I always at least consider the possibility of my own culpability. I like to think that I'm honest enough to admit it, when it's really my fault. But more often than not, I get the feeling that I could have done things differently. Hindsight is 20/20! I try not to dwell on the negative, and just learn from it and move on.

·
Banned
932 Posts
when I'm unhealthy and stressed out I blame myself for everything even if it's someone else's fault, I would blame myself for getting into the situation in the first place- but usually I just take the attitude that everyone makes mistakes and you learn from them and move on

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm pretty objective about problems that arise in my life. If I can control the situation (which I generally can), I will blame myself. If I haven't worked hard enough, if I've spent too much, if I've eaten too much, if I haven't worked out... These are all things that I could have done differently. If one of my friends invites me out to do something, it is not their fault that I do it. This is part of my control freak nature. I think that most XSTJ's are usually pretty on top of their lives so that they don't have many of these issues and if they do, they learn from it. It's about priorities.

Things that I can't control, like other people's behavior, I learn quickly who I will associate with. My standards are set high, and I generally piss most people off because I have too many "rules," but I am happy and I surround myself with good influences. I honestly don't think there are that many really good people in the world, so I filter through them and see who is. I try not to be too rude about it, which I'm getting better at holding my tongue as I get older, but I just let people fade out of my life if they don't live up to my expectations.

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
I find that I blame myself in situations as 99% of problems which arose with me I've been in control of and failed to stop.
Other types seem to embrace that feel good blameless approach and I have trouble stomaching their self pity.

Do other ISTJs view the world in the same way?
well, i like to remember that shit happends. it absolutly happends. but a strict observation of a situation can yield the proper responsability. i only blame myself when i am to blame.

when i failed my driving test it was my fault because i didnt practise enough, but most people fail and i got some good feedback so no biggy.

when i failed to close the department properly it was the managements fault because i wasnt trained, and they knew it, and when it came p later they just shrugged so fuck them. now at work when i make a mistake i just shrug, if they dont want to do their job, at this point where they've gone as far as they can, why should i care if im a part time minimum wage employee.

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
139 Posts
If it's something very specific that I know wasn't my fault then I deal with it accordingly. However, with anything that deals with emotions, relationships, etc. then I usually overanalyze and worry that something was my fault, even if it was a small part of the problem overall. I am very self-disciplined and so I usually assume if things have gone wrong there is something I could have done or not done that would have changed things. As I've gotten older I've learned to deal better and cut myself some slack in many situations. I'm sure part of this is simply from having a better mental bank of experiences to draw from and have become proactive in many things. Of course, with issues involving strong emotions and things past experiences are far from a fail-safe and each new problem has to to be dealt with in its own way. When things get out of my hand I just try to keep my faith in God strong and know that He is good and knows what He's doing...thank goodness, because left to my own devices I'd be a neurotic mess when one area of my life had the least bit of imperfection.

Reactions: niss and Sela

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my worst experience was as a low level manager at a restaurant. Having more power means you can do more if you play your cards right, and to fall short means you failed at something. That job was easily the worst I've ever experienced and shown me where I lacked b4 I found the enneagram, which just confirmed my thoughts. Now a days I just use my time to the best of my capabilities at work and thats good enough for everyone else and considered great at my job, but when things go wrong I just wish I could expand my reach, but that would take better partners, allowing me to blame management :tongue:

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
@Wake: I'm a Type 1 also, like you, and I tend to blame myself about 95% of the time for stuff. The other 5%, when it's the other person's fault ... it seems like they always try to pass the buck or shift the blame.
Seriously? That irks me off. Take the blame, apologize, move on.
Warning: Failure to follow these three simple steps may result in a loss of respect from me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
1w2 as well. There was a link to a comparison of type 1s and ISTJs on one of the threads here once, I'll try and repost it here later, when I'm on my computer, and not my phone...:cool: It was really interesting to see how close they were in common traits.

·
Registered
9,420 Posts
Please do. I'm interested to see the percentage breakdown.

1w2 as well. There was a link to a comparison of type 1s and ISTJs on one of the threads here once, I'll try and repost it here later, when I'm on my computer, and not my phone...:cool: It was really interesting to see how close they were in common traits.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts