Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while, I've had the problem that when I've been thinking about things (especially debating when to act - and, yes, most of this is relating to people), I've been feeling a lot of pain in my chest, like something's crushing me. It's inferring with my concentration, because I keep worrying about it. Is this a common thing and, if so, does anyone know how to cure it? I've also being going through very low moods due to external circumstances recently, but it doesn't feel like depression (or, at least, not the depression I had before).

Help would be appreciated. I also have to ask: would you consider it better to be active and not so safe, or safe and passive, but filled with regret?

Reactions: shadowjasmine

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
I'm not a doctor or psychiatrist (but I do have a PhD in thugamonics) but if I had to diagnose physical pain due to thinking, it would probably be some sort of physical manifestation of anxiety. I do believe that some people think so hard that they pull resources away from other parts of their body which can cause problems. But as standard you should see a doctor if it keeps bothering you.

Also I think its better to be active and not so safe over safe passive regret because of the rule of YOLO.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
For a while, I've had the problem that when I've been thinking about things (especially debating when to act - and, yes, most of this is relating to people), I've been feeling a lot of pain in my chest, like something's crushing me. It's inferring with my concentration, because I keep worrying about it. Is this a common thing and, if so, does anyone know how to cure it? I've also being going through very low moods due to external circumstances recently, but it doesn't feel like depression (or, at least, not the depression I had before).

Help would be appreciated. I also have to ask: would you consider it better to be active and not so safe, or safe and passive, but filled with regret?
anxiety perhaps?

taking action with other people is a function of Fe, and that's our weakness.

My advice is to take action when you can, that way if it goes badly you can learn.. the kind of experience you will never get from being safe and passive

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I meant to include stuff about how it might be linked to anxiety due to Fe usage, but forgot (sorry). I was wondering if it happened to other INTPs in particular.

Hm, interesting everyone said to act. It seems to go against the INTP stereotype of passiveness.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Well I give myself nasty head aches from over thinking what to do.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I don't get headaches, but often I might have trouble falling asleep because of over-thinking.

If you cannot tolerate the regret, then it is of course better to act. That's the logical thing to do...Now when it comes to actually acting though, that's a bit tougher.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I meant to include stuff about how it might be linked to anxiety due to Fe usage, but forgot (sorry). I was wondering if it happened to other INTPs in particular.

Hm, interesting everyone said to act. It seems to go against the INTP stereotype of passiveness.
Just because it's the INTPs default option, doesn't mean it's the best option.

If you give an outline of the situation- altered somewhat for anonymity if you want, maybe we can help brainstorm a course of action

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I give myself nasty head aches from over thinking what to do.
I also tend to be prone to migraines thanks to stress. It's pretty annoying (but painkillers help).

I don't get headaches, but often I might have trouble falling asleep because of over-thinking.

If you cannot tolerate the regret, then it is of course better to act. That's the logical thing to do...Now when it comes to actually acting though, that's a bit tougher.
Yeah, that's the problem. Action always seems easier when it's thought about than when you actually have do to it (I'll elaborate further down).

Just because it's the INTPs default option, doesn't mean it's the best option.

If you give an outline of the situation- altered somewhat for anonymity if you want, maybe we can help brainstorm a course of action
Okay, I'll attempt to explain while leaving out details I hope won't be too necessary.

Basically, I have two choices - number one could end up hurting both myself and other people emotionally while number two would end up only hurting me and causing possible feelings of regret. Logically, the second option should be the right one, seeing as only one person is hurt, but it doesn't sit well with me (due to the fact I always used to give myself the short end of the stick due to low self-esteem - which isn't so low any more, hence not wanting that option either). Basically, the first involves risks while the second has none but a guaranteed regret.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I also tend to be prone to migraines thanks to stress. It's pretty annoying (but painkillers help).

Yeah, that's the problem. Action always seems easier when it's thought about than when you actually have do to it (I'll elaborate further down).

Okay, I'll attempt to explain while leaving out details I hope won't be too necessary.

Basically, I have two choices - number one could end up hurting both myself and other people emotionally while number two would end up only hurting me and causing possible feelings of regret. Logically, the second option should be the right one, seeing as only one person is hurt, but it doesn't sit well with me (due to the fact I always used to give myself the short end of the stick due to low self-esteem - which isn't so low any more, hence not wanting that option either). Basically, the first involves risks while the second has none but a guaranteed regret.
I refuse to take pain killers for head aches. Pain killers are not really all that great for your body, and I have head aches a lot. I'll survive the head ache rather than kill my liver or the other one million and one potential side effects.

Reactions: owlet

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

Well there is an important detail missing..
Why would it hurt others? Is it something they really have coming? (due to taking your for granted/ taking advantage of you?)

Is it just something you don't want to do, but are afraid to say no to them?

If it's hurting just you then you definately need to take the action. That is bad news long-term
If you are always giving in to other people, you aren't going to get the respect you deserve. You sometimes need to stand up to them to set boundaries. If it destroys good relationships, then they aren't good people. Chances are you will just be respected more for it.

Read up on enneagram 9 personal growth too. It will explain this better than I did

·
Registered
10,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well there is an important detail missing..
Why would it hurt others? Is it something they really have coming? (due to taking your for granted/ taking advantage of you?)

Is it just something you don't want to do, but are afraid to say no to them?

If it's hurting just you then you definately need to take the action. That is bad news long-term
If you are always giving in to other people, you aren't going to get the respect you deserve. You sometimes need to stand up to them to set boundaries. If it destroys good relationships, then they aren't good people. Chances are you will just be respected more for it.

Read up on enneagram 9 personal growth too. It will explain this better than I did
No, I don't think they have it coming. It's more it would put them in an awkward position which they may not like and may resent me for. It's something I almost want to do just to get it over with, but there may be repercussions.

I would say it's just beginning to slightly irritate me I'm like background noise to people a lot of the time - I get forgotten very easily because I'm a lot quieter than my friends. I think you are speaking a lot of sense and I'll be sure to look that up. I do have issues showing anger to people, or any negative emotions really, which, to be fair, is my problem, not theirs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think too much that i end up getting red patches on my skin that hurt internally like someones sucking my blood out but i got it checked out in 5th grade and the doctor said it was stress or anxiety

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
This may seem like a joke, but it's not. I have done similar things, I've had to train myself to remember to blink.

Don't forget to breathe when you're thinking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts