Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you follow your heart more or head more?
and when / what is the sign / on which occasions ... that you have to follow either one of them?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Always head without question. Not even a slight chance of going with heart, although other peoples "heart" may influence my decision, if perhaps it would create more conflict due to other peoples' opinion, as for me, always head.

Although this attitude led me to believe I was a 4 for a while (enneagram) because I thought I did that to create more melancholy for myself, I believe that wasn't the original reason. I think I have just come to know that feeling now, so I've grown to like it. Kind of like performers get nervous before shows, but after a while they learn to like the nervousness?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a very silly question to be asking on an INTP board, don't you think?
lol i love this kind of reaction from INTP lol it turns me on LOL (am i some sort of literary-masochist? LOL)

another thing i want to specify is that

so when you follow your HEAD,
do you follow your HEAD to satisfy your HEART eventually?
or do you follow your HEAD to satisfy your HEAD eventually?

or is this a weird gabbling from a wabbly INFJ ?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
lol, intp's don't have hearts.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
lol, intp's don't have hearts.
LOL sort of true LOL
and i am completely doomed because

1 im an introvert
2 im sensitive
3 sort of odd one
4 gay
5 korean
6 attracted to only certain specfic types of INTP with certain physical features
7 expect to be romantically reciprocated or be understood by them LOLOL
8 they have no heart of course LOL
9 INFJ

------------------------------

quote = you're an INFP buddy

do you mean me sir ?
if so, could i ask how you drawed such conclusion?

oops, there have been modification in your posting! oh i mean, when you said You're an INFP

·
Registered
523 Posts
The definition of a Thinker, as I understand it, is that they go with their head more than their heart... :mellow:

I get a feeling like we're misunderstanding your question, though. What exactly do you mean by "follow your heart"?

I've done what "felt" like the right thing a couple of times; it usually ends in disaster and embarrasment (and except for obviously more awful things like death and dismemberment, I can't think of anything worse than being really, really embarrassed). This is why I usually follow my head; it has much better judgement than my heart. :happy:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Head, without exception. Isn't that part of Ti-Ne? Feelings always make me feel moronic, oddly enough.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would say 90% of thinking and use my heart 10% (though i am not a computer). When i do feel something I sit down and think about it, and if i have to i start planning.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I don't really grok what it means to "follow one's heart".the times I have been exhorted to listen to/follow my heart, it meant not thinking things through. I think this is very bad advice.

there are things that are important to me that perhaps do not have a rational basis, but I do not need to be exhorted to "follow my heart" regarding those types of things. they are important to me, so I respond accordingly.

167 Posts
Head 90% of the time. I trust my head more and I'm not comfortable with my heart.

I do listen my heart on rare occasions though, like on instances where I feel overwhelmed by emotions and I know following my head would not get me out of the situation.

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Head. Decisions based on emotions are usually the wrong ones. Oh and always obey your FIRST thought impulse, cos that one is usually right. I'm practicing that.

·
Registered
264 Posts
and when / what is the sign / on which occasions ... that you have to follow either one of them?
I'm not an INTP... I'm an INFJ, like you. But I do understand what your asking because we (INFJ's) can do both quite well.

It boils down to "if you can defy your Extroverted Feeling or Not" because we will only be torn on things, we know are "completely self-serving." -- And love is one of them. (The Head says NO WAY... But, the heart says TRY.)

If it causes No Harm (Emotional, Physical, Spiritual) to yourself or others... then, I say "go for it." --- If there is Harm in it.... mind your thinking because it's for a good reason. :wink:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
What do people mean by "following one's heart"? I really don't get it... All my emotions stem from my brain, not my heart! Sometimes I get the impression that "following your heart" simply means doing things without thinking (like some kind of caveman). They usually seem to mean that they want to follow their emotional instincts, but that's an utterly irresponsible thing to do because you have to be in control of your emotions to oversee the emotional consequences of your decisions. The only way to make an empathetical choice without losing yourself is by making the rational choice. Therefore feeling types seem to be the most antisocial to me (people like to turn that shit around by saying we're the antisocials).

·
Registered
264 Posts
What do people mean by "following one's heart"? I really don't get it... All my emotions stem from my brain, not my heart! Sometimes I get the impression that "following your heart" simply means doing things without thinking (like some kind of caveman). They usually seem to mean that they want to follow their emotional instincts, but that's an utterly irresponsible thing to do because you have to be in control of your emotions to oversee the emotional consequences of your decisions. The only way to make an empathetical choice without losing yourself is by making the rational choice. Therefore feeling types seem to be the most antisocial to me (people like to turn that shit around by saying we're the antisocials).
You are correct the emotional sensors are within the human mind, and so are the logical. But, the question remains is love Logical or Emotional? Where does that effect the mind exactly?

Following your heart does not mean "being irresponsible" and not "thinking out the consequences." On the contrary, it usually meant quite the opposite. --- It's referring to those times in life where you take a chance on love or a leap of faith in another, when it could possibly hurt you or not turn out.

There are areas in one's life where simple... or even complicated, logic cannot help with the decision. And love is one of those areas.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
You are correct the emotional sensors are within the human mind, and so are the logical. But, the question remains is love Logical or Emotional? Where does that effect the mind exactly?

Following your heart does not mean "being irresponsible" and not "thinking out the consequences." On the contrary, it usually meant quite the opposite. --- It's referring to those times in life where you take a chance on love or a leap of faith in another, when it could possibly hurt you or not turn out.

There are areas in one's life where simple... or even complicated, logic cannot help with the decision. And love is one of those areas.
I think love is both logical and emotional and therefore we must handle it in both a logical and an emotional way. Which seems to be another approach than the approach of the "follow your heart" crowd who don't have a handle on their emotions and just follow them even if it leads to heartbreaking situations. Logically these people know that their love isn't justifiable or responsible, but they just blindly follow their feelings because they are so comforting and pleasing.

You are of course right in saying that love is not a game of certainties and "leaps of faith" must be taken from time to time, but even a leap of faith must be measured by the standards of a logical cost-benefit analysis. This may seem cold to you but I believe that emotions must be governed by our ratio, emotions are meant to be felt; not followed.

·
Registered
ESFJ
642 Posts
It's about half and half...I don't really know which one to choose half the time because both seem right but rarely meet on the same page. It's aggravating! :crying:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
1 im an introvert
2 im sensitive
3 sort of odd one
4 gay
5 korean
6 attracted to only certain specfic types of INTP with certain physical features
7 expect to be romantically reciprocated or be understood by them LOLOL

8 they have no heart of course LOL
9 INFJ
Dude,you're way too meticulous :crazy:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Decisions are made after a logical process, usually by elimination.

I can think of a few times I followed my heart - they are very rare and are usually split second decisions. I can't remember if I regretted any of them or not, but one of them was to work at the relationship with my boyfriend, who later became my husband of 20 odd years. A good one I think.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts