Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I was reading some of the many articles about INTP's, and I found in one article this recuring notion that we have an ability, to enter "The Zone", a state in which we are 100% focused on whatever subject or thing we have set our minds on, and we become near oblivious to the physical world.
Anyone here familiar with this, and if yes, when was the last time you were in "The Zone" and what triggered it?

For me it was half a year ago when I read an article on a forum about the hypothesis that modern europeans descent from neanderthals, as strange as that hypothesis sounds, it was something that completely swallowed me at the time, and I remember reading it all afterwards spending hours researching the subject just to try collect as much information to polish and prove or disprove the hypothesis.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Only time I can remember at the moment I stopped a mob of 20 people on my bike that was after my friend. One tried ramming my bike as I was riding away and I didn't lose balance at all.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I don't think that an INTP would need to be oblivious to the physical world to enter this zone. The zone could be the physical world itself. I used gain a extreme clarity of focus when I first started doing crowd control. The experience felt like rock and roll to me. It was like seeing your favorite band play your favorite song right from the front row combined with a constant IV drip of adrenaline. I became an addict. Is that kinda what you are talking about? I guess I should ask if you got an adrenaline rush from your hypothesis, or how would you define the experience?

Or are you talking about a focus where you get rapped up in your own thoughts, looking at the clock, and then tell yourself 'shit its 2 hrs later.' I experience this version almost daily.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I slip into this state constantly. It's a euphoric place to be that is one of pure mind. The INTP's heaven. I am in this state a lot of the time when I'm on the bus or in other places that are so unstimulating that I almost slip into dream. Sometimes I can delve so deeply into this trance that I hallucinate. It's like some sorta waking dream. One time I became reaware of my surroundings with a jolt and realized I'd been going on a loop on my bus for 2 hours and had gone past my stop 4 times. The entire time I was pondering everything from quantum physics to the nature and supposed validity of emotion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
It is very often for me. One of these days I started to study some phylosophy (it all started with a trap on wikipedia) and then when I noticed, 10hrs had passed and it was morning. >.>

It also happens while talking with friends about amazing interesting discoveries, so it is not always a lonely process.

·
Registered
659 Posts
When I'm walking through the city or on the train I just put on my headphones and zone. It's peaceful; it's how I stay sane even in large groups of people.

When I'm post-processing photographs, as well.. I exist in a time warp. Haha

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm almost always in the Zone.
It's more difficult to get out of the Zone, and focus on trivial/immediate stuff.
Might just be my ADHD-PI though.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm always lost in my own thoughts. It's hard from me to come out of "the Zone." I tune things out too easily.

·
Registered
114 Posts
To me, "being in the zone" refers to a time when my actions are effortless. One of the most memorable times when I profoundly experienced this was golfing several years ago. I played the first few holes just miserably, including getting an 8 on a par 3. I was hungover and on 4 hours of sleep.

What happened after those first 3 holes, I'll never forget. I remember, saying out loud to myself, "I'm done f**cking around". I then played the next 9 holes flawlessly. Every shot was right on. Everything on the course seemed to disappear. I remember the guy I was playing with, had this look on his face at the time- it was amazement, disbelief, and even some uncomfortableness.

Unfortunately, I came out of this zone, or trance like state, when I began thinking again. After those 9 holes of perfect play, it dawned on me that I had forgotten about the guy I was playing with (for fun) and became completely absorbed in my shots. I could see he wasn't having a fun time. It's like I snapped back to reality, but in doing so, my game was back to it's mediocre level when I did.

A few years later I watched a seen in "The Legend of Bagger Vance", where the entire crowd watching Matt Damon disappeared and he started playing perfect golf. It was a surreal moment in the movie for me that I truly can understand.

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
I mostly get in the zone when I'm trying to learn something new or master my skills in some area.
For example, when I used to practice my guitar skills for hours and hours, I'd just lose track of everything going on around me.
Additionally, when I'm lost in heavy thought - such as either trying to invent my own particular theoretical perspective on something, or merely to attempt to make sense of some theoretical perspective I'm reading - I tend to just slip out of reality and minutes and hours are easily lost in long trains of very serious rumination.
When it comes to academics, I've rarely done this, and that's probably because I don't take academic work serious (at least not yet). Perhaps when I start taking philosophy courses I'll actually return to these moments of full concentration, but I haven't done this in a very long time, atm.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I remember on two different times, I was driving down the highway deep in thought. When I 'woke up', I was 30 or so miles down the road and I thought holy hell that was bad. It scared me to think that I lost track of 30 miles on the road, and someone could have gotten hurt. I can't remember what dots I was connecting at the time, but I remember sweating afterwords and thinking that I may have just killed someone and not realized it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It happens pretty often to me,
usually when I'm drawing or simply daydreaming.
I'll start to tune everything out and before I know it, it's been two or three hours.
I like being 'in the zone' :]

·
Registered
196 Posts
It often happens to me when I'm a passenger in a car and as I just stare out the window my thoughts take over, and it's like I'm almost asleep in that I have little control over my "ponders". Other common times are when I'm about to go to sleep, bored by a conversation/social situation or when I've just discovered something really interesting!

Reactions: Eisenheim

·
Registered
69 Posts
Most recent experience: playing Scene It on the Xbox with my cousins. I was owning, and kind of being a dick when I got a question wrong.

Most intense experience: during high school, at a summer leadership camp. We played a modified game of paper/rock/scissors where the two players have their backs turned to each other. Then we jumped around and showed either struck either a shark or a surfer pose [I don't remember the third pose].

I played to a draw two times with the girl I played with. She was pretty fly, and I liked the way she bounced when she turned around [sorry if I come off as sexist, but it's the truth]. I decided that instead of trying to win, I would try to play to a draw. Through a combination of rapid pattern recognition and plain dumb luck, I played her to a draw for the next 9 turns. It got kind of emotionally intense and exhausting by the end of it. I also heard someone say "there on the same brainwave!" :cool:

If I did the math correctly, there's a .005% chance of that happening randomly 9 times in a row.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I can force myself into this mode when i'm acting, i lose all sense of self and become whoever i'm suppose to be, it's pretty liberating.
The only other time that comes to mind is when I was going through the whole "first love" thing, I was on a pretty intense high and just sat in bed and wrote for an hour or so, without thinking or stopping to edit. That short story is my favorite thing that i've written to date, as it sums up the highs and lows of having feelings for another person. It was the only good thing that came out of that relationship...

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If "The Zone" is where you forget everything else, or some such thing, all I need to do is pick up a book. Heck, an instruction manual. (I've read the Colorado Commercial Driving License Instructional Book thing twice. Mind you, it's not mine; I was 15.)
I can almost, almost literally see what I read; touch it, feel it, smell it, everything. It's more than a movie; I am there. I'm following the character around, looking over their shoulder, or sweeping across the sky when the author describes a setting. It's so real.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Not so long ago, when I was on verge of finally having fixed that bug I've been looking for so long.
Started at 10pm and I went on until 6am when I finally was finished.
I didn't notice I had the same music playing over and over.
I didn't notice my sister entered the room and asked me a question/even poked me.
I didn't feel sleepy, thirsty or hungry.
It some sort of state of trance, there is just you and the thing your focusing on, all the rest stops existing.
It's a nice feeling, but it's a bit scary how the brain can just block out all the other incoming information.
I wonder what it takes to get me out of the zone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2 days ago. I learned I was an INTP and here I am. Proof of craziness is in my essay in the thread I wrote here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts