Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They've been making the point about your personality is being shaped earlier and earlier in todays world, and lately I've been hearing at birth though I believe that to be preposterous.

When and where did your personality go into effect from what you can remember?

Feel free to ramble on this post, because I asked a question with a wide scope

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I believe that it is likely we are born predisposed toward our personality and that it is socially molded.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that it is likely we are born predisposed toward our personality and that it is socially molded.
So the entire ISTJ for us it setup ahead of time, and our beliefs follow as we go through life?

If thats not correct explain a bit more, I'm trying to follow

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
i think it was like 3 days ago... every other day before that i was a mindless zombie.

See thats how dumb your question sounds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think its important to differentiate between type and personality.

Type is how we process and perceive information, and that is just one of the many components that make up our personality.

Personality is a combination of many factors- our life experiences growing up, religion, gender, culture, and TYPE (such as ISTJ)

I think type is one of those aspects of our personality that doesn't really change, kind of like the color of our hair. I think our type is predetermined at birth.
Sure, we can change certain aspects of our personality as we develop, but not the type aspect.

That's why you can have ISTJs that have totally different personalities, yet similar ways of processing information.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
So the entire ISTJ for us it setup ahead of time, and our beliefs follow as we go through life?

If thats not correct explain a bit more, I'm trying to follow
Not exactly setup ahead of time, but predisposed as in a tendency to be a particular type. Barring any cataclysmic event in our life, as our brain develops, these tendencies become firmer or weaker through social molding.

Early influences and stimuli impact our brains development, fine-tuning, if you will, our tendencies toward certain behaviors. A wise parent can recognize some of these tendencies and work with the child, providing stimuli that will counteract or reinforce the behavior, as desired. The tendency is still there, but the magnitude of that tendency can be encouraged or reduced.

My most recent example has been Chamberlain. I picked him from the litter because he appeared more independent and not nearly so tied to mom. However, this began to work against me right away, as he showed that he did not prefer a lot of cuddling or snuggling. Recognizing this, I worked with him, making sure that I touched and handled him constantly. I prepared him for his first vet visit by touching him repeatedly, sticking my finger in his ears, holding his mouth open, looking closely into his eyes with a flash light, picking up his paws, his tail, and all other methods of touching and preparing. I also took him with me everywhere, so he became more used to unusual sights, sounds, and smells. So the vet visits have gone ok, he's a bit territorial, but otherwise seems pretty well adjusted.

However, while he does tolerate lots of hugs, belly rubs, baths, and touching in general, there is no doubt that he is uncomfortable with anyone placing their hand on him for a long period. He doesn't like laying on people and he doesn't want any part of your body laying on him. Had I left him alone, there is little doubt that he would have been completely stand offish and would not have tolerated near as much cuddling and hands touching him as he now does. It is clear that he enjoys petting, but that he has a definite idea when it should be over. That is that same independent streak he has always had.

Similarly, I believe we are wired to be our personality type. However, outside stimuli and interaction with others can certainly affect how strong our preferences are in our personality type. I believe this is why we have all ISTJs preferring no hugs from strangers or people that we don't know that well, but each of us having a different tolerance level. Some of us, this can almost ruin our day, while others of us just give a quick squeeze and never really give it a second thought.

Srsly, I could be all wet...but this is my belief as to how it possibly develops. I do know that very young children show definite preferences and personality traits.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
i think it was like 3 days ago... every other day before that i was a mindless zombie.

The question is legitimate. Really don't need the aggressive comments.

Reactions: Rhee

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts

Type is how we process and perceive information, and that is just one of the many components that make up our personality.

Personality is a combination of many factors- our life experiences growing up, religion, gender, culture, and TYPE (such as ISTJ)

I think type is one of those aspects of our personality that doesn't really change, kind of like the color of our hair. I think our type is predetermined at birth.
Sure, we can change certain aspects of our personality as we develop, but not the type aspect.

That's why you can have ISTJs that have totally different personalities, yet similar ways of processing information.
Good response. Thanks

Reactions: Sela

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

You misunderstood me. Initially I was aiming for more like 6-10 years old range. Thanks for the insult, really.

To quote Tony Reali "A wave of MUTE-ilation" in this case its ignore, but you get the point

Hows your buddy ENTrePreur doing? Just keep doing what you do.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not exactly setup ahead of time, but predisposed as in a tendency to be a particular type. Barring any cataclysmic event in our life, as our brain develops, these tendencies become firmer or weaker through social molding.
Seems you two are probably in agreement for the most part, and I would probably say the same, but this post isn't all about me. Its the theory.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
You misunderstood me. Initially I was aiming for more like 6-10 years old range. Thanks for the insult, really.

To quote Tony Reali "A wave of MUTE-ilation" in this case its ignore, but you get the point

Hows your buddy ENTrePreur doing? Just keep doing what you do.
i think you missed the point. you question When was your "personality created" is as if to say your personality was created during a setting, as if it was created then, and will not change ever... Whose to say the personality doesnt change always?

Entprepre is doin just fine there Mr lawkinglandman

you wont see me get banned unless i go on a cursing spree insulting everyone in my path.

All i did was insult your question, not you as a person you silly goose.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
They've been making the point about your personality is being shaped earlier and earlier in todays world, and lately I've been hearing at birth though I believe that to be preposterous.

When and where did your personality go into effect from what you can remember?

Feel free to ramble on this post, because I asked a question with a wide scope
Niss and Onstar's opinions sound about right. I guess the core ISTJ type has always been there, while a number of defining experiences shaped the rest of my personality.

When I was 9, my Dad got promoted to work at the overseas branch of his company, and the whole family moved. In the next 4 years I was enrolled into a number of schools in various parts of Southeast Asia, one American, mostly British.
My first year was spent as a deaf-mute; I'd never been so isolated in my life. Kids that age will not let you in if you don't speak their language. I'd left my country having memorized the English alphabet and the basic greetings. The rest of this elusive foreign language I had to build from the grounds up, which ironically proved to be a relatively quick, painless affair given the sheer amount of solitary time I was spending in the school library, reading. The darker side of my Introversion - insecurities in social relationships, fear of approaching others - stems from this childhood experience, still resurfacing occasionally.

When I was 15, I witnessed a case of an attempted sexual assault. I shot up from my sleep at the screams, and blindly raced outside to stop whatever was happening. The perpetrators ran off when they heard the ruckus I made. That this happened in front of my house shocked me, making me realize how pervasive crime is in everyday life. This awareness, coupled with the fierce desire I felt at that moment - of wanting to protect the safety of my fellow men and women - set me on the path to join the law enforcement. It took a couple of more years to figure out that this protective streak apparently stems from the innate love I seem to have for other people - although where that came from, I have no idea.

I think my personality as it is now was completely formed when I was around 14-15.
The biggest influence on my personality throughout life overall has been my father. I've always looked up to him, admiring the way he loves and enjoys life. He's outgoing, social, extremely good with people, carefree, fun-loving, laid back, and funny. I suspect he's an ENFP. A lot of his qualities have rubbed off on me, for which I'm immensely grateful. At the core of my being I'm a happy person, an idealist and an optimist. I also possess the 'redeeming qualities' - the work ethic and love of learning - passed on by my mother (or so she claims, with approval) so I guess I enjoy the best of both worlds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts