Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Can you be more specific? What exactly do you mean by Gen-Y culture?

If we assume that the Gen-Y is born between 1988-1998, then by 2018 the Gen-Y will begin entering their 30s so I guess by then we can assume that our "culture" will start fading and the new generation will be stepping in.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I thought Gen-Y culture was already dead and gone.

Problem is I was born in 1984, so I identify with the late 90's and early 2000's... and culture is totally different now.

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,487 Posts
culture doesn't fade out; it just grows and changes...

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I'm still waiting for Gen X cultures to make room for modern thinking when those in the 35-45 age bracket still hold much of the power in corporate and political spheres of modern life, while seeming fearful of change and unsure how to handle Gen X and Y styles of thinking that place autonomy and self guided learning at greater priority than 'authorities and hierarchies of modern life.'

·
Registered
784 Posts
What? There is no way gen y is "fading" out that soon. I don't even think we are in power yet.

I still think in many ways baby boomer culture and gen x culture is still going strong. I may only be thinking of it in terms of my career and politics or something.... But all the people in power at my job are either boomers or gen x. They are the ones that run the country. They make all the laws, all the political decisions and control most corporations.

Pop culture is... fleeting? Whatever. Music, tv shows and all of that? That stuff comes and goes. But guess who is picking who to sign on for record deals? Who is picking what TV shows air? Baby boomes and gen x. Maybe some older gen y folks but for the rest of us in our early 20s? We are still trying to earn respect in our career fields and getting the older generations to listen to us.

·
Registered
7,058 Posts
I don't know about fading. Gen X and Baby Boomers are still there.

The issue with Gen Y are people lumping us in with millennials. There's enough time and changes in culture/technology to warrant two different generational groups, IMO.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
When they stop playing Friends re-runs on the CW after hours...oh wait, they did it already.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It's fading as we speak. Core Gen Y Culture ended in 2012/2013 and we entered a transition between Y/Z Culture in Late 2013. It looks like so far this year youth culture seem to be swinging in Gen Z's favor and I predict It will completely envelope Gen Y Culture in 2018 or so. By then people who are core Gen Yers would be in their mid-20's-early 30's and completely aged out of youth culture & core Gen Zers (born after 2000/1) would be in their core teens; Y/Z Cuspers (born mid-late 90's) would be slowly aging out of youth culture by that point as well.

·
Banned
5,979 Posts
When long hair on guys and androgyny stop being cool and when music starts being bland, oh, wait, that's already happened. There's a 50/50 chance that 2000s culture will be revived in the 2020s. If it's frowned upon like the first half of the 1940s in Germany from a Jew's point of view, well, *cocks gun* *points at own head*.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I don't understand how a culture is supposed to be Gen Y or Gen Z. If there ever was a Gen Y pop culture, it was probably 1999-2008, the Post-Grunge and Eminem+R&B era. 2009 onwards was a new direction, focused more on dance pop. Even that could be described as Gen Y, since that is what we dance to at the clubs for those of us in our 20s.

Even then, I'm 23 years old, and have friends who are as old as 26 who enjoy today's music about as much as I do if not more so. I don't agree with the idea that the fun stops after you hit 18 and it not being "your culture" anymore.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It's fading as we speak. Core Gen Y Culture ended in 2012/2013 and we entered a transition between Y/Z Culture in Late 2013. It looks like so far this year youth culture seem to be swinging in Gen Z's favor and I predict It will completely envelope Gen Y Culture in 2018 or so. By then people who are core Gen Yers would be in their mid-20's-early 30's and completely aged out of youth culture & core Gen Zers (born after 2000/1) would be in their core teens; Y/Z Cuspers (born mid-late 90's) would be slowly aging out of youth culture by that point as well.
Yeah, I agree and I think the transition is almost over especially since almost all Millennials are over the college age group making them not part of the youth audience anymore and Plurals taking over their place on the throne.

I don't understand how a culture is supposed to be Gen Y or Gen Z. If there ever was a Gen Y pop culture, it was probably 1999-2008, the Post-Grunge and Eminem+R&B era. 2009 onwards was a new direction, focused more on dance pop. Even that could be described as Gen Y, since that is what we dance to at the clubs for those of us in our 20s.

Even then, I'm 23 years old, and have friends who are as old as 26 who enjoy today's music about as much as I do if not more so. I don't agree with the idea that the fun stops after you hit 18 and it not being "your culture" anymore.
Well there is. A decade ago, the entire pop culture was aimed at Millennials. Today, it's more towards the Plurals. As for the starting point, why do you say 2009? I can understand if it's the final era for Millennial pop culture, but it sounds like it ended earlier than previously thought.

As for the youth culture, people do and will age out, but that doesn't mean they can't enjoy it anymore. People can still have fun regardless of age. I mean, there's lots of older folks who like today's movies, music, TV shows etc. and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Dang. I'll be 30 in three years. I'm ready.

I feel like generations has changed big time. I remember growing up with dial-up internet service and flip-phones (I kind of miss them actually) to advance technology. Kids in high school can use their phones without having them taken away, like craaazy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts