Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I do not. I feel hollow and cheated. I feel lost. It's not supposed to be this way....but the truth is I only get satisfaction in STARTING things. And once I've journeyed far enough down that road to see where the end is I quit. I do not finish books especially.

This is why I do not "learn" I think.

I got diagnosed ADHD-PI and started taking Adderall it has made no difference whatsoever. I still just start 9 different random things at once and go to bed wondering if tomorrow will be a bit better.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I also can become so enraptured in beginning things I don't even begin things that are worth starting in the first place. I get so manipulated by novelty and immediate gratification my rationality is shot. I can't believe how dumb I am sometimes. It's depressing. I've found it's really important to keep a pretty accurate journal of my daily doings to keep grounded.

EST/FPs can't be left alone for short periods of time, and though INTPs are hermits, seem like the last people who should be left alone for long periods of time haha.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think I also can become so enraptured in beginning things I don't even begin things that are worth starting in the first place. I get so manipulated by novelty and immediate gratification my rationality is shot. I can't believe how dumb I am sometimes. It's depressing. I've found it's really important to keep a pretty accurate journal of my daily doings to keep grounded.

EST/FPs can't be left alone for short periods of time, and though INTPs are hermits, seem like the last people who should be left alone for long periods of time haha.
Screw reality, we're dreamers. Anyways, I am the same sometimes.

·
Banned
1,815 Posts

Why shouldn't we be left alone for long periods of time? Because we tend to get neurotic and obsess about things?

·
Banned
255 Posts
I don't believe in the intrinsic value of goal accomplishment. There is no signal to my brain that says "feel good" when I accomplish a task.

Note, that I often enjoy the tangible real-world fruits accomplishment - just not the sense of accomplishment IN AND OF ITSELF. I think this is an important distinction, because I am convinced that many life's "go getters" care more about accomplishment for its own sake (probably because it "feels good" psychologically), and it is also why I lack ambition or value system that includes it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I feel good....in the sense that "thank god now people will stop bothering me about getting this shit done" :laughing:

Like I just finished an essay I'd been working on for the past month that's due Monday (earlier than I expected, but again, that's cuz people won't leave me alone about it). I didn't feel all, "whoo, yeah! i finished it! i feel ACCOMPLISHED and GOOD about myself!!!" Heck no. Actually now I'm quite bored. I have nothing to do.

Now I'll even procrastinate what I was procrastinating before. All these tabs open, and now they'll never get read...stupid essay...

Reactions: Just_Some_Guy

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Screw reality, we're dreamers. Anyways, I am the same sometimes.
I was just thinking that after I posted. My "goal" is to daydream and fill up the pages of my journal. I don't give a crap about anything else.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I'll even procrastinate what I was procrastinating before. All these tabs open, and now they'll never get read...stupid essay...

hjahahhaahha man haha that's so me too. Tabbed browsing is the worst invention. I was studying effects of milk on acne, how to pronounce the word banal, writing a new thread for here, reading a thread from here, studying which is better cotton vs synthetic socks, whether shorts with the side pockets were called khaki shorts or cargo shorts, if wooden decks are a fire hazards in the driest part of summer, listening to Sepultura, Rammstein, and Dimmu Borgir at the same time, and reading the news all at once.

It was hard but I was like man you gotta stop. You are not reading any of these just childishly gratifying every creative impulse you get.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why shouldn't we be left alone for long periods of time? Because we tend to get neurotic and obsess about things?
We just get lost. I think we can get neruotic, but mostly I just think 3 weeks of our lives can pass by in a snap as we innocently and directionless pursue every impluse with nothing to stop us.

·
Registered
58 Posts
INFPs are known as the dreamers, I think - and yes, INTJs probably finish things better than us.

I never really feel good when I finish something. I'm either too tired to care at that point or otherwise disappointed by the final product.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I finish reading books. That's about it.

When I am creative - it's the joy of the idea, nothing more. If I have an incentive to finish, I usually do so, normally that incentive is that I will let someone down if I don't.

·
Registered
133 Posts
When it is something I liked, I feel a bit sad (why do books and movies have to have ends?).

If it's something I don't like (filing administrative reports) I feel good as I would after stopping to drive nails into my knees.
I'd rather no do it in the first place.

And what Cavarice said too.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For me it's the utter reality of the final product. No more possibility or wonder. This is it.
...and after a few minutes of worrying about it, off to discovering more new and interesting things (things? who am i kidding? tabs, brother. more new tabs!) only to repeat the cycle.
It would be a lot worse if you didn't start anything at all, though. The constant flow of ideas without any kind of tangible outcome can lead to a totally new way of suffering.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Anything and everything I think, create, imagine, accomplish, etc. is, by definition, thinkable, creatable, imaginable, accomplish-able, etc. Therefore, nothing I will ever do is unique or special, ever.

Now, I suppose I do get satisfaction over a job well done, especially if I can pull something hard off and make it look easy. The Mighty Atom said that the hardest part of strong man feats is making it look easy. If I bust my ass and someone gives me an attaboy, I do feel pretty good, especially if I know that I did something well. If I get an attaboy for rubbish, it makes me feel terrible. Also, if I create something, it tends to have more meaning for me than something I purchase. I suppose I feel similarly to crafting a well turned post on PerC. :happy:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
I usually feel relieved that I can use the information gained in the experience for something beneficial in future.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Yes. I look back on something I've completed and revel in its completeness: the logical order, the beauty of each part complementing the next. The thing in question could be a system of principles, a sentence, an essay, or an entire work; completeness, in part, is what drives me to write and think. Leaving things open, to me, is just an intermediary, the higher end being wholeness and the resulting beauty.

Then again, I'm extremely lazy. I'm rarely able to motivate myself to complete things over longer periods of time.

Reactions: Ista
1 - 20 of 28 Posts