Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPs, when you have a cold, or the flu, or some other physical ailment, WHAT DO YOU DO?

-I don't go to the doctor (more often than not)

-I don't take meds (more often than not)

-Then I take nyquil out of desperation for a good night's sleep around the 2nd or 3rd day

-I cancel all plans with friends, work, or school (this used to not be the case)

-Sleep for as many hours as possible

-Drink lots of tea, eat lots of plain watered-down porridge (I don't eat anything else)

-Try to drink lots of water (difficult when I'm sleeping most of the time!)

-I visit the bathroom a lot to blow my nose and wash my hands

I feel wooozy right now!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I never go to the doctor. And if at all possible I will try to show up at work beccause having only myself to talk to will only make me feel even more miserable. And if there is one thing I never do, its staying in bed during the day.
But usually the flu is stronger than I am and it will keep me grounded nonetheless.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I rarely go to the doctor for physical ailments - I pretty much have to be sick for days to weeks before I'll think about scheduling an appointment. The only exception is if I know what virus/bug has been going around and I know that I need to get an antibiotic, in which case I just tell my doc and he's pretty cool about going with it.

Chamomile and mint teas with honey and lots and lots of water and gatorade. I'll also eat more soup and balanced meals as well drinking a ton of orange juice. I usually play it on the safe side and will do OTC zinc and Vit C overdoses. Funky taste, but worth it if the gold goes away faster.

Baths with epsom salts, mint, lavender, and whatever other things I've determined may help will also be taken. Really hot and long baths/showers.

If those don't work, I'll resort to taking something like Nyquil, but I hate the stuff and only do it out of desperation - note need to breath, not for it to get over with.

It's several days AFTER resorting to Nyquil that I'd even think about calling in sick for work, and I usually won't cancel on friends unless they insist. I just won't make any new plans and sleep. A lot. Anytime I'm not at work, eating, or showering essentially. Unless I can't breath in which case I'm just a miserable puddle on a couch corner trying not to be in the way while dozing off and on between coughing fits.

There's probably a few things I'm missing, but I've got a stand by list that I use for myself and what I suggest to patients when they're complaining of being sick. *shrugs*

Reactions: Lad

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I take a zinc supplement, it lowers your chances of getting sick / the time you will remain sick by around 40%.

I force myself to workout / hop in the sauna / jump in the shower a bit more. Generally, I try to push my body to hate me and because of that it will likely force everything through my system faster, but a little more intensely.

Everything else in life remains reasonably intact. I don't sleep more, eat differently (well, maybe a bit more water / tea), most things generally remain the same.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The moment I even begin to feel myself coming down with something the first day, I immediately start taking vitamins and anything that helps get over a cold faster like Zicam, and as soon as the real symptoms come on later in the day I start taking as much medicine as I need and then some, like robitussin, mucinex, cough drops, etc. The entire time I'm drinking either water or Gatorade to stay hydrated.

Usually the day after that is when I come down the worst with a cold and I take the day off and sleep or rest in bed as much as I can, getting up only to use the bathroom or make myself some food.

By doing this I usually can shorten my down time to just taking that 2nd day off and will feel relatively ok from there on out, even though I might still take some stuff to clear up my nose and help me breathe and function normally. I've found I get over colds much faster than people normally do by jumping on it as soon as possible and I rarely have lingering symptoms. In my mind, I feel that being proactive makes the cold never really get up to full strength on me and so it doesn't have the strength to last as long.

This is really important for me as a contractor because I don't get any paid sick days. I can't risk having to miss 3+ days of work because I failed to take care of myself. I take the 1 day without hesitation even if I might not really need it, just so that I never have to worry about it getting worse and really taking a chunk out of my paycheck.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Depends on how bad it is and what it is. I have chronic sinus infections, so when I get one of those, I'll go to the doctor without much of a second thought. If it's just a cold or flu, I'll stay home and wait it out without any medicine besides the occasional pain killer. I do not go to school or anything if I'm sick: I don't want anyone else to catch what I have and I don't have the energy. I hate it when people go out into public sick :dry: When I fall ill, the virus/bacteria has a higher chance of turning into a respiratory disease like pneumonia.

I tend to not be able to sleep well when sick, so usually I just chill out, drink a bit of tea or water, eat soft/easy foods. I'll hang out in my room or the couch if the house is quiet. As long as I don't over-exert myself, I don't stay sick for too long.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I just try and carry one with what I want do to, I get far to bored just to rest or sleep to get better, I HAVE to do something .

·
Registered
470 Posts
I become all miserable and irritable. I generally don't want to be bothered. I take vitamin C and olive leaf extract along with multivitamin. I sleep as much as I can and I usually still go to work. School, not so much. I don't go to the doctor unless it's something unfamiliar and scary or if it's been going on for longer than I feel it should.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! I am amazed that many of you carry on with going to work. I'm a wimp compared to all of you. :unsure:

Not surprised at all that none of you go to the doctor.

Today is Day Two of staying home for me and I am feeling better after all this sleep I've been getting. I used to go to work/school despite being sick, and it would take me about 5 or 6 days to feel the way I do right now. Plus, I don't have to stress out or feel guilty about possibly getting other people sick and exposing them to my irritability.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I usually do not go to the doctor.

I call in to work and sleep sleep sleep. I have found the best way for my body to recover from any kind of virus is to not stress it & rest rest rest.

I can get quite irritable, sad, mopey -- very unlike my usual.

I drink lots of fruit juice and take alka-seltzer Cold Plus.

If I feel it turning into something like pneumonia, I get to the doctor for antibiotics.

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
INFPs, when you have a cold, or the flu, or some other physical ailment, WHAT DO YOU DO?

-I don't go to the doctor (more often than not)

-I don't take meds (more often than not)

-Then I take nyquil out of desperation for a good night's sleep around the 2nd or 3rd day

-I cancel all plans with friends, work, or school (this used to not be the case)

-Sleep for as many hours as possible

-Drink lots of tea, eat lots of plain watered-down porridge (I don't eat anything else)

-Try to drink lots of water (difficult when I'm sleeping most of the time!)

-I visit the bathroom a lot to blow my nose and wash my hands

I feel wooozy right now!

I do almost all of the above...

- chicken noodle soup
- vitamin C supplements

·
Registered
752 Posts
If I get a cold or something, I'll go and do what I have to do. Life's too short to worry some little sickness that will go away in a week or something. However, going to work with a cold is something that I won't do, mainly due patients likely having an weaker immune system.

If it does get worse, then I'll sleep for about 12 hours straight.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
unless i'm puking or very contagious my mom sends meto school. she's a nurse so she takes great care of me. when i'm sick i tryto drink alot of water(i normally drink alot but even more)ginger ale, and soup if i can hold it down. i try to avoid taking medications if i can i'd rather ward of the illness myself than rely on meds

Reactions: under skies

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
I try to treat it on my own for a few days. I take extra zinc and try to find time to nap. Sometimes I'll take an antihistamine or use a nasal spray. I internally debate whether to work out or not.

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Well...I started feeling ill on Monday then by Wednesday I was very, very ill to the point where i was bed bound. I'm at University and we have to contact the uni nurse/dr before contacting our tutors to let them know we can't make lectures. So I contacted the nurse. Turns out I have flu and I am very peed off and feel very, very miserable.

Then today I start getting conjunctivitis so I think I better phone the Dr...

If I were at home I would not have done any of this, although I may have phoned about conjunctivitis because sometimes they prescribe antibiotics and it is contagious. But otherwise I would not have bothered, because what can they do about flu? Nothing, I just have to keep taking painkillers and stay in bed until it goes away.

:sad:

So right now I am:

- Stuck in my room with only the internet as contact with the outside world
- Drinking lemon and honey regulary
- drinking lots of water
- taking paracetomol every 4 hours and ibuprofen
- using nasal spray so i can breathe

I can't sleep because I now have a cough! and nothing will stop it! Grrr

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I usually don't go and see a doctor as well... instead of that, I stay home, usually lay under the blanket, drink tea a lot and just hope to get better soon. And it works...eventually. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts