Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I meet the eyes of another Ne user(INFP, INTP, ENFP, ENTP), it's like an extra conversation. It's a look of understanding, and it's also the equivalent of a funny joke—we can be giggling like idiots in no time! It feels good to understand someone and to be understood. And it's great to hear things like, "I looked at you because I knew you would be laughing about it too!" and "ButIHaveNoFear understands me!" *cue "the look"*

Now, it might not happen right away. First we have to discover that we can both "talk" this way! I just happened to notice that this works best for me with other Ne users. We look at each other more often, and it just works.

So...
—Do any other Ne users experience this?

—Does this happen with ANY people who share a perceiving function? (Ni, Si, Se, Ne)

—OR, does this only happen with a shared extraverted perceiving function? (Is introverted perceiving more locked away?)

OR, does this happen when people share an extraverted judging function too?

—Who can you talk to with just a glance, and what type are they?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Yeah, my ENTP best friend and I will laugh at random stuff all the time that nobody else notices. If I notice something absurd going on in my environment that's not so apparent to others, I can look at him and he'll be looking at me laughing already, knowing exactly what I'm thinking. You might be on to something though, because I can only have this type of connection with other dom/aux Ne users. Makes sense, as we have a greater chance of interpreting a scene or interactions similarly.

Reactions: ButIHaveNoFear

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
The types I laugh the most with, without any words, are the INTJ, INTP and an ISTJ.
Just about can't contain myself with those three. Those are the types of my closest friends, though, known them for like 10 years each, the ISTJ a little longer than that.. so that's probably why.

I work with the INTP and it's just ridiculous, our supervisors etc will say things and we'll just look at each other, immediately know what's on each others mind, even halfway through a shift, we'll make eye contact, and I'm not even joking, I'll know he's thinking he wants to get home and play some Mario Kart 8 - can't be fucked with his job ATM, too tired etc.
Without any prior conversation about MK8.

So we'll knock off and I'll be like, wanna hit some MK8, and he'll be like "Shit yeah sonnnnnnn!!!".

I play music with him and the INTJ, and we're all just on the same level, it's magic, from in-jokes, to playing music together, to just general 'life' - all on the same wavelength here.

The ISTJ is ridiculously funny, sometimes gotta get him out of his shell, but he's generally not a hard nut to crack in that regard, I was straight up surprised he tested and agreed with ISTJ when he did a couple of tests for me (not official) - I would have typed him as an ENFP. Literally got every letter wrong. Haha.
That's how he comes across though.. I guess he goes all Ne when chilling with mates, takes his mind off of his usual Si-Te self, maybe, I don't know.
Always had that same mental connection with him too - the whole glance thing etc.. except, he's more provocative, he will go out of his way to make eye contact with you at moments you don't want to, because you know you'll laugh.

He knows I'll laugh too so he keeps trying to draw attention to himself in subtle ways so I make eye contact.
It's horseshit and almost got me into a couple of fights when we were younger.

The only other person I believe is an Ni dom, is a friends partner - we've always just clicked, no words really need to be said - I've barely spoken to her, yet I just know there's some kind of bond there - not a sexual one, just a "knowing" one, I suppose you'd call it.

It's hard to explain, but it's like she "sees me" and I "see her", if that makes sense.

It's a similar connection to my INTJ friend that I play music with, not the same, because the INTJ and I know each other now so there's no real need for that kind of.. disconnection?.. Feels like the wrong word but it's really accurate at the same time.

Anyway, those are the ones I have that whole sorta "glance" thing with, and probably not coincidentally they're the ones I laugh with the most (besides the INxJ girl and for all I know she's not Ni at all, I've just typed her myself).

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Turi thanks for sharing!! I'm having a great time empathizing, and I cracked up about the Mario Kart 8!

Your experience doesn't totally back up my original idea, but now I just have a lot more to ponder :) I hope the people who look at this thread are up for a challenge!

My half-baked ideas:
Si is a close relative of Ni, and you and the ISTJ also share Te-aux, as well as a long friendship! That long exposure works wonders, especially since Si has a great personal memory for that kind of stuff. Some of what you described sounds a bit clunky, but it's functional—you mentioned him at the very beginning.

For the INTP, I'm thinking Ne + Si = an approximation of Ni? Or Ne is just an open book since it's extraverted. And playing music is just magical anyway.

I can give and receive "the look" from my INFJ companions, but I'd say it takes a little longer, comparatively, to become fluent/natural. First, one is my mother, and my dad is INTJ, and they know me very well!! We can have a hee-haw time together, as my mother puts it! The other INFJ lived with me for two years, and we got pretty close. We also did music together. It's just that now when I see her, it's like we don't know each other for a little bit, and we have to become reacquainted. I'm currently rooming with another INFJ, and we aren't there yet, but it will come!

Reactions: Jewl and Turi

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am not sure if I know any Ni-doms in real life, but I had such moments with a friend who was definitely not a Ni user (he was likely a Se-dom, I think). It was fun. We are not friends anymore, unfortunately and I do miss having those silly moments, laughing at stuff others wouldn't understand (at first, at least) and talking in our own personal way.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I've found Ne extremely attractive during conversations. Although Ne-doms are a lot faster than I am to process an idea and move on to the next, we definitely feed one another and build on each other. I knew an ENFP and one of my best friends is an ENTP. While around others, I feel either I am the only one going off tangents and trying to focus, when I am around ENFP and ENTP, I feel safe to be going off tangents. I do not need to collect myself when making a point. It was already understood and moved on. And similar humor comes from this. ENTP has the sense of humor I absolutely adore, and cannot stop laughing. I feed them with one Ne-oriented comment, and they will say 5 more things. It's mutually understood and both find it very entertaining.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I get this from my closest friends, so I'm not sure it really has to do with thinking similarly, or we just know each other really well. They've all taken tests and know stuff about type because I've gotten them all into it haha.

I do have this tendency to connect well with INTPs. Though I did marry one, and perhaps that way of thinking has just become familiar to me over the years. :) Everyone expects us to gets into arguments because of Ti vs. Fi, saying they "clash". I do not believe functions "clash". People do. I find the way we think to even be complementary. He's always trying to see how things fit and perfecting this framework of thought he has, and I'm always wondering about things. I associate and see relations between ideas - sometimes more quickly than him, but I'm not caring so much whether they're valid. He will take time to ponder and sort it out more than me. While he works on understanding it - what makes it what it is, how it fits in with how he understands stuff... I'll be weighing its significance (Fi). Our ways of thinking just work out really well together.

And we know each other better than anyone. In different situations now I will notice the things that would stick out to him and what they might make him think about. And he says he does the same thing now with me haha.

Two of my dearest friends are ESFJs. I don't understand why this type gets such a bad rap.

They're like sisters to me. They're both smart - one actually studied computer programming for a while, although her passion is raising awareness about social injustice. She's currently traveling around the US with some non-profit doing presentations and engaging people and things like that. The other is going into the nursing field and is also heavy into missions trips and leading small groups in this campus ministry she's a part of. They were both bridesmaids at my wedding actually. We know each other well. I have inside jokes with each of them. Often we can look at each other and know what we're thinking. It's just because we're so close.

I think we do think similarly a bit - connecting on our shared Ne-Si. Wandering around with them can turn into something kind of whimsical and storybookish.

I am also close to two ESTPs, two ISFJs, an ESTJ... I've definitely connected well with this one ESFP I know. Maybe it's the Fi.

I do have a friend who is not as close who is a fellow ENFP. I relate to him a lot on many things - some of his struggles are familiar to me. But we don't have any magical mind reading moments like I have with my close friends. I just find I "get" him sometimes, but not necessarily in what I'd call a "deep" sense.

*shrugs*

EDIT: STORYTIME Tbh, the most magical "I see you, I get you" moment I had was with someone who was more a stranger to me. He didn't strike me as a Ne-dom or even Ne-aux, though. He was for sure Introverted. It's not like he didn't like people... I just thought he seemed like he took so much in, was internalizing it.

It was while I was in community college. He was in my stats class. I watched him as he watched people. One time as I was in line to buy some coffee I caught him having a conversation with the cashier girl. I could tell didn't really know each other, but she was talking quite a bit about her feelings about something that meant a lot to her - and he was genuinely curious. It was the first time I'd ever seen someone curious kind of in the same way I was curious about other people.

But the next time I saw him, we had a good conversation.

I said hello from where I was sitting. He kind of just looked at me knowingly. We ended up talking in this hilarious way in order to probe each other's mind and get at how the other person was thinking. It was so natural the way we both went about it. It's like what we did when around other people, but less hidden. He told me he had noticed I was so surrounded by others. But he noticed that oftentimes when I'm with a group, it's like I'm mostly observing the people around me and the way they interact, and then occasionally I'll join in - and then go back to observing, like it's just natural to do so and without anybody truly noticing.

Nobody, I repeat nobody, had ever noticed this before. I tried to articulate why I did this for him - how I loved to figure out how people think. Why did I know interact with so many people? - no matter who the person is, I feel there is always the possibility they could be a friend or something.

He apologized at this point, said that this may come across as intrusive.

I smiled knowingly this time. I highly doubted that anyone ever thought he was intrusive. "It's fine," I told him. "I get the feeling you're one of those people who others unknowingly tell their whole lives' stories to."

At this, he began to laugh. "You're more perceptive than I thought," he said.

We never met again. I will never forget the interaction.

Reactions: Turi

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Probably not related to functions as much as it is to experience. Like, I like to think that I sometimes have a moment of understanding from just having eye contact with someone and I think that's because their look looks sympathetic to me, so basically I think they understand me because I assume that they can read my mind or something. Try this: Be yourself for a week. By that I mean that you don't make up any emotions outwardly that don't correspond with how you're feeling internally, so don't fake laughter for the sake of getting out of an awkward situation for example. This way you'll find out which people truly are your friends and who you're just keeping around to get something out of, or even what you do just because you're afraid. Fun experiment, really, I've never felt so lonely and empty in my entire life.

And no, what you're talking about OP is just some Fe-shit tricking your Fi.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts