Personality Cafe banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The first time I took the test 6 years ago, I got INFP. And I have never doubted my type ever since.

Strangely enough, other people, especially those who doesn't know me well enough has often told me that I behave like an ISTJ and have these traits: robot-like, uptight, emotionless, stubborn, overly rigid, booksmart but not streetsmart, take some chill pill dude, etc.

·
Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
327 Posts
I think the best way is to find your dominant and inferior functions. The inferior was easier for me to identify. And then the aux-tert. Once you find the dominant and inferior, the ones in the middle will be fairly easier. Maybe, make a post and answer those commonly used questionnaire questions. That's what I did and it was pretty helpful.
Thanks, to me it wasn't.
I don't seem to repress Se.
What I try to do is watch videos about people expressing themselves and see the similitude.
I tend to see some with enfp, infj, but then add to this the four sides of the mind, trickster and so on, and I get lost. Cause suddenly you run the risk to think " oh yes maybe I am in my superego which would mean this and that..." A dead end !

·
Registered
*NFP 852 Intellectual ambivert, amphibian, empath, strategist, mystical, anarchist, weird stuff
327 Posts
The first time I took the test 6 years ago, I got INFP. And I have never doubted my type ever since.

Strangely enough, other people, especially those who doesn't know me well enough has often told me that I behave like an ISTJ and have these traits: robot-like, uptight, emotionless, stubborn, overly rigid, booksmart but not streetsmart, take some chill pill dude, etc.
Did it work ? The chill pill I mean...

·
Registered
433 Posts
mistyped as intj around 20 yrs ago when i was first exposed to mbti
i was wrongly attributing my ability to process abstract stuff as n
and misunderstood my ti as j
even the test showed me as intj and i simply took it in as fact without knowing (se)

i only came to know my true type years later in my 20s
at the time i was being asked to write articles for a team to teach them how i did what i did
it was only when i saw my own words then i realised the way i process cant be intj
and revisited mbti and had a harder look at the theory and what it really means etc
now im pretty certain of my type

my experience is that one should not get tested too early
its easy to go down the wrong route

·
Registered
INFJ still fits least bad
6,813 Posts
When listening to Psychological Types, the two functions that I found the most relatable were introverted intuition and introverted feeling; I've always vacillated between INFJ and INFP.

I think in the Jungian sense I'd be strictly INFP, but I put INFJ on my description, because most MBTI enthusiasts will generally see introverted intuition with a feeling preference as INFJ, and I do have moments where I might relate to extraverted feeling as well.

I can relate to extraverted intuition in the sense that my inner world seems like an Ne-doms outer world. I tend to explore possibilities internally, but, in the end seek conclusions. I suppose this is why I sometimes find the company of Ne types tiring, especially when brainstorming because I'll think "I've considered all this. Now I'm ready pick a direction and go in it."

·
Registered
ISTP
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Thanks, to me it wasn't.
I don't seem to repress Se.
What I try to do is watch videos about people expressing themselves and see the similitude.
I tend to see some with enfp, infj, but then add to this the four sides of the mind, trickster and so on, and I get lost. Cause suddenly you run the risk to think " oh yes maybe I am in my superego which would mean this and that..." A dead end !
I guess then maybe do a questionnaire thing. That way people can help and you might just figure out what type you are while you answer the questions.

·
Registered
ISTP
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
mistyped as intj around 20 yrs ago when i was first exposed to mbti
i was wrongly attributing my ability to process abstract stuff as n
and misunderstood my ti as j
even the test showed me as intj and i simply took it in as fact without knowing (se)

i only came to know my true type years later in my 20s
at the time i was being asked to write articles for a team to teach them how i did what i did
it was only when i saw my own words then i realised the way i process cant be intj
and revisited mbti and had a harder look at the theory and what it really means etc
now im pretty certain of my type

my experience is that one should not get tested too early
its easy to go down the wrong route
Especially, when you are in a loop, or maybe one of your shadow functions malfunctioned, your type comes out different. Even in a loop and with trickster Ne, my results still came out as ISTP and on top of that, I thought I was an extremely organized person and put strongly agree for all of those questions and still ended up getting P. I know dichotomies aren't very detailed but still.

·
Registered
ISTP
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
When listening to Psychological Types, the two functions that I found the most relatable were introverted intuition and introverted feeling; I've always vacillated between INFJ and INFP.

I think in the Jungian sense I'd be strictly INFP, but I put INFJ on my description, because most MBTI enthusiasts will generally see introverted intuition with a feeling preference as INFJ, and I do have moments where I might relate to extraverted feeling as well.

I can relate to extraverted intuition in the sense that my inner world seems like an Ne-doms outer world. I tend to explore possibilities internally, but, in the end seek conclusions. I suppose this is why I sometimes find the company of Ne types tiring, especially when brainstorming because I'll think "I've considered all this. Now I'm ready pick a direction and go in it."
Maybe, you mistook one of them as something else? Like, someone could mistake Fi as Ti, or Ti-Ni as Ni-Te.

·
Registered
ISTP
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All of the XXTP types and XSXP types, so basically any Ti or Se dom/aux. I eventually narrowed it down to XSTP. I have gotten ESTP on several online tests lately, and although I know those tests aren't perfectly accurate, I am considering it - I still think Ti dom fits better for now though. I am also still considering XNTP.
Maybe look into what makes you inferior more? Or the shadow functions. That's what I always think about when I start thinking I'm not an ISTP but an ESTP.

·
Registered
ISTP 9w8 ♀
320 Posts
Maybe look into what makes you inferior more? Or the shadow functions. That's what I always think about when I start thinking I'm not an ISTP but an ESTP.
I looked into it a bit and compared both XSTP types. I think both trickster and demon Fi sound about right, but I don't see myself as Ne-blind which is what Ne PoLR seems to suggest. I will look into it more though, thanks for the suggestion! :)

·
Registered
ISTP
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I looked into it a bit and compared both XSTP types. I think both trickster and demon Fi sound about right, but I don't see myself as Ne-blind which is what Ne PoLR seems to suggest. I will look into it more though, thanks for the suggestion! :)
No problem! I feel like I'm not useless when I help so it's fun to help.

·
Registered
Occasionally Digitigrade
2,092 Posts
I was never quite sure how to type myself. There is this difficult relationship between who you think you are and would do, what you actually are and do, and what other people think you are and do. And the truth is probably somewhere indeterminate along an axis of degrees.

And typology systems, even within the same one like MBTI, have many different angles and takes. Plus I was always a mercurial person and so on any given day (even within the same day) I would act in multiple different ways with different people and in different contexts. Sometimes I would simply be at different states of mind throughout the day regardless of contexts or people, but I was never able to distill this down into something reliable. I couldn't get a clear answer from playing a numbers game of insert thinking/action/form through which those are filtered and then tick off what happened the most, as it turns out they all happened somewhat equally.

Some would say this is a sign of an undifferentiated type or someone who has developed in an abnormal manner. This might be true, though I also believe that perhaps the theory (or theories) really just aren't that helpful to me as an individual. Typology may also be very flawed, though I think some of Jung's intuitions about people were heading in the right direction, helped perhaps, by his clinical engagement with patients.

I settled on Fe dom largely because I mistook my anxiety disorder, among other disorders, to be a normal state of functioning and so an aversion to emotional disruption and conflict I took to align with wanting the Fe notion (I'm generalising here) of group feeling to be pleasant for all parties. This was the strongest impulse within me, that of not wanting emotional disruption.

Incidentally, and this is a digression, while I generally favour this more recent appraisal of mental illness as something to be discussed and understood, out in the open, I am very cynical of those who I detect are using it as an excuse and/or as a way to garner attention through difference. Anyone who has suffered from such dysfunction would likely see it as an obstacle to living (for want of a better word) 'normally'. And I don't use the term 'normally' as lightly as to mean what everyone else is doing but as living unimpeded and influenced by something that is not tied to circumstance or situation.

In other words, I would constantly feel impulses and emotions that were unconcerned with context, reason or preference. These would then attach themselves to whatever and whenever and create emotions and thoughts that I can only describe as distorted. I've tried a lot of things to get this as under control as possible, so that I can act as freely (or as close to within the causal puzzle of our actions) as I would like. This makes self-examination difficult, as it's hard to trust your own thoughts and feelings under those conditions.

There are some who feel that the broken and mad are somehow more insightful and evolved. And there are certainly ideas and insights that can come from those areas which are very revealing and which many people may not have thought about otherwise. However, on a personal level, I can only see it as a confusing obstacle, which stands in the way of knowing any kind of truth about myself.

This has made it difficult to look at myself with any objectivity and claim to understand the patterns that drive me since the patterns themselves are being twisted through a kaleidoscope hidden from consciousness. However, maybe that is just the unconscious.

I suppose the one overall drive is that I constantly question any decision with "will this cause unnecessary harm"? And what is or isn't necessary is complicated and often personal and therefore open to the abuses of ego-centric drives. But I do know that sometimes you have to harm to help, you have to stand up to people and upset them in order to do what can be considered right, with conviction.

And that is a strong drive in my life, but I am also quite flappable, I'm easily defeated and can be very weak. So I had to make myself...almost my own enemy, and look harshly at my actions and emotions. To leave some aspect of my mind to be vigilant to whatever might arise so that I can catch myself in the moment and turn weakness into strength.
This careful of introspection/self-understanding is usually characteristic of an introverted type. Perhaps the difficulties you've faced has bent you in that direction. I've had questions about type development in this regard - how much of it is indicating life experiences rather than any natural inclination. Big 5 results can morph over time, including in response to traumas.

·
Registered
ESFP 7w6 sp/so 479
74 Posts
I wanted to make the title a bit short but if you didn't understand the question, I was asking: When you typed yourself, which type did you confuse yourself with. And if you didn't get confused at all, which type are you most similar to? Mine is INTJ or INTP.
When i first got into MBTI and was typing myself my alternative types were ISFP, ESFJ and ENFP

·
Registered
ENTJ
1,290 Posts
I wanted to make the title a bit short but if you didn't understand the question, I was asking: When you typed yourself, which type did you confuse yourself with. And if you didn't get confused at all, which type are you most similar to? Mine is INTJ or INTP.
Supposed true type: ENTJ
Other similar types I got from tests: INTJ, ESTJ

·
Registered
INFJ still fits least bad
6,813 Posts
Maybe, you mistook one of them as something else? Like, someone could mistake Fi as Ti, or Ti-Ni as Ni-Te.
Could be. I started a thread about how I seem to think link Jung's description of an introverted feeler,but not act like one.
It could be just filtered through general introversion, which generally looks at life through more subjective lenses.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
INTJ-A. My abnormally high Fi & Ne are reminiscent of INFP, but I’m unfortunately nowhere near as adorable.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Typed myself as INFP. My real type is INTP.

·
Boaz & Jachin
ENTJ · LIE · VLEF 8w7 · 836 · Sx/Sp
15,031 Posts
INTJ and ESTJ.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts