Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....Do you look dreamier than you thought you did? :laughing:

I ask, because I just watched a few videos taken by my mom from last Christmas. I didn't know I looked so awkward haha. Even my so called "warm laugh" looked more like awkward chuckling. Like I was sooo deep in my own thoughts I had no idea what was going on lol.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Hmm.. i dunno , i never paid attention,but now that u said it i'm gonna take a look...

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I cannot stand to watch videos of myself or hear recordings of my voice. I do not allow myself to be videoed if I can possibly help it. I usually have a sort of sixth sense when it comes to camera being pointed at my person, and just sort of fade into the background, or conveniently obscure my face.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I cannot stand to watch videos of myself or hear recordings of my voice. I do not allow myself to be videoed if I can possibly help it. I usually have a sort of sixth sense when it comes to camera being pointed at my person, and just sort of fade into the background, or conveniently obscure my face.
You and me both, my friend. If someone has a video of me, they can watch it by themselves - I don't want to see it and be subjected to my lack of photogenic...ness.

Same goes for voice recordings. Hate my voice. Ugh.

But I doubt I look "dreamy" anyway.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You and me both, my friend. If someone has a video of me, they can watch it by themselves - I don't want to see it and be subjected to my lack of photogenic...ness.

Same goes for voice recordings. Hate my voice. Ugh.

But I doubt I look "dreamy" anyway.
My old phone occasionally had this reverberation thing going on, where every time I spoke, whatever I said was repeated back to me. It drove me so crazy hearing my own voice that I was forced to hang up and try calling back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Agreed, My wife tells me she loves the sound of my voice, but I hear the complete opposite. I appear in pictures & videos only when absolutely necessary.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Most of the times I can't recognize myself in videos. Not physically, but how I've portrayed myself in them. I'm usually, "whoa, is that me?"

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
Like others, I avoid cameras like the plague. I cannot remember the last time I watched a video of myself as an adult and not a child.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I used to hate pictures because they always turned out lame or caught me off guard, but I feel like denying photos of me means less to think about when I go back to a memory. Or if someone wants to remember something I kind of ruined it by hiding. So I decided to just pose for the camera and take repeat photos until one comes out the way I like. ^_^ However videos do make me feel weird. I don't look like how I perceive myself to be and my voice sounds weird. Recordings too sound weird. I just would rather have people see me do something the first time than see me on video. Especially videos from when I was younger. Please don't let those atrocities resurface. -_-

Reactions: jennandtonic

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Usually, my voice is much higher and child-like on recordings and like @Iconoclastic Visionary, depending on what self was present at the time, I probably can't recognize myself (or more alarmingly, I recognize a complete idiot that has somehow endeared themselves to my closest friends rather than remaining trapped in my bedroom mirror!).
It's difficult; with a background in choir/solo singing and theater performance, I thoroughly enjoy the work and losing myself in a different skin. But, it doesn't seem like it's meant for my eyes, the result.
Only the act of doing it, the thrill of creation.
People expect also, that one is permanently the self that they portrayed on a particular day, which couldn't be farther from the truth! We both are and are not that person.
So, please, warn me.
Does it involve me cackling like a hyena? Or worse, am I leading a cha-cha train?
Yes, warn me.

·
Super Moderator
11,516 Posts
Shoot, I don't even like pictures of me (I normally look like a frightened deer or some goofy face), much less seeing myself in a video. There are none. Thank goodness! lol

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm pretty critical of myself and don't particularly care for pictures of me, i can handle that though. And generally videos look how i imagine i am. What I hate, like others have mentioned, is the sound of my own voice. I can't listen to it and will even avoid speaking if i know i am being recorded. it sounds very high and like a young girl's voice. Others have told me i am nuts but i don't think so. My voice doesn't sound like "me" to myself, so i hate it.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Same here. I can tolerate most regular cameras, though. I just can't stand video cameras, in fact, I think I've only ever been recorded three times in my entire life. Each time was when I accepted some kind of award or participated in a graduation.

I also can't stand the sound of my voice when recorded. It sounds so...wan. All the wonderful resonance that my skull creates when I speak is totally gone, and all the power goes out of my voice. I sound incredibly young when I listen to myself. It's highly disturbing, so I avoid it. When my cell phone picks up an echo, the hatred at my recorded voice bouncing back like its mocking me is so great that I HAVE to hang up and call the person back.

In photographs, though, I don't really look dreamy. I don't look completely present, either. Nor am I terribly photogenic. It's only in the last few years that I've managed to get smiling correct and look semi-genuine (I just think of something wryly amusing...so it's more like a smirk than anything). All other times, I either looked like a grinning maniac, or some unemotional zombie.

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I avoid being filmed/photographed as much as possible. >_<

I don't mind recording my voice though. It always sounds different and nice compared to what I naturally hear myself sound like. ^_^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts