Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Then how could you still able to keep living in this reality/real world, day by day, day to day, that sometimes all our daily things can seem to be very...limited, mundane, repetitive, and even may seem like "that's all there is" in our limited life?..

How did you find the strengths to continue on?
What's the main drive/motivation or mindset/philosophy you have, to undergo all of this?

Reactions: ImminentThunder

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The people who get good at anything practice the basics over and over again. In anything whether it's martial arts or basketball or cooking or playing guitar, it's the basics practiced over and over and over that make you good. Repetition is the mother of skill. But when people learn guitar, they want to play Stairway to Heaven right away instead of drilling finger work and scales.

I see people living life like that, not just INFPs. Everyone wants the next new thing and we rush towards it wondering why were not happy when we get it. We assume that finding happiness is some complicated thing like playing Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring and that until we get to that big goal in our life then we can't be happy. In order to play something that complicated requires hundreds of hours of basic finger exercises. People want to skip the basics of learning to live and want to jump to the part where they're really good at life.

Everybody has different basics. You practice the basics over and over, everyday until you get really good at them. So when things get hard, the basics come automatically so you don't have to think about them. It's this ability to do the basics without thinking about them in times of stress, doubt, worry and trouble that makes you good at living.

My basics are simple:

Breathing
Gratitude
Being present in the now
Openness
Authenticity

Some I'm good at. Some I just started really understanding and learning. But practice makes perfect and I practice everyday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesu,_Joy_of_Man's_Desiring

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Then how could you still able to keep living in this reality/real world, day by day, day to day, that sometimes all our daily things can seem to be very...limited, mundane, repetitive, and even may seem like "that's all there is" in our limited life?..

How did you find the strengths to continue on?
What's the main drive/motivation or mindset/philosophy you have, to undergo all of this?
...I write fantasy novels.

And I'm a ninja.

Nuff said.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I write out the fantasies I'm seeing in my head. Even when I'm away from my computer and cannot type or look up things that would pertain to those fantasies, they're constantly playing out in my head. Basically I'm not very down-to-earth and always daydreaming...sigh.
No need to sigh... this is actually in character with who you are, and good for you. Many writers are like you, and daydreaming is a beautiful endeavor. We don't always need to be practical or "down to earth"; we just have to be when it's needed. :)

I agree with Mr infpblog (is it Corin?) approach, just keep doing what you need to do, and you'll eventually be good and find yourself more at ease with that which seems all but strange in your own special (but wholly valid) world. Life is good, Niki, we just have to learn to adapt while still being ourselves. Keep at it, and always realize there's a reason to smile and strive for our dreams.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I'm the type of person that gets bored incredibly easily and generally that's a bad trait to have. Still, it forces me to put myself out there, break my own personal barriers (ahem, shyness / introversion), and make things interesting.

I can tell you a bunch of times I stepped outside of my shell and did things completely unexpected of me. God damn, I was nervous as fuck every single time, but I notice that the things I did are usually the stories I'll end up sharing with others. In the end, reflecting on myself, whether I think I was crazy, a moron, or didn't think things through, I just have to laugh.

I'm sure you know the common INFP trait of talking to ourselves, often reciting a conversation we -may- (but likely not) have with others. That's using your imagination, but going out and ACTUALLY talking to someone and seeing whether it goes to plan is combining imagination with reality. Were you right? Were you wrong? Did something completely unexpected happen? That unknown parallel is great for the adrenaline when you're just about to make your move. If you are right, then it's great for your confidence; if you were wrong, then you just learned something.

Live, laugh, learn. Repeat it and you'll never get bored.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts