Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do? Do you blindly follow it or do you analyze it and weigh the consequences that it may bring?

I've asked this question to other people, and some have told me that I shouldn't analyze it because I'll take the purity of the message my intuition has given to me, but others have said that just doing it may be foolish because I'll regret it later on.

I usually listen to my intuition in small matters, but when this voice tells you to do something off the norm, and something that could potentially be devastating in the long run, I may not be as trusting as maybe I should.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Since I don't know what kind of decisions you are talking about, it is not that easy to give you an advice. Generally I would say follow your intuition and I can't think of an example which I would consider so 'potentially devastating on the long run' that I would take back that advice. However, it is always best to plan carefully. If you have a big decision to make, make sure you make it as safe as possible. And another advice which mostly applys to relationships: Try to destinct between intuition and emotion. (For example: I tend to fall in love while my intuition tells me that he is not right for me. Plus, my logical side just discusses if it was possible or not.) I'm not sure if I could answer your question; it would be helpful if you could specify it more.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
To me.. they are interdependent of each other.
What clashes is my T and F.. Because these are the subjective rational action functions.. It makes sense that all inner conflict and outer conflict is a clash of subjective and objective criteria.. T and F .. N and S are how we perceive .. T and F are how we express it to others and ourselves. Your intuition feeds the conflict rather than clashes with it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Interesting. I am currently going through this. I feel the purity of my intuition, then logic springs up and barfs all over intuition.

I find the most reasonable approach is that if a logical conclusion appears, I should note that logical conclusion quickly down and make sure I don't lose sight of my intuition.

Later, as more information appears, it will become apparent whether I should have followed the logic - but since I have noted it down, I am free to follow it once again.

The other side of the coin is that following a logical conclusion may bring more intuitive perceptions. As the idea becomes complete, I can see how the idea relates to other ideas etc. I may have then wasted my time following the intuition, and missed out on the intuitions logic brings.

My final thoughts are, why should I have to settle? This is where I make use of Si as the 8th function as "transformative." It's a trial-and-error process, thinking of what paths to follow; but if I analyze how I think, remember how I have thought before, I will avoid making the same mistakes again when searching the mind, thus improving efficiency of intuition.

Just don't get caught up in the details of what you are analyzing...that I will tell you for sure. Those you can fill in later, always.

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh, I made a typo on the title.

Anyways...I think I should give a little background info as to why I asked this question.

I graduated college past December and since then I've been trying to adapt to this lifestyle of trying to find a job, settle, find someone, marry, have kids and all that jazz. After all, that's what people do, it's normal.

However, as of lately, in the midsts of all the wonderful plans I have for my future, I would from time to time hear this inner voice that that isn't the lifestyle that I should go after. That this will not bring me the peace of mind that I crave for, it says. Furthermore, its gotten so strong the past couple of weeks that I'm even having nightmares of me actually fulfilling my wonderous dreams of getting an amazing job, marrying someone but I would still be very miserable in the end; that I went after the wrong path.

So now I'm extremely confused as to what I should do. Should I ignore this voice and just go on with my plans or should I go off the beaten path and find whatever I was set to do even though I have no idea where to start or what it is to begin with? Of course, it is a lot more comfortable to go with plan A(which is doing what a normal human being in a western society is expeced to do) because I have more control over that over just following this voice that has no direction. At the same time, though, will ignoring this voice prevent me from really achieving true happiness and growing up as a person?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would say follow your intuition even though it might take a lot of time to find out what you really want. If your original plans give you nightmares, that certainly is not the path you should choose, maybe just not for now, because you won't find fullfillment and happiness there (right now). And if you just graduated you are still comparatively young. I'm only 19 and I have to remind myself very often that I might live until I'm ninety and that there is enough time for (almost) everything and also that there are still so many things to experience. So go for it! Explore the possibilities!

Reactions: Killbain and Alaya

·
Registered
INFJ 6w5, 1w2, 2w1 Sx/Sp
10,471 Posts
Sounds like you just have a lot of soul searching to do and you don't really know what you want yet. I agree that you should do some exploring in hopes that you will find your "calling." Sometimes you have to experiment with various things before you find what that is. Living a cookie cutter lifestyle is obviously not what you want so that's a start. Some day you may genuinely want a wife and kids etc. but right now, that's obviously not the case. Life is an interesting journey :)

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I should follow my intuition more. It seems my Ti can really overpower my Fe sometimes. I'll find holes in my Ni and try to brush it off because I can't make my intuitive hunches sound logical to myself. ...but I almost ALWAYS regret that.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
been there...and am back there again.

right now my intuition is shouting one thing to me and my logic is questioning its veracity. the conflict is very real; it's hard to know which to trust. i can't say my intuition, on any occasion when it has been this blaringly insistent in the past, has ever been wrong, and usually regret has been the ultimate consequence when i have ignored its loud voice, so i'm paying close attention this time.

but this is a huge decision. the internal civil war between intuition and logic is at a stalemate, no peace treaties or surrenders yet, so it's unclear the ultimate result of the negotiations. without additional information that will either confirm or deny what the gut is shouting, it could go either way ~ so i'll have to ride it out ~ with caution ~ temporarily, until more data becomes available.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
What do you do? Do you blindly follow it or do you analyze it and weigh the consequences that it may bring?

I've asked this question to other people, and some have told me that I shouldn't analyze it because I'll take the purity of the message my intuition has given to me, but others have said that just doing it may be foolish because I'll regret it later on.

I usually listen to my intuition in small matters, but when this voice tells you to do something off the norm, and something that could potentially be devastating in the long run, I may not be as trusting as maybe I should.

What are your thoughts?
This can depend,

On a typical basis the conflict can for the most be for a cause, The separation of such can depend on the person.
Intuition is not some higher power as to follow blindly but not saying to not follow one's Intuition either.
If something is amidst inside ones soul, heart, unconscious, etc. Something can also be admist within one's Intuition.
The key to a intuitive is to learn to trust one's Intuition but at the same time learning how to.
To notice when or what one's Intuition is telling them and not denying the flaws within oneself while at the same time.
For within these flaws if overlooked and or denied can make one's Intuition point it out.
If one never learns to not only trust their Intuition but also at same time Intuition learning oneself.
Then when a conflict arises how will one know if it is just not trusting Intuition or ignoring it?
Which in such the look within once again arises and at times reaches out for support.
While no one can really tell such person left or right yes or no trust or do not trust follow or stop.
Those little moments of objective reasoning can help clear one's doubts to the answers they already know.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
been there...and am back there again.

right now my intuition is shouting one thing to me and my logic is questioning its veracity. the conflict is very real; it's hard to know which to trust. i can't say my intuition, on any occasion when it has been this blaringly insistent in the past, has ever been wrong, and usually regret has been the ultimate consequence when i have ignored its loud voice, so i'm paying close attention this time.

but this is a huge decision. the internal civil war between intuition and logic is at a stalemate, no peace treaties or surrenders yet, so it's unclear the ultimate result of the negotiations. without additional information that will either confirm or deny what the gut is shouting, it could go either way ~ so i'll have to ride it out ~ with caution ~ temporarily, until more data becomes available.
Types are soooooo different. I've got Ne screaming at me all the time, and poor Ti trying to filter it and getting exhausted.

So, I'm 46. An old fart. And take it for what you paid for it.
First, are there kids involved? IF you have kids, take care of them. They are everything.
Second. are you married or seriously commited to someone? Then be honest with her/him. And if you are not sure, use a condom.

Third. Go for it. Chase your dreams. No one ever looks back on their life and says "Gee, I wish I had skipped that trip to the beach and spent more time in the office. I wish I hadn't run the snowcats in central Idaho and instead work for corporate America."

Life is short. Live it.

Reactions: emerald sea

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
As far as settling right out of college, I would say follow your intuition and figure out what makes you tick before you blindly go down the beaten path. I've learned to trust my instincts over the years, any time I've ignored that little voice I've been sorry.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have this happen a lot. And the way that I handle it is that I sort of dive into myself for a period of time to utilize my intuition even MORE so. Sometimes I mistake "gut feelings"/intuition for something else-- sometimes, I can get a little paranoid and I can REALLY FEEL like I have some nagging and valid gut feeling about something when it is a sort of FEAR stemming from something else-- usually a past experience. I hope that makes any sense.

Anyway, if that gut feeling is real, I trust my intuition. Always. I think that it is so so so important to trust thyself.

If the gut feeling is questionable though, and logic is conflicting with it, I try to work out where the feeling is stemming through and then apply logic instead.

Usually logic and intuition don't conflict unless I am mistaking something else for intuition or if I am forcing myself against my intution (such as in a case where I really want to trust someone that deep down inside I know I can't).

Gah..I really don't know how to word any of this! I'm sorry. :(

Point blank: my sincere intuition is always trustworthy. There is a HUGE difference between paranoia/jumping to conclusions and intuition. And if I examine it enough I can determine the difference-- real intuition is there for a reason, and it has always served me well.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm glad I found this thread. I've been waging war between my intuition and logic for probably half a year now. My intuition tells me I should go back to school and study psychology. My logic tells me it's not as lucrative as the degree I already have (BA in Economics) and that I'll have to go into debt to finance further study, which scares me.

Today I suddenly came to the realization that I need to follow my intuition. It's telling me that I might find something I actually love, something I'm passionate about. I almost feel like finding this thread was some sort of sign.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always follow my intuition because whenever I don't, I end up regretting it big time. If I make a decision that I don't feel right about just using my mind, it always ends up bringing me hardships or sorrow. On the other hand, if I make a decision straight from the heart, it always brings me peace, happiness, and success. Never fails. Therefore, I have learned by now to trust how I feel about things from the get go and to let my heart rule. :) I think our society frowns on people using intuition or hunches as a basis for anything, and that's why many intuitive types feel guilty for relying on or paying too much attention to their feelings. Logic is respected, but intuition is not. But I think that is a defect in our society. We shouldn't have to conform to strictly logical thinking when 'inner guidance' is more of our personal strength. It takes all kinds of people to make up the world.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Types are soooooo different. I've got Ne screaming at me all the time, and poor Ti trying to filter it and getting exhausted.

So, I'm 46. An old fart. And take it for what you paid for it.
First, are there kids involved? IF you have kids, take care of them. They are everything.
Second. are you married or seriously commited to someone? Then be honest with her/him. And if you are not sure, use a condom.

Third. Go for it. Chase your dreams. No one ever looks back on their life and says "Gee, I wish I had skipped that trip to the beach and spent more time in the office. I wish I hadn't run the snowcats in central Idaho and instead work for corporate America."

Life is short. Live it.
thanks for your concern and counsel. :) it's not family-related, but as a private person, i would prefer not to share the details.

·
Meh.
ENTJ
8,081 Posts
I really try to not blindly and impulsively follow my intuition. I simply don't take decisions quickly. Internally I'll 'know' yes/no or left/right etc. But I'll sit back and wait until the external world actually lines up with what I already concluded internally.

I don't let logic stand in the way of a leap of faith but I use it to take calculated risks when my intuition clearly points me in a certain direction or towards a certain solution.

I must say that the 'older' I get, the more of a grip I get on this process. I don't think I did this any less when I was younger but I wasn't as aware of it as I am nowadays.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts