Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"You know you’re an INFJ when: you find yourself in a position where you are being looked upon for ideas or to share your vision regarding insert topic here and suddenly a small piece of your heart explodes out of your chest, splattering the wall with sparkling rainbow flecks of color and then you verbally paint for these attentive listeners the most vivid picture of all-the-things that could be about this topic that you’ve ever dreamed of. "

Does this happen to you?
How is usually received by others? Whom? Do they encourage you/ discourage you?
How do you deal with those who seem to be unable to think in possibilities?
What's your biggest problem when it comes to thinking in ideals with other people?

Yay, topics! :tongue:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The irony of this thread getting ignored is hilarious.. not anymore, though.

I don't get the heart exploding thing, but I've been shot down for a lot of ideas. Making a chessboard in my book with pieces drawn on 32 erasers so we could secretly play chess in free classes was apparently "absurd". Well..fuck those simpletons.

·
Registered
809 Posts
"You know you’re an INFJ when: you find yourself in a position where you are being looked upon for ideas or to share your vision regarding insert topic here and suddenly a small piece of your heart explodes out of your chest, splattering the wall with sparkling rainbow flecks of color and then you verbally paint for these attentive listeners the most vivid picture of all-the-things that could be about this topic that you’ve ever dreamed of. "
Yep, I've shared my ideas before like this, and others don't seem as enthusiastic about them as I do. I think part of the problem, for me at least, is that I don't explain them very well, and I don't feel like explaining unless they have questions. If they ask questions, then they tend to like it better, but if it's too out there for them, then they usually won't give it a chance. I do get discouraged, so I usually keep my ideas to myself unless others really listen and value my opinion, ask questions... I don't like others to judge my ideas too harshly, because I usually have thought about them for a while before sharing.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
If I try to explain the ideas, everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

If I just go and do the ideas, everyone thinks I'm a genius.

<shrug>

Walk the walk rather than talk the talk I suppose? Heck if I know. I do know when I'm on the other end and shooting down an idea, its because I don't think it will ever be seen through because of a combination of <factors>, one possibly being the character of the person I'm talking to. (Others being timing, work involved, how it will be received, human nature, the list goes on...)

In short, less words, more action. People respect action. Be the change and all that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
This happens to me all of the time. I am usually struggling to come up with something and then BAM! A million of ideas come at me with full force. They usually get bundled up together and I try my best to explain them to other people, usually to no avail. Like the other day, I was in our weekly meeting for our school's broadcasting show and we were out of ideas but then I had like twenty at once. I usually don't tell people my ideas with such assertion but we were completely out of ideas so I went ahead and listed them off. Everyone thought half of them were crazy or didn't understand them. Most of them were laughing at me (not in a harsh kind of way) and I finally had to pause because I was out of breath.

Like I said before, I usually don't spit out all of my ideas because I have grown to know that people get overwhelmed by it. My biggest trouble is that people don't usually understand the point I am trying to get at. (-:

·
Registered
101 Posts
So much! I'm on teen council for a youth organization and often times I'll wait until someone asks if I have an idea because otherwise I feel as though it isn't received the way I intend.

Reactions: sierranoelpratt

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
A lot of times, when I do speak up, traditionally someone else will interrupt and start talking over me.

Not the end of the world (their ideas are worth hearing, too), but I usually end up feeling like :

"For a moment there, I thought I wasn't invisible, but wrong again. Never mind . . ."

·
Registered
930 Posts
I usually don't voice my opinions on things because I do not like debating and getting into confrontations with people. But when I hear somebody saying something wrong, I get so angry. Something I am slowly learning is that if I want to stand up for others, I need to start standing up for myself.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
I've found that I can get most of my ideas across if only I:

1. Cut down the explanation to a tenth of what I would normally say
2. Don't make a voice as if I'm giving a kind suggestion, but as if others are idiots if they'd ever disagree
3. Mention cost-benefit
4. Wear a dark t-shirt and have made a workout within 30 hours before I speak

·
Premium Member
6,856 Posts
I wouldn't say it goes quite like what you describes, but my ideas generated by Ne tend to get treated flippantly quite often.

I'm not usually bothered by it, but it would be nice to be able to discuss new ideas/possibilities without other people acting like it's all a big joke. :p

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, thank you so much for your input!
I can relate to it all... I found the best way for using my idea generating powers it to separate the process of idea generation and idea filtering for use and implementation. It's the whole 'step away from your writing before edits' thing that works for me.
I just wrote an article on it hoping to help a few people out... it's a super simple idea, really, but it revolutionized the way I communicate with my (looooong time) boyfriend. I feel SO much better when I feel free to share my ideas without being expected to explain exactly how to achieve them at the same time. It's letting others know my process that has helped me work with others. If they don't respect it at that point, there's not much I can do- but it's worth a shot! Especially around friends and family..
:happy:

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've found that I can get most of my ideas across if only I:

1. Cut down the explanation to a tenth of what I would normally say
2. Don't make a voice as if I'm giving a kind suggestion, but as if others are idiots if they'd ever disagree
3. Mention cost-benefit
4. Wear a dark t-shirt and have made a workout within 30 hours before I speak
#1: Your avatar is golden.
#2: I will absolutely try the dark t-shirt and workout idea next time. I always feel more bad-ass and in control in black anyway. :)

Reactions: UnicornRainbowLove

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sometimes but I either get met with overwhelmed faces (thinking: What the hell is she talking about and why is she suddenly so animated?!) or Plain expressionless faces.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love this thread. It mirrors exactly what's been bothering me lately. Being so hesitant to share any thoughts, feelings, ideas with anyone. And then you do and it comes exploding out, in the way you described it, and using Fe, it's so painfully clear how everyone just looks at you like you're crazy or wrong. Yesterday I was with a few people and whatever I said was constantly ignored, corrected, or scrutinized. Makes me feel so bad about myself, like why do I even bother saying anything to anyone at all? It has gotten to that point now that I am so clammed up I barely speak to anyone, work, family, friends, anyone. Just being myself gets me alone.

Not trying to pity myself, it's just so frustrating being such an odd duck. Maybe it's because INFJ's are not loved by most of the personality types? Or the personality types that comprise most of the population? I hate that so much of what I say other people "correct" it right away. Does anyone else get that? Like automatically what I say is wrong or else it doesn't make any sense. Then I start questioning everything about me because I wanted to be liked and fit in.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If I try to explain the ideas, everyone looks at me like I'm crazy.

If I just go and do the ideas, everyone thinks I'm a genius.
This.

Just because someone shoots down my ideas doesn't mean that I shouldn't follow through. I have good ideas. They're wild, but they're good, and I make them happen. It's hard to get past that feeling that others' rejection is a rejection of me, personally. But it's good to get past it, move toward action.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love this thread. It mirrors exactly what's been bothering me lately. Being so hesitant to share any thoughts, feelings, ideas with anyone. And then you do and it comes exploding out, in the way you described it, and using Fe, it's so painfully clear how everyone just looks at you like you're crazy or wrong. Yesterday I was with a few people and whatever I said was constantly ignored, corrected, or scrutinized. Makes me feel so bad about myself, like why do I even bother saying anything to anyone at all? It has gotten to that point now that I am so clammed up I barely speak to anyone, work, family, friends, anyone. Just being myself gets me alone.

Not trying to pity myself, it's just so frustrating being such an odd duck. Maybe it's because INFJ's are not loved by most of the personality types? Or the personality types that comprise most of the population? I hate that so much of what I say other people "correct" it right away. Does anyone else get that? Like automatically what I say is wrong or else it doesn't make any sense. Then I start questioning everything about me because I wanted to be liked and fit in.
I know what you mean. In a way, I think the reason why they're so willing to shoot down your comments is exactly because you care what they think (as annoying as that is!). The best thing to do is stand your ground (if you truly believe in what you're saying and know that it is very unlikely to be wrong). The annoying thing is, people will be more likely to listen to someone who confidently says false information rather than someone who hesitantly gives the correct information. I completely relate to your 'odd duck' comment, but hey, all of the most successful influential people in this world were odd ducks too :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
It’s rare for me to find satisfaction in sharing the stuff that has the most color within me, with people, in a conversation setting. The stuff I really enjoy is using different mediums and being creative—painting, drawing, coloring, playing music, singing…that stuff REALLY satisfies. I know the thread is more about being visionary and being useful, at least that’s how I read it, more practical venues; but creativity is immediately what I thought of. Being creative gets that energy out into a solid form, same as thought to word/conversation, but it gives so much back to you as well. At least that’s how I see it. From a sort of objective vantage point, this is how I see the gist of the original post: if my ego is put aside, and I don’t hold high expectations of a certain response from others, then I’m not sharing to ‘look cool’ or ‘be admired,’ I’m truly sharing to get a cool idea across and help the world be a better place. Ok that’s step one; intention.
Step 2 is the delivery. You risk a lot when you spew tons of color and passion. There’s no possible way you could know how it hits others, even judging their reactions, as sometimes it takes time for stuff to sink in and be heard/felt. Actually it was suggested to me the other day that if I want my more controversial ideas heard, I need to be gradual about it, because people dislike sudden change usually. So that’s one thing. Another thing is, with the wickedly colorful and developed mind of an introvert, it can’t be guaranteed that some of the more black and white minds are even going to hear it the way you say it…you spew a rainbow, they absorb grey, black, white maybe. So go for the long haul and bring that brilliant idea up again, three more times, chipping away at resistance and armor.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I hate being in this position. I am lucky if I can complete a sentence before I am either interrupted, talked over or ignored as if I didn't instinctively provide the answers the "listeners" wanted. I've have become quite comfortable with keeping plans and ideas to myself and only revealing the final product to my "listeners" when I'm done materializing the product/project. Then they wonder why I never keep them in the loop.
:dry:

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
My ideas tend to come out best on the third or fourth try. Translating not just the conclusion, but the steps taken to get there, isn't the easiest. Working through it a few times usually means I get all the pieces out there, and in the correct order.

Of course this method isn't very beneficial when I need to get the idea out there in real time. At work, in particular, I try to run through the idea in my head a few times before presenting it, and hope I can do it fast enough that the conversation hasn't moved on yet.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts