Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually get mine just before I go to sleep. The quiet atmosphere is a great breeding
place for epiphanies.
I also get them when I'm doing something completely mundane. The backhand of an epiphany can really hurt sometimes...

So, where and when do you usually get your epiphanies?

:cool:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
When I box, attack move, remember to vomit larva, produce more, and return and see the battle went both as predicted and as just as well as it would have if I had been there to direct it rather than macro.

Oh, and when I eat freshly baked bread with butter while staring at the wall and listening to soothing music.

And when I dance! ~.~ But the bread thing comes first because I dance more than I bake. :p

Hmm, and sometimes when I write. Though it sometimes makes me wonder if I'm the only one who'll ever feel like my characters do. XD

·
Premium Member
15,405 Posts
I cannot count how many times answers have come to me in the state just before I wake up -- half asleep and half awake. I think it has to do with brain waves or something like that -- going from delta, theta, alpha to beta. I believe I'm able to tap into *something* that is invisible or covered up to me during my full waking state. Also... many fascinating things happen during that just "waking" state like control of dreams and ghost sightings (at least for me).

Also, in the shower, something about the water on my body and head has made many new ideas come. Ideas drift in, that were hidden from me when not in the shower. Great, new ideas and answers to problems. I once had a seer tell me that water cleanses psychic attachments and makes it easy to think. She also said not to wear clothes two days in a row because they can get energy attachments. I know that sounds nuts. But for me after a shower and new clothes I feel lighter. :blushed:

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm with you, FiNe SiTe. Majority of mine come just before sleep. Usually when I really should be dead tired, but just can't fall into sleep mode. It kind of sucks because I don't always remember it in the morning(like right now), but sometimes a new, exciting thought can lead into 30 minutes of heart thumping where I am extremely awake and branching out the idea.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also often get mine when I'm driving alone at night, and sometimes before bed.

Usually, though, it's when I'm ranting, just spouting off whatever comes into my head about whichever subject. Then somewhere down the line, I hear myself saying something I've never actually thought before. "I'd never thought of it that way before", or "I think that's exactly what it is!" ("it" being the solution, explanation, etc.) If I'm following a tangent, I don't exactly think before I speak, and sometimes my head throws out an epiphany during those times.

Otherwise, it's just when I'm thinking. Kind of like ranting, I guess. If I go down a ten-minute chain of thoughts about something, sometimes the epiphany just comes up after the previous link.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Most of the time I'll think of things while I'm in the shower or right after I wake up, which is essentially the same thing. Also, when I'm getting ready for bed, I'll often stay up for an hour or longer than previously intended just thinking. Sometimes that thinking leads to new insights, other times it's just thinking.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Hi! I have epiphanies. Here is when I have them:

1. In the shower. The water rinses off unimportant thoughts, and I get nice shiny epiphanies aplenty.

2. After I tuck myself in at night. A minute or so after I close my eyes, I feel like I become most honest with myself, and the important connections I ignore during the day throw open the curtains and do a riverdance for me as I mentally clap along before I am at last set adrift into sleepytime.

3. Nature walks. Everything just makes more sense in nature, really. Everything artificial we are surrounded by has the imprint of humanity's faulty reasoning, but in nature, there are patterns of interconnection and identity that God set into motion that have developed throughout the millenia; patterns that have relevance to our own life experiences. So when I walk around and observe things, its a much purer look at the way life really is. Nature isn't out to deceive me and subliminate my mind with its agendas, and I kind of like that!

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I'm cleaning/showering/engaging in a generally mundane life... an epiphany will come. Some fantastic epiphany that sparks of true originality...

Then, in my desperate need to scribble it down, something like the following will occur:

1. I can't find any sort of writing implement to jot it down
2. Pen and paper are sorted, but as I go to shove it down, the amazing thought my brain has formed will evaporate...
3. I write it down and it occurs to me that said 'epiphany' is, on closer inspection, completely idiotic

·
Registered
375 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention...there is a certain kind of epiphany I experience sometimes, humorous ones, which I call "epifunnies" :) ...which can also be further translated "epic funnies".

I tend to get epifunnies in the shower for some reason. Maybe there is something about being disrobed in a stall of shooting water and soap products that gets me thinking funny things. But I often find myself thinking of situations, and without warning I will realize just how funny some aspect of the situation is and I will deafen myself with a sudden burst of mirth. It's usually hard to explain the reason for such an outburst to the other inquiring minds in the household if there are any present.

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Usually in the hypnopompic state, that space where you're not
fully awake yet.
Yea. Also hypnogogic state's are usually fun.
I've hallucinated some interesting things before.

I'm with you, FiNe SiTe. Majority of mine come just before sleep. Usually when I really should be dead tired, but just can't fall into sleep mode. It kind of sucks because I don't always remember it in the morning(like right now), but sometimes a new, exciting thought can lead into 30 minutes of heart thumping where I am extremely awake and branching out the idea.
Yea, I get that heart thumping and branching out of ideas.
It's got to be one of the best feelings.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I get most of mine in the shower.

Seriously.

the second place would be in my car.

In both I can get lost into my own thoughts. I'm basically always by myself, both are or can be relaxing. and of course both are inconvenient to write down said epiphanies.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I get them as I drift off to sleep many times for the most part. Ive also had breif moments of lucidity when i see or hear something that triggers a forgotten thought or idea which is always cool. I also try to get them moments by taking walks at nightfall, I like the calming atmosphere.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I tend to have bouts of insanity. Lots of my best epiphanies come during those times. But in general, day dreaming seems to be the way to access epiphanies.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts