Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to see how ENTPs and ENFPs handle the same kinds of situations and discuss sensitive subjects. ENTP and ENFP share the Dominant characteristic of Ne, but they differ in the Auxiliary and Tertiary functions. ENFP is Ne+Fi+Te and ENTP is Ne+Ti+Fe. Are there some good Youtube videos maybe showing an ENTP and ENFP together dealing with the same question or topic?

I am having problems with this because apparently some ENFPs will use their Te to mask their feelings to others. What I as an INTJ hear is the Te and what I fail to understand is the masked Fi. I want some hands-on experience learning to distinguish these two types.

Reactions: user87

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do you concern yourself with being really yourself and doing productive stuff?
Or do you seek to understand the world logically while also trying to be a "good person" in a more social sense?

·
Registered
ESFP Type 9w8
1,477 Posts
Nancy vs troll? Just kidding. ENFPs can be intellectually retarded when they get lost in their feelings and ENTPs can be emotionally retarded when they get lost in their thoughts. However when an ENFP learns to control his/her feelings, the tell disappears. I imagine it's the same with ENTPs and their thoughts. I imagine, the more mature someone is, the harder they become to type.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
ENTPs I would say are more susceptible to ignoring theirs and others emotions into it comes to a point of stress and it comes out with the form of anger or sudden rules and expectations that they push onto others or they reach a point of maturity.

Again, I don't see ENFPs masking emotions with Te.

I think that ENFPs are incredibly forthcoming with how they feel unless or until they reach a point of stress or trauma. ENFPs whose emotional vulnerability has gotten them into trouble before a few too many times will withdraw.

Myself, I'm forthcoming with how I feel unless it's about the negative, I won't deny that I have these feelings unless it's to someone who is a stranger or acquaintance. I would not broadcast my feelings then. This has nothing to do with Te but a combination of reasons from Fi.

1. Fi does not automatically outwardly express these things, the conversation is all internal. That's not the case of masking but instead it's the default. It's up to Ne on if it is shared or not and Te on how to put these things into words at times.

2. Fi has its own unique rules, mine have recently adapted to "not everyone should be subjected to my negativity". That's not Te motivated, it's to do with my empathy.

The only way in which Te masks Fi is if I'm in escapism territory. Remember that Fi is introverted, the function is all about introspection so by suppressing it an ENFP is no longer listening to themselves and getting distracted by the outside world. Ne-Te loops are all about possibility and action. Te is the way in which we practically apply our crazy dreams. This could be something like "Oh, this seems like fun, what do I have to do to make that happen? Let's research and book tickets."

ENTPs get absorbed in the world with others, it's probably more socially motivated because Fe feeds off of others and so am ENTP in denial will be ignoring all sense. I found that my ENTP ex was obsessed with getting lost with people whilst I was obsessed with getting lost in things. His stress was to do with surrounding himself with people, like an ENFP he was encouraged to find something "new" but this was often involved with exploring strangers, meeting new people. Mine was about exploring cities and activities, people could be involved if they had to be, that was of no consequence to me.

For the ENTP there was never any interest on emotional vulnerability. Fe was never about listening to others issues, that was never of interest and was accrual an uncomfortable process for him. Fe to me in dom/aux positions very much does care about the person in that way to promote harmony. ENTPs are not about harmony when they utilise Fe, it's surface level. Just like how ENFPs still don't care about the rules so much when utilising Te, it's still a very haphazard approach.

Without the introverted functions, both types are only interested in skimming the surface of everything, getting bored of something and going to the next one before depth has a chance to be explored. It's more severe than the usual Ne-tendency to drop projects as it's a self-sabotaging experience. ENTP will neglect significant friends in favour of someone new in times of stress. ENFP will neglect how any of their actions are affecting themselves and identity. On the surface these attitudes can be mistaken but not if you understand motivations.

I'm only exploring extraverted loops for these types because of this assumption that you are dealing with an ENFP who is suppressing Fi because like I said, we don't mask it but suppress it.

I cannot remember any of the ENFP v ENTP material that I have read over the years.

Reactions: sereneone

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
An ENFP might use Te to "mask their feelings", but that's not encompassing of how ENFPs use Te, it's just one potential usage. I think you've got the wrong end of the stick slightly. ENFPs see Te as an enabling tool.

I actually have a theory on this that I believe is pretty solid in most cases, that most types view their tertiary function in this way. They see it as a facilitating tool.

ENTPs I actually think regard Fe in a similar way to INTJs regard Fi, in that they tend to regard it as something which can balance them out. The difference being that ENTPs are already highly subjective and self-focused through their secondary, and therefore they need an objective tertiary, which is the vice versa of INTJs.

I hope that is relateable, I always try to phrase my posts in a way that is digestible from other people's perspective.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
When looking at a particular type I’m usually interested in coming up with a range of healthy examples. The range usually has to do with how much aux and tertiary function they like to show.
For female ENFPs I would put Anne Frank at one side of the range and Rachel Maddow on the other side and I easily relate to both as fellow ENFPs, I would hang with both. I haven’t seen any ENFP who loves to use their Te together with Ne more than Rachel. With showing Fi, you get more from our motivation and interests and writings, and Anne Frank never got the chance to develop her Te (which makes me feel a pange of sadness to say), so you see the hopeful lovingness in her ideas about the world. That’s my “thinking girl’s” ENFP range: Anne Frank to Rachel Maddow.
Common ENFP kind of stuff is Sandra Bullock, Gwen Steffani (I think a lot of us think we are like Gwen), Meg Ryan. These are famous ones.

Male range= hmm... Jimmy Fallon (my typing on Jimmy, but what else would he be?) to Brian Cox. Mid-ground Seth Myers, getting to Umberto Eco, Oscar Wilde, Charles Dickens, Orson Wells, Mark Twain for writers.

I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Nancy vs troll? Just kidding. ENFPs can be intellectually retarded when they get lost in their feelings and ENTPs can be emotionally retarded when they get lost in their thoughts. However when an ENFP learns to control his/her feelings, the tell disappears. I imagine it's the same with ENTPs and their thoughts. I imagine, the more mature someone is, the harder they become to type.
I just want to say that that's really accurate. Also, i'd like to add that this usually happens because the third function is less mature and has less potential than the aux and the dominant, but a lot of people like to focus on their third function because it has the same Introversion/extraversion as their dominant. This leads to underdevelopment and lack of attention on the auxiliary, which might try to "help" you balance out your personality in certain moments by making you go through that process and really think about what is correct to you (Ti), what is good/moral to you (Fi), etc. For example, an ENFP might make a quick decision to get everything done efficiently (tert Te), but realize after the decision that it wasn't what they truly wanted to do that would make them happy (underused aux Fi).

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
I just want to say that that's really accurate. Also, i'd like to add that this usually happens because the third function is less mature and has less potential than the aux and the dominant, but a lot of people like to focus on their third function because it has the same Introversion/extraversion as their dominant. This leads to underdevelopment and lack of attention on the auxiliary, which might try to "help" you balance out your personality in certain moments by making you go through that process and really think about what is correct to you (Ti), what is good/moral to you (Fi), etc. For example, an ENFP might make a quick decision to get everything done efficiently (tert Te), but realize after the decision that it wasn't what they truly wanted to do that would make them happy (underused aux Fi).
Good examples! I DO think it’s unhealthy when aux is underutilized. Link at INFJ/P who wall themselves off...nothing scarier/sadder. And yes, if I get off balance Ne-Te that’s lots of diving ahead without looking at the pool to see if there is water first.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sx
3,999 Posts
ENTPs I would say are more susceptible to ignoring theirs and others emotions into it comes to a point of stress and it comes out with the form of anger or sudden rules and expectations that they push onto others or they reach a point of maturity.
Ne-sentence

·
Registered
6,850 Posts
TiFe users can run in circles and get lost in their logic, or at least that's how it looks to a Te user. ENFPs often just want an answer, or to get it done, not to ruminate on it with precision -- that's in the realm of ENTPs.

·
Registered
15,791 Posts
I want to see how ENTPs and ENFPs handle the same kinds of situations and discuss sensitive subjects. ENTP and ENFP share the Dominant characteristic of Ne, but they differ in the Auxiliary and Tertiary functions. ENFP is Ne+Fi+Te and ENTP is Ne+Ti+Fe. Are there some good Youtube videos maybe showing an ENTP and ENFP together dealing with the same question or topic?

I am having problems with this because apparently some ENFPs will use their Te to mask their feelings to others. What I as an INTJ hear is the Te and what I fail to understand is the masked Fi. I want some hands-on experience learning to distinguish these two types.
Enfp do not use Te to mask feelings- te always aid fi - if ones hide their feelings then perhaps they're not an fi user .
For enfp - te and fi works hand in hand together- Te provide facts and feedbacks for fi values.

Entp with higher fe are extremely socially aware - Ne-Fe can often time connect and comfort any individual or group .

I can't distinguish the 2 sometimes - especially entp 9.

You want to know the main differ- debate with them ( enfp will pull in facts /statistics) entp uses logic derives from within
Entp have no problem talking about how they feel with close friends- however their thoughts is rarely shared
Enfp is the opposite - they will ramble on and on about what they have learn, ask questions provide statistics- but when it comes to personal feelings or what's bothering them not much comes out.

Now if you are trying to distinguish the differ from afar or through first impression. Good luck ! Highly doubt anyone would type me as enfp through observations of me unless they have formed a close relationship with me -

Oh! I know one - if you were to open up to an entp they will provide you information and tell you what to do- ask if you're ok and then tell you how to feel

With enfp they will start talking about their own experiences with a similar problem

Reason for this is- ti-fe tends to not ask questions or share feeling unless it bothers them hence they try solving your problem for you

Fi-te assumes everyone understand their emotion best and don't really share emotions until matter is resolved- hence they find a connection that's similar to theirs and share it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
562 Posts
I'm not sure Fi-Te/Ti-Fe have to do with showing thoughts & emotions or not. I mean, Fi =/= hidden strong feelings, and Ti =/= hidden deep thoughts. Both ENxPs are very expressive.
The ENTPs I know always make sure everybody knows what's inside their mind, you can't find a more open window on someone's brain. They're emotive too and it's easy to make them angry.
I have no problems openly talking about my feelings to anybody, as well as voicing my political views and all sorts of ideas. Blankly stating my feelings actually helps me distancing them and keeping a straight face (to me, stating I'm sad is far more comfortable than crying in front of someone). It puts them on the same level as trivial, unimportant stuff. So, in a way, @sereneone, it seems like what you said about Te being helpful to hide feelings, except it doesn't really hide them but acts on them, diminishes or changes them.
Anyway, what you mentioned on another thread (the girl saying something like "I'm not afraid of your desire to know me better") seems totally ENFPish to me, with this contrast between the neutral tone and the heavier content, which is usually unsaid or not this way. In this case, it could both be a means for her to keep a certain emotional distance (because we ENFPs often have to prevent ourselves from getting too excited too quickly), and simply a playful way to unsettle you, which apparently worked ! Note the use of the word desire and not "wish" or "intention". She's flirting.

On the whole I'd rather differentiate Fi-Te/Ti-Fe based on what's at the core of one's morals or worldview. I think ENFPs are likely to stick to the golden rule : "do unto others as you would have them do unto you". Fi often leads to projection and identifying, thus putting the individual at the center of the world. I said "the individual" and not "the self" precisely to dismiss the wide misconception about strong Fi users being selfish. They're often found among social justice activists, advocating for minorities and the underdogs (ENFPs are the "advocates" !). Fi focuses on singularity, sees the whole humanity in each person, and when xNFPs talk about themselves it doesn't mean they want feedback about themselves, but on the contrary, that their experience is relatable, and people should feel free to share theirs if they want to.

To sum up, I'd say ENFPs are rather inclined to have subjective, individualistic morals (Fi) that they put in practice in their everyday life and advocate with facts that back it up (Te), while ENTPs would objectively gather data and synthesize it into what feels like a universal truth (Ti) then develop their morals around it, bring their ideas to the table with charisma and sometimes (ok, most of the time) bad faith, convinced that they accomplish an act of service by forcing people to develop their own thoughts (Fe). NTPs are often assimilated to Prometheus and Socrates because of this mission of enlighting people. I believe ENTPs are really more objective than ENFPs (see, that's a totally subjective statement, a belief that I can't prove nor explain better for now lol).

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 Sp/So. 693 tritype.
581 Posts
It is tough job to distinguish Enxps.

Their world views are difference. Core values of Enfp is Fi and expressed out by Te in everyday life, back Fi up with facts and truths. While Entp core value is Ti, subjective truth that expressed through charisma and build morals around them.

This is from my own experience, Enfp looks more forceful with their values while Entp looks more forceful in their logic. When argue, Entp usually argue without pure logic and back up with emotions. Enfp argue with values and back up with facts.

Another thing I've seen, Entp Ti and Fe are separate element while Enfp: Fi and Te are basically the same things.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The Personality Junkie ENFP profile had an interesting point regarding this thread:

"One of the more important features of Fi is its direction. Namely, because it is introverted, outsiders may not have easy access to ENFPs’ emotions, with the exception of their general spiritedness and enthusiasm. Like ESFPs, ENFPs express their Feeling judgments somewhat indirectly through their Te. This may at times lead others to view ENFPs as Thinking types, while seeing ENTPs, who extravert their judgments by way of Extraverted Feeling, as Feeling types."

I think others here might argue against ENFPs expressing Feeling judgments through Te. Maybe others could give nuance to that. But I think the passage makes sense even if the point is reduced to the idea that Feelings can be hidden, which means you end up seeing the extroverted Thinking and mistaking that for a more dominant function.

I had typed an ENFP recently originally as probably being an ENTP based on something like the above. The feelings were being hidden from view and all that was coming through was the thinking, which in her case is very well developed.

·
Registered
ENFP-A - 2w3 - JEEP
5,934 Posts
The Personality Junkie ENFP profile had an interesting point regarding this thread:

"One of the more important features of Fi is its direction. Namely, because it is introverted, outsiders may not have easy access to ENFPs’ emotions, with the exception of their general spiritedness and enthusiasm. Like ESFPs, ENFPs express their Feeling judgments somewhat indirectly through their Te. This may at times lead others to view ENFPs as Thinking types, while seeing ENTPs, who extravert their judgments by way of Extraverted Feeling, as Feeling types."

I think others here might argue against ENFPs expressing Feeling judgments through Te. Maybe others could give nuance to that. But I think the passage makes sense even if the point is reduced to the idea that Feelings can be hidden, which means you end up seeing the extroverted Thinking and mistaking that for a more dominant function.

I had typed an ENFP recently originally as probably being an ENTP based on something like the above. The feelings were being hidden from view and all that was coming through was the thinking, which in her case is very well developed.
Think of us as bubbly INTPs, at least that's what someone once told me. I can be quite the mad scientist and love discussing science in general. If you took Gill Grissom but made him bubbly and nice with a weird fashion statement that might be me. Actually I'm probably closer to Spencer Reid. Anyways I remember everything I read and can make very weird statements with no feelings attached to strangers about oddities. We're not really that emotional when compared to other feeling types. At least from what I've noticed. Though private life I'm different than what the public views. I may cry at a couple of puppy videos at my house but never in open lol.

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
Yes. Fi is introverted. We more easily show our positive feelings or enthusiasm/exuberance. Our negative emotions will only be shown to a very select few, or with others as a glimpse before we tell a joke, but @sereneone you’ll have to know that Fi can also be very intelligent. Spend some time with INFPs, It is a decision making process that creates values. You will hear good logic from it that includes feelings. For instance, avoiding saying a certain thing due to making sure not to hurt someone— which is something INTJs choose to do sometimes too and increasingly so as they age. Fi and Fe are emotionally intelligent. Ne is also intelligent. T does not equal intelligent.

Reactions: NIHM and sereneone

·
Registered
8,691 Posts
@sereneone. I mean T does not equal more intelligent than F.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts