Personality Cafe banner

INFPs, where can you be found?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi fellow INFPs. I have created a poll with common activities and places you may find an INFP. Please check as many you feel apply to you. Check "other" if one is not included, and then please include what you consider "other" to be. If you are not an INFP, please choose the "I am not an INFP, but I just want to vote" option.

Also, you may note that I excluded some very common activities, such as school, work, the movies, dance clubs, the mall, etc. I did so because I am looking for specific places.
However, feel free to include these in your post, especially the specifics pertaining to them (ie. what kind of classes at school?).

Thanks!

--------------

Below is a big list I made from "data" I collected at the now defunct INFP globalchatter. It's only from about 45 people though. There's definitely patterns of books, art, music, causes, and quiet places to reflect. Many of these are included in the choices above, but some are not. They might jog your brain a bit, and give you an idea of what info I am after and what I'm seeking it for.

14 Library
11 Bookstores
10 Coffee Shops/Cafes
9 Walking Alone (observing things like flowers & buildings, when its raining)
8 Parks (alone on bench, with a book, people watching, cloudy days when no one is out)
8 Concerts/Gigs (esp alone)
8 Home (alone with blinds down, hiding in room alone playing music, alone reading, etc)
7 School/Class (esp. art, philosophy, psychology, religion, language, literature)
6 Discussion Groups or Seminars (ie. books, philosophy, politics)
6 Parties (people watching, being reserved, enjoying music, or dancing)
5 Places For People Watching
5 Museums (esp alone, and esp art)
4 Volunteering
4 Grocery Store/Market
4 Record Store
4 Art Exhibitions
4 Spiritual Groups/Centers/ Church
3 Playing Sports / Physical Activity (esp rock climbing)
3 Nature / Outdoors (vague)
3 College Marching Band / Orchestra / Choir
3 Work
3 Activist Groups (ie. environmentalism)
3 Yoga Class
3 Swimming (esp. somewhere “not crowded)
3 Restaurants (esp locally owned, not trendy chain)
3 Health & Organic Food Stores
3 Movies
3 Gym
3 Where Other People Are Not Around (vague)
2 Small Dive Bars/Clubs/Pubs (esp. with music)
2 Renaissance Fair / Sca Tavern
2 Playing Music (especially guitar, in a quiet place alone - vague)
2 Gardens
2 Downtown / City Areas
2 Danceclub / Bar with Friend
2 Anime Conventions/Clubs
2 Walking Dog
2 The Beach
2 Indie Films
2 Farmer’s Markets
2 Dance Lessons (esp swing dancing)
1 mention of each: Vocal / Singing Lessons, Traveling, Poetry Readings, Plays / Musicals, Playing With Their Band, Nanowrimo Write-Ins, Meditating, Lake, Jogging, Hiking , Furniture Stores/ Design Exhibitions, Friend’s House, Festivals, and Camping.

·
Banned
2,078 Posts
YES 14 Library
YES 11 Bookstores
YES 10 Coffee Shops/Cafes
YES 9 Walking Alone (observing things like flowers & buildings, when its raining)
YES 8 Parks (alone on bench, with a book, people watching, cloudy days when no one is out)
YES,RARELY 8 Concerts/Gigs (esp alone)
YES 8 Home (alone with blinds down, hiding in room alone playing music, alone reading, etc)
YES 7 School/Class (esp. art, philosophy, psychology, religion, language, literature)
NO 6 Discussion Groups or Seminars (ie. books, philosophy, politics)
YES 6 Parties (people watching, being reserved, enjoying music, or dancing)
YES 5 Places For People Watching
YES 5 Museums (esp alone, and esp art)
YES 4 Volunteering
YES 4 Grocery Store/Market
YES 4 Record Store
YES 4 Art Exhibitions
NO 4 Spiritual Groups/Centers/ Church
YES 3 Playing Sports / Physical Activity (esp rock climbing)
YES 3 Nature / Outdoors (vague)
NO 3 College Marching Band / Orchestra / Choir
YES 3 Work
NO 3 Activist Groups (ie. environmentalism)
NO,yoga in the home 3 Yoga Class
NO 3 Swimming (esp. somewhere “not crowded)
YES 3 Restaurants (esp locally owned, not trendy chain)
YES 3 Health & Organic Food Stores
YES 3 Movies
YES 3 Gym
YES 3 Where Other People Are Not Around (vague)
NO 2 Small Dive Bars/Clubs/Pubs (esp. with music)
YES,RARELY 2 Renaissance Fair / Sca Tavern
YES 2 Playing Music (especially guitar, in a quiet place alone - vague)
YES 2 Gardens
YES,RARELY 2 Downtown / City Areas
YES 2 Danceclub / Bar with Friend
NO 2 Anime Conventions/Clubs
NO 2 Walking Dog
YES 2 The Beach
YES 2 Indie Films
YES 2 Farmer’s Markets
YES 2 Dance Lessons (esp swing dancing)
1 mention of each: Vocal / Singing Lessons, Traveling, Poetry Readings, Plays / Musicals, Playing With Their Band, Nanowrimo Write-Ins, Meditating, Lake, Jogging, Hiking , Furniture Stores/ Design Exhibitions, Friend’s House, Festivals, and Camping.

Traveling, plays/musicals, meditating, lake, hiking.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^ Thanks, poll is up now!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^ hahaha...sorry, I was just slow with writing the poll. But I'm gathering info from the posts too, so that's useful, not a waste :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Parks / Gardens / Nature
Concerts / Gigs / Music festivals
Walking / sitting alone, people-watching or observing in nature
Record / Music stores
The Beach / Lake / River

Picked where I'd prefer and enjoy to be at the most. :)

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Library / Bookstores
Coffee Shops / Cafes
Walking / sitting alone, people-watching or observing in nature
Volunteering / Acivist Group
Local fairs / festivals / conventions
The Beach / Lake / River
Other

I would have voted for Farmer's Market / Health/Goumert Food Stores; however, since I do not live on my own yet, I shop where my parents take me. :tongue: Still... I'd be at those types of food stores more if I could.

As for my "other," that would be video game stores. Maybe that's a little more specific than you were looking for, but I'm there often enough to warrant me to add it. Another "other" could be a martial arts class that I'm starting in a couple weeks (or does that fall under "physical activities?").

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As for my "other," that would be video game stores. Maybe that's a little more specific than you were looking for, but I'm there often enough to warrant me to add it. Another "other" could be a martial arts class that I'm starting in a couple weeks (or does that fall under "physical activities?").
Nope, it's good, thanks.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, keep it coming!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
oops I voted and forgot to check " Walking / sitting alone, people-watching or observing in nature" so you can add one more to that one. :)

·
Banned
3,980 Posts
Gardens
Movies
Parks (alone on bench, with a book, people watching, cloudy days when no one is out)
- Never really done that before, I wish to someday tho.
Where Other People Are Not Around (vague) - Definitely this one!
Library - The only chance you will get to meet me.
Home (alone with blinds down, hiding in room alone playing music, alone reading, etc) - ....and definitely this one!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I want to hear MORE!

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
i love sitting in a church and listening to chants/hymns. to me, there is a serenity that comes with spirituality. i also love nature and being by myself, reflecting, pondering my life. one of all time favorite activities is watching people. i am proud to say i've people watched in many different countries and all of them have a unique sense of style. i know this sounds so stupid, but one of my favorite locations to people watch is McDonalds. In all those different countries, you know you are coming into contact with the underbelly of society, the normal, average folk. It's like when I'm there, I am one of them, even though I am a stranger. sorry if this sounds pretentious, i really don't mean to be, i just like people. :)

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Good poll, but some of the results make me mad. Besides a few popular places (health food stores), I hang out at the gym and occasionally go to discussion groups. I'm not surprised I'm an exception, but I shouldn't be. Many, if not most, INFPs should be going there. 1) Staying in shape is common sense - and it indirectly helps make social connections (I don't mean flirting at the gym). Walks, climbing, etc. can be adequate substitutes, but I'd bet that many of the respondents aren't doing any exercise. 2) If you complain about not meeting people, you have to go to focused situations in which people interact, of which a discussion group (on an INFP-friendly topic like philosophy) is one of the few options available. Really, unless you live in the middle of nowhere, why aren't you doing that?

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
If I could live at Barnes & Noble, I would.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Well, in that list I voted for all of it except 3 things xD I do all of those activities, but the difference is I do some of them everyday, some of them a few times a month, and some of them a few times a year, so...

My top 3 activities are:
1. Walking alone with my headphones on, daydreaming as I walk. I walk aimlessly, sometimes crossing the city, sometimes in the forest. I'm out so often that my entire neighborhood already knows "oh the forest chic is out". So if someone talked to me "hey I see you out often..." I wouldn't be surprised and I would stop to chat with them.
2. I go to the library 3-4 evenings a week. I can't concentrate at home reading my novels, and I enjoy the social aspect of sitting in silence in a room full of people, without actually having to speak, so I use the library for my dose of quiet socializing and also to cultivate my mind. 2 birds with 1 stone.
3. Out and about on friday & saturday evenings and nights. Sometimes with my mother, sometimes with an acquaintance, sometimes with my sister, and sometimes by myself. I enjoy going to the city center that is action-packed, and I like just walking around aimlessly talking about life, window shopping, checking out random stores, and sitting in cafés with nice lighting and nice pastries discussing life over coffee.

Bonus activities on a weekly or monthly basis:
4. Museums and art exhibitions.
5. Meetup.com groups -currently I'm attending enneagram groups, and looking into joining a bookclub.
6. Sitting by myself at a coffee shop reading a book and scribbling in a journal all my crazy ideas.

Bonus idea: Instagram. I receive DMs sometimes from random people (all genders) who follow me on iG. If their feed looks legit, like they are a nice person (no weird pics of their manly parts, or photos of their biceps in a gym mirror) then I'll chat with them.

·
Registered
Type 8w9
1,501 Posts
I am most definitely in the library, sitting in the lobby area pretending to study but really just people-watching and recharging. I can be found in any given space just because I wander where my thoughts happen to take me, but I'm always looking around and observing life in motion.

Thinking about it now I probably seem standoffish because nine times out of ten I have my earphones in when I'm out and about, but that's because I just REALLY need to hear this song right now, and I wouldn't mind a little conversation! (I actually have my earphones off when I am NOT interested in speaking...isn't that odd).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts