Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only finished reading two books, other than the Harry Potter series, in my entire life(that I remember). I really want to get into reading & all that, but everythime I got to the library I spend hours trying to find books that are engaging, provoking, mind-bending, though provoking, or whatever. My searches usually leads me the psychology & philosophy section generally, but I get bored with all their cliche blabber & semi-interesting theories. I can never manage to locate an mind apatizing FICTION books, it's always non-fictions & I never bother to finish them in any case. It really gets me, so I've finally admitted defeat & come to seek advice :O

The books I've read were as follows..

Paradise Lost by John Milton, which contents extend beyond admiration & positive appraisal.

Some children's book about some mystical cat who gets lost in some city. Which also was extremely enjoyable. The name of which I cannot recall.

The Lords & New Creatures. A collection of Jim Morrison's poems. I've read that one a few times over, it is by far my favorite of the bunch.

Anyways I'm looking for something that is somewhat unique in it's ideas/plot/story line/ characters/. I also dig nostalgic, philisophical, mind-twisters, weird, sci-fi, meta-physical, mystical, spiritual(I don't mean religious), dramatic/exaggerated realities, alternative veiwpoints, & contravertial media. For the life of me I cannot stand books like "The Pride & Prejudice" or those sorts, not big on mysteries either, romance isn't really my thing, nor is action, superhero, gore, spy books, or those ambitious cheesy sci-fi/fantasy books that aspire to be the next big blockbuster type deals.

I like films like..
Lost in Translation
2001: A Space Odyssey
Star Wars V
Eraserhead
American Beauty
Donnie Darko
The Fountain
Edward Scissorhands
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Pan's Labyrinth
Babel

If that helps at all, seriously I have no idea where to start..
Any pointers & suggestions would be really great! Thanks in advance! ;D

·
Registered
38 Posts
it sounds like we have similar interests, especially with movies. here are some books that i really enjoyed:

'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes
'Alchemy of the Mind' by Diane Ackerman
'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
'The Beautiful Miscellaneous' by Dominic Smith
'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding
'Choke' and 'Lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk
'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel García Márquez
'1984' and 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell
'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy

·
Registered
355 Posts
@aibohphobia EWWWW THATS ALL HIGH SCHOOL STUFF X_X jk i loved animal farm.

Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern By Joshua Zeitz
This is a non-fiction book on the flapper culture of the 1920s, super interesting and may change your mind on romance, specifically F Scott Fitzgerald.

Notes From Underground by Dostoyevsky <--short novel that is nostalgic, philosophical, weird, a little metaphysical, spiritual depending on how you view it, dramatic/exaggerated realities, very much about alternative viewpoints, and very very psychological. I also could be over-hyping it but Dostoyevsky was wayy ahead of his time.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it sounds like we have similar interests, especially with movies. here are some books that i really enjoyed:
'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes
'Alchemy of the Mind' by Diane Ackerman
'Brave New World' by Aldous Huxley
'The Beautiful Miscellaneous' by Dominic Smith
'Lord of the Flies' by William Golding
'Choke' and 'Lullaby' by Chuck Palahniuk
'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel García Márquez
'1984' and 'Animal Farm' by George Orwell
'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy
Brave New World, Choke, Lullaby, One Hundred Years of Solitude & Alchemy of the Mind all sound interesting. Which of them would you reccomend above the rest & why? Which one did you find the hardest to put down?

Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern By Joshua Zeitz.
This is a non-fiction book on the flapper culture of the 1920s, super interesting and may change your mind on romance, specifically F Scott Fitzgerald.
Notes From Underground by Dostoyevsky <--short novel that is nostalgic, philosophical, weird, a little metaphysical, spiritual depending on how you view it,
dramatic/exaggerated realities, very much about alternative viewpoints, and very very psychological. I also could be over-hyping it but Dostoyevsky was wayy ahead of his time.
Notes from the Underground sounds very intrigueing, I'm definately going to give that one a go. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
connecting with you naming " 2001: A Space Odyssey" Your preference four fiction and your pull towards psychology and philosophy.
Consider reading Solaris by Stanisław Lem.: A 1962 Polish novel about the inadequacy of human communication between themselves and the non-human ( In the extraterrestrial and the terrestrial sense.) It also has been made into a feature film twice I believe.

·
Registered
796 Posts
This probably seems like a pretty basic suggestion, but if you like Star Wars, there are tons of Star Wars books encompassing things far beyond the movies. You can't go wrong with the classics either, despite the media publication of its film counterpart, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is far, far better (in my opinion) than the movies.

If you're into mind-twisters and controversy, you can't go wrong with Chuck Palahniuk's "Fight Club" either. The book is so well written that it was impossible for me to tear myself away from it.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I know nothin about sci-fi books. :/

IMO no one can go wrong by readin anything by Haruki Murakami.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Native Son by Richard Wright
The Grapes of Wrath-John Steinbeck
A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catcher in the Rye-J.D Salinger
Things Fall Apart-Chinua Achebe
Song of Solomon-Toni Morrison (I'm still reading it but I think I can recommend it)
Camouflage by Joe Haldeman
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Roots by Alex Haley
Kindred by Octavia Butler
etc.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I would suggest The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson, starting out with Mistborn: The Final Empire. They're definitely in the sci-fi genre, and they're pretty much about a group of people who plot to overthrow an evil ruler and make a better world, using both philosophy and these powers that they have.

Another series is The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss. I liked the first book, The Name of the Wind, a lot better than the second, but overall it is a well written story about an intelligent boy with much tragedy in his life who grows to become more intellectual, powerful, and well known as he gets older, for both good and bad reasons. It can be dry at times, though, so I'm not sure if it is something you would enjoy.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The Manual of Detection by Jedediah Berry might interest you. :) It's currently my favorite.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
If you liked American Beauty, I'd definitely suggest anything by Kurt Vonnegut. His books are addictive and hilarious, while also having incredible insight into life that you might not notice at first as you're having so much fun reading. Slaughterhouse-Five is the easiest place to start, although Cat's Cradle and Sirens of Titan are my favorites.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac just might be worth picking up. Kerouac is known for wild, rhythmic stories and this one involves Zen Buddhism, but it isn't what you would call religious material, not in any dogmatic sense at least. Essentially, it's Jack's thinly-veiled autobiography...one that depicts a ragtag bunch whose naivety is only matched by aims for catharsis. If you're not so sure about this book, try On the Road.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
If you liked 2001 Space Odyssey the movie I recommend reading the book (It's one of my favourites). I would also recommend Dune by Frank Herbert.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Consider reading Solaris by Stanisław Lem.: A 1962 Polish novel about the inadequacy of human communication between themselves and the non-human ( In the extraterrestrial and the terrestrial sense.) It also has been made into a feature film twice I believe.
Yes! Though Lem can be a bit slow-going. I wouldn't make it the first thing I'd leap to after Harry Potter. (Maybe the fifth or sixth.)

I'd look into Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino. Whimsical, wildly imaginative, and would likely appeal to a fellow ENFP. Light but intelligent -- airplane reading for a comp lit professor, maybe.

If you want something more slow-going than Lem (but it's probably the most philosophical, mind-twisty, weird, scifi, metaphysical, mystical thing I've ever read), I'd look no further than Riddley Walker.

I imagine you could probably get into Philip K. Dick, H. G. Wells, Haruki Murakami, and Argentine authors like Borges, Cortázar, and Bolaño (going by reputation; I've never read any Bolaño). Dante's Inferno too.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I love the Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series, and have been reading them exclusively for over 10 years. I get bored reading pretty much anything; but these books keep me interested. They are about a forensic pathologist/coroner and her endeavors.

Love em :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts