Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This question is primarily for the ESFJs on here (all 4 of them! ;) ),
but if you are very versed in ESFJs and you have some input, have at it!

Where do we find ESFJs in real life?

What kind of careers are you drawn to?
What kind of schooling do/did/will you pursue?
Where do you spend your free time?
What kind of social gatherings do you think would attract the most ESFJs?

And where would someone likely not find you?

The more responses, the better!

·
Registered
142 Posts
My best friend is an ESFJ, and while I can't speak for all of them I can tell you what she likes.

What kind of careers are they drawn to?
She is a baker, and is also interested in restaurant management.

What kind of schooling do/did/will they pursue?
She is in school for Hospitality and Tourism Management.

Where do they spend their free time?
She likes the mall, and various department stores.
Also, she frequents cafes and spends a fair amount of time in parks.
Likes concerts, and record stores and other music related places. Occasionally, she sings in local venues.
Usually, if she is out, there is someone with her.

I'm not sure. She likes to go to/have parties and small bonfires, and will just generally jump at the chance to spend time with people she likes.

And where would someone likely not find them?
Hm. That's somewhat more difficult to answer. She likes to go just about anywhere, from the mall with her E friends to the library or the museum with me.
I'd say any place that seems "shady." If there are people around who seem suspect, she will usually want to leave.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Let me respond second on a first-hand perspective, personally speaking...
I can't speak for ALL ESFJs but I am drawn to management, right now...because that's what I'm doing. I was an athletic trainer and a teacher. Yes, there pitfalls with this type and management but if you care for your peeps, then you would want the best for them. But honestly, I don't want to work for a living. That's just me. I think an ESFJ can be great personal trainers, too.
What kind of schooling did I pursue?
I pursued the Health Sciences field. I was an athletic trainer (sports medicine) but the hours sucked. I was also interested in History, Music and Art. I went back to school for Art classes. I've had a knack for it since I was a mere lad; it just was not profitable (per dad). Now, I paint and create for fun.
Where do the spend their free time?
In between the working, grocery shopping, cooking, sleeping, working out, and having people at my house, there isn't much free time. If I have free time, I just hang out at the house and catch up on my shows I've missed during the week. Or I'll go for a bike ride or get people together to watch a movie or something.
What kind of social gatherings attract ESFJs?
For some reason, the first thing that popped in my head was a costume/theme party. Ha! But I go to my gym (not to socialize) but I workout with people I have met there. Summertime is also a good time to bar-be-cue and do cookouts and play beach volleyball. I love how competitive it gets...all in good fun though. Any place that involves food and people is a likely place to gather an ESFJ - like a wedding reception. When on the DL, I like to chill at coffee shops and read sometimes, too.
And where would someone likely not find me?
Ummm...in a van down by the river? Oh! As some have noticed, we don't spend a lot of time in front of forums and places like this unless we're sitting in front of a computer at work, i.e. THIS guy.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for but each of us have different interests. I've learned to be an introvert and so I am okay doing things by myself. At work, I'm more of a Thinker than a Feeler.

By the way, I love this:
And the first post is from the exact opposite, INTP. Ha! This is merely an obvservation and not a judgement. Please don't get upset. I find it quite humorous.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where do the spend their free time?
In between the working, grocery shopping, cooking, sleeping, working out, and having people at my house, there isn't much free time. If I have free time, I just hang out at the house and catch up on my shows I've missed during the week. Or I'll go for a bike ride or get people together to watch a movie or something.
It's so funny to see the differences in responses between INFJs and ESFJs to this question. Both answer it in a manner that makes the question seem obvious, like "Well, of course, I run errands, and hang out with people, and have people over...you know, normal stuff!"
But in comparison to the INFJ responses, that is so not normal!! The number one response for the INFJs to this question is "alone, in my room, online." :) So funny to see those obvious differences in such a seemingly insignificant way. :)

And the first post is from the exact opposite, INTP. Ha! This is merely an obvservation and not a judgement. Please don't get upset. I find it quite humorous.
I thought that was very funny too! :) I figured that would be what would happen. There just aren't a whole lot of ESFJs on here, so I figured it wouldn't have a lot of ESFJ personal responses.

Ironically, the two ESFJs I know in real life would answer these questions very much the same as both of the previous answers.
They both love having people over at their houses, are very interested in food (baking/cooking/managing restaurants/etc), and are pretty much never online. Interesting!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Speaking for my adorable ESFJ (ex :() gf...

Magazine production (both print online) in a fashion context.

What kind of schooling do/did/will they pursue?
Photography and graphic design.

Where do they spend their free time?
Shopping, with a s/o and/or friends in a bar, at home with family.

She was very family-oriented... so anything to do with them. Other than that, birthdays / celebrations with close friends.

And where would someone likely not find them?
A museum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure what I'm going to do with my life. Teaching at the moment interests me.

I'm at Uni doing a bridging type thing to get a Bachelor of Science of some field (haven't decided)

At home mostly on the computer, I'll go out if I get asked by friends.

I like anything to do with a game. Futsal, video games, card games etc

Clubbing

·
Registered
35 Posts

Careers where I get to interact with people on a daily basis. I work in a lab, its not the best way to meet new people, but we have close knit relationships though.
Because im ESFJ, i want to be around people alot. I finished my B.S in Biotechnology and loved the engagement and interaction I got from undergrad. I decided to go to grad school and Im getting my MPH in Public Health. I love it as well. 100% sure I'm going to go for a PhD just because I can learn new things and meet a ton of new faces.
With family and/or friends. If someone is going out I usually want to go along. In the past several months I have become less desiring of constant social engagement. I actually desire weekends where I only step out the house to get food. I do like to stay at home, watch movies, and enjoy the silence (sans drama). Only for a while though, then I have to get out and talk to people.
For me, intimate dinner parties, bbqs, and hanging out at a pub/diner. I still do crave the fun of clubs, and even music festivals I just love being in a crowd.

if your out, you will find us. We usually hang any where people gather, even if it is just starbucks, or a local pub. We might just introduce ourselves to you. We are just that friendly.

·
Auntie Duckie
2,720 Posts

Almost 100% of the time it involves working with the general public.

Military & University

Typically online in an MMO. Sitting outside or working on my home (a never ending project).

It depends on the personality of the ESFJ. I try not to stereotype.

Anywhere there is a lot of sunlight. Sunlight makes me really ill so I avoid it as much as possible.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Any that involve working with people, helping people, changing things to make things better - I want to go into human resource management within the hospitality industry.

Currently in my final year of Managing international hospitality, I have a HND in Hospitality business management, no A-Levels because I dropped out to work in a hotel. I want to do a masters in human resource management if money allows.

With my family at the moment because I am pregnant. When I am not I organise buses to various clubbing events up and down the country and at least once a year organise trips abroad to clubbing events for up to 12 people. I love the buzz of organising it more than the event sometimes haha.

I can only speak for myself, but I like to be excited. I like to let my hair down dance around like an idiot and really show off!

In a cinema or at home watching a film, bleurgh, boooooring.

·
Registered
9 Posts

I want a career where I can help and talk to people. Money and social status isn't important to me, just how many people I can influence! So, teaching or councelling but maybe even human resources or events management. Stuff like that :)
I think alot of ESFJ's would be drawn to nursing too

Talking to my friends (facebook chat or texting, I'm not a fan of talking on the phone because i can't use emicons to show emotion haha), watching youtube, thinking, going fun places :)

Urmmm probably for most ESfJ's -the more people the better! But I like dance parties with a medium sized group of people I know well

At the movies, I HATE going to the movies! I get soooo bored and just want to talk! I also don't understand why people organise to do something together to be social and then go to the movies, where you sit in the dark in silence! May as well have gone to the movies on your own! :p

·
Registered
656 Posts

My mom is an ESFJ, and I obviously know her very well, so I'm going to answer on her behalf to the best of my ability. ^.^

1. Anywhere and everywhere... I suppose the library would be a less likely place unless they want information on a specific subject. My mom likes any social gatherings. She likes to go to friends' houses. She runs errands like crazy though. She spends a lot of time shopping.

2. Before I was born and when I was young, my mom was doing bartending and serving jobs at restaurants. She absolutely loved it. She got to socialize, and she was skilled at all of the details of serving that I wouldn't know and knowing all of the little things she had to remember. She was a good worker; I could tell by the way she talked about it. She put passion into it. She ended up quitting that to work at my grandpa's jewelry store. She organized everything. She knew where everything was. The regular customers always asked for her; they loved her. (I worked there for awhile.) My grandpa (ENTJ) pretty much needed her, but he made her feel very unappreciated by saying hurtful things, and she needed to stay at home because my brothers were getting into a lot of trouble, so she quit that to be a stay-at-home mom. She loved cleaning and cooking and taking care of my brothers and me and her boyfriend. She told me she loved being a housewife (not those exact words). She only complained about it when she felt unappreciated. She started taking classes at a community college and hoped to become a respiratory therapist, but she started failing her online classes because I was in the hospital for months and she had to stay there with me every night in a different state. I remember the first time she failed an online test because I went into v-tach (similar to a heart attack, I suppose), so she had to miss her test. She had to quit her classes. She said temporarily. She never tried again, even though I urged her. She would have made an excellent respiratory therapist. I'm sad for her, 'cause her life isn't good right now. I think she feels directionless... but yeah, I think good jobs for ESFJ's would be jobs that involve serving/helping people, direct human contact, and jobs that let their organization skills flourish. I think especially stuff in the medical field working directly with patients would be good.

Although, now that I think about it, if my mom had gotten a job as a respiratory therapist, my brothers would have had no supervision (ESFP & ESTP), and they are incredibly... bad... with drugs and stuff. They're sixteen and seventeen, and they pretty much /need/ my mom to be hovering over them. I think that's mostly why she didn't go back to school. One of my brothers is in a detention home now, if that gives you an idea of how much they misbehave. My mom is at a loss. I don't think I could go to work if I were her either.

3. Like I said, my mom started college, but she had to quit because of me and never went back for it...

4. My mom absolutely loves cooking for people... so she loves hosting. She said she gets such satisfaction out of cooking for people who enjoy her food. I try to remember to thank her, because something that small can make her so happy (just like me). She likes other parties like that of course, but she prefers to host them. Holidays are awesome for her. She used to be a huge partier though; she hung out at bars a lot. I try not to think about that part of her. She still has a big drinking problem, but she only does at home or with friends anymore. She's getting help for it now. She also loves walking outside like in parks and stuff for exercise; she especially loves to bring someone with her. Did I mention she loves shopping? My god, does she love shopping...

5. Like I said, the first place I thought of was the library. My mom is intelligent, but she doesn't exactly seek out learning for the sake of it, except in stuff she's /really/ interested in like microbiology. She likes to read, but I don't see her hanging out in a quiet library, reading random books for the hell of it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
What kind of careers are you drawn to? Psychology, Counseling, Psychiatry, Medicine, Teaching, Culinary Art, any form of art, English, Literature, Writing, Reporter, Politics, etc.

What kind of schooling do/did/will you pursue? I have an Associates in Education and I am currently enrolled in receiving a Bachelors in Biology, although I am considering changing courses as I mainly went into that field for my mother.

Where do you spend your free time? With friends, reading a book, on the computer at a coffee shop, at the mall, writing, outdoors, cooking or baking, and just about anything that I "fancy" at that moment.

What kind of social gatherings do you think would attract the most ESFJs? Any that their best friends are at.

And where would someone likely not find you? Somewhere shady, anywhere where there is math involved unless it is closely related to something interesting, like Science [hate math], anywhere where people I greatly dislike show up [but there really were only a few growing up].

·
Registered
656 Posts
I guess I kind of answered "Where do you spend your free time?" and "What kind of social gatherings do you think would attract the most ESFJs?" at the same time on #4. Sorry

·
Registered
413 Posts

Well the universal answer to that is:

.....drumrollll......

everywhere.

I guess I'll tell you my personal stats on these questions:
Business always really interested me. But I want to do pretty much everything. Right now I am studying fashion design and art history in college, and dip my hands into any art form I can. Fashion Design is definitely my preferred career, but I want to run many businesses, teach, and maybe clone myself and do it all.

I used to spend a lot of time out with friends, but now I get overwhelmed by people and I spend all my free time in the studio alone, in my room on the internet, or -over the summer (right now)- in my room, with my computer, and in the presence of my INFJ sister who is doing the same thing on her computer.

Any social gathering would attract an esfj, even a gathering of INTJs who are working on scientific hypotheses.

I guess the INTP said it perfectly: I would not like going where I feel unsafe. But who would want to go there?
(And I really enjoy libraries and museums.)

Someone mentioned something about cooking for people....and I would have to say that I definitely like cooking for people. Love it actually (even more when people really enjoy the food)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts