Personality Cafe banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For instance, I think I am an INTP. I'm highly interested in literature, mathematics, art, people, physics and the world in general. I love reading and writing literature. I'm going to begin studying quantum mechanics once I go back into university because I dropped out during the more artistic part of my life in which I wrote a novel. I'm also very close to having the novel published, so that part of my life is kind of becoming secure so I want to get into quantum mechanics once I'm published. I don't like to stay in one place. I like to wander in all aspects of my life. I am very reserved and I do love social interaction but ONLY when it is with people who highly interest me or who I think could possibly interest me. Usually these people are crazy, interesting and outrageous and bring me out of my comfort zone. But once I'm out, I can get on pretty well in the situation.

I've also been hitchhiking across the US and went camping for two months, alone, by myself, completely content and able to take care of myself.

I love observing but hate to be observed because the very act of being observed by someone ruins the ability to observe a them. Sometimes one more than the other.

Every time I test, I turn out to be an INTP. But the description of an INTP is just so stereotypical of the "mad scientist" type that it seems only somewhat like me. I've also read about INFP and that also sounds highly ridiculous to place myself in. Not all INTP's are the stereotypical mad scientists, right? Or am I just typing myself wrong? Or are all of us INTP's these curious, reserved, wandering, creative, spontaneous types?

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
Noone fits entirely into a personality type, and so you'll find people who are one type but just not the most stereotypical example of that type.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
I think you sound a lot like me :V I think I'm a wanderer at heart and will never be content living in the same place for more than a few years. Traveling alone and camping wherever sounds very appealing to me. I want to explore everything... spending just as much on artwork, history and languages as I do more stereotypical subjects like math and science. And I'm also writing a novel! xD But I think I fit the INTP descriptions rather well, since I love my alone time and my mind constantly likes to explore things. Exploring the world is a type of intellectual pursuit because you get to observe the surrounding world and contemplate them as much as you want.

Reactions: fizzacks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you sound a lot like me :V I think I'm a wanderer at heart and will never be content living in the same place for more than a few years. Traveling alone and camping wherever sounds very appealing to me. I want to explore everything... spending just as much on artwork, history and languages as I do more stereotypical subjects like math and science. And I'm also writing a novel! xD But I think I fit the INTP descriptions rather well, since I love my alone time and my mind constantly likes to explore things. Exploring the world is a type of intellectual pursuit because you get to observe the surrounding world and contemplate them as much as you want.
So INTP's aren't just the stereotypical mad scientists. I can be but I don't like to stay there. You actually sound a lot like me. That's interesting, knowing there are people like me out there, haha. Thanks for the response. This helped.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never taken much interest in science, however, I've always been one for philosophy. I guess you could consider me some sort of "mad" philosopher, although that doesn't sound anywhere near as intimidating as a mad scientist. The most harm I could cause would be a headache (but what if I broadcasted my voice to all of the world with some sort of voice-amplifying device, and caused a epidemic global wide headaches!? MUHAHAHA). Anyways, I wouldn't doubt that many of the greatest philosophers, scientists, mathematicians, etc. as seen by the public, were indeed mad; "Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, And Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood," (Emerson, Self-Reliance). Now I'm not saying that all of these people were INTP's, but simply that there is nothing wrong with being considered "mad." And to be completely honest all I really wanted to say was that your post reminded me of Emerson's essay on self-reliance, but I felt like I had to answer your question in some way, which I probably didn't even do.

·
Banned
2,383 Posts
For instance, I think I am an INTP. I'm highly interested in literature, mathematics, art, people, physics and the world in general. I love reading and writing literature. I'm going to begin studying quantum mechanics once I go back into university because I dropped out during the more artistic part of my life in which I wrote a novel. I'm also very close to having the novel published, so that part of my life is kind of becoming secure so I want to get into quantum mechanics once I'm published. I don't like to stay in one place. I like to wander in all aspects of my life. I am very reserved and I do love social interaction but ONLY when it is with people who highly interest me or who I think could possibly interest me. Usually these people are crazy, interesting and outrageous and bring me out of my comfort zone. But once I'm out, I can get on pretty well in the situation.

I've also been hitchhiking across the US and went camping for two months, alone, by myself, completely content and able to take care of myself.

I love observing but hate to be observed because the very act of being observed by someone ruins the ability to observe a them. Sometimes one more than the other.

Every time I test, I turn out to be an INTP. But the description of an INTP is just so stereotypical of the "mad scientist" type that it seems only somewhat like me. I've also read about INFP and that also sounds highly ridiculous to place myself in. Not all INTP's are the stereotypical mad scientists, right? Or am I just typing myself wrong? Or are all of us INTP's these curious, reserved, wandering, creative, spontaneous types?
We sound so alike, besides the literature part. Instead of hitchhiking I just walk around.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I thought INTJs are the mad scientists?

This is a popular topic it seems, and as always my answer is that we don't fit in anywhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts