Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Topic.
Edit: @MissJordan @seiei I should have clarified what I meant by this. I understand that trying to find a true intrinsic meaning, brought about by rationale, and a deep look into the universe, is going to be a challenge. I'm not saying there isn't, but it's not a simple question to answer. This topic question is really, what motivates you. When you wake up, why do you not hang yourself? Is it because you strive to be your greatest? Is it because you enjoy the many hedonistic pleasures life has to offer? I just want to hear what type of people INTJ's tend to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,762 Posts
If you start looking for meaning, you'll find none.

People who find their life fulfilling don't question it; whether through a lack of philosophical distance or the feeling of being compelled to do what it is they're doing. Should these people start questioning it, well, in the latter their emotions dwindle for lack of a 'reason' to hang them on, and in the former, you get things like mid-life crises.

All you can do is actively experience life, and reject detachment, to feel like there is a meaning.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
217 Posts
Rather than searching for meaning or accepting all that's around you on a day to day basis (which really isn't a fulfilled life at all) meaning is to be created by the individual.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Yeah, what MissJordan said.
There is no 'meaning'.
Do things that make you happy (and while doing so, avoid doing things that make others unhappy). That's really all there is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
Ok, well, when you ask what gives meaning, with no explanation, you pretty much asking a philosophical question.

I closed this when you said you give up on the thread, but then I thought more about it, and the real question you are asking is interesting to me.

I would say happiness is a very small part of my life, often going for months or years at a time with none. If I were to put a percentage on it, it would be maybe 10% of my life has been happy. Which leaves 90% split between unhappy and "meh" - the meh part being when I have things to distract me away from the unhappiness, so I really couldn't call it "happy".

So I have often thought that the overall happiness value is below zero, meaning non-existence is actually happier than existence for me, but at the same time, actually ceasing life takes an extreme amount of suffering, so that's often not enough to overcome the idea that overall happiness for the future can somehow be above zero.

I have thought that, if we had to actively choose to wake up the next day, it would be an easy out, as apathy would just let it end, but since apathy keeps it going, there is no easy out to this.


So yea, I guess what motivates me to go on is the thoguht that overall future happiness can still be above zero, which I realise isn't logical, but is moreso determined by the will to live that is often not a conscious choice and difficult to break out of, and having experienced those fleeting happy times also makes you want that again, no matter how unlikely it is to make overall happiness enough to be worthwhile. It's a sick delusion leading to perpetual unhappiness.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top