Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That can include introspection, retrospection, day-dreaming, the whole works.

I've begun to notice in myself that all of the above tend to happen not so much in in one frame of reference. When I introspect, it endures at several times throughout the day building around one central question I'm asking myself. I used to sit myself down at night and just lay in bed trying to puzzle everything together, but now I feel it more in terms of bursts of little thoughts. Sometimes it occurs when I least expect it, when what I'm doing may not have anything to do my deep thinking. Like, I may be cashing a check, and while waiting for the woman at the desk to verify my information, I'll unknowingly slip into a quick ten to fifteen second questionnaire, as if I'm on a game show and only have so long to answer before time is up. Other times, it may be something as soaking up in a hot shower or taking out the trash. At the end of the day I try to come to some kind of conclusion but it's always a very rundown version of my ideals, simply because I'm not OK with things being just the way they are. So, in one sense, I may not fully reach all the answers I pose myself, but it does give me contentedness in thinking about how I tick.

Where do you do your thinking?

·
Registered
534 Posts
When I introspect, reflect or daydream I usually do my best thinking outside. I can usually take a gander up at the clouds and then ponder on an unfinished answer to my questions. Or if I need a quick idea for my drawings I take a look at the clouds to envision my next character or new layout. If I'm not outside, I'm at my desk. It's pretty much sixes and sevens...junk all around. However, I make my best creations there.

Reactions: 47072

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I introspect, reflect or daydream I usually do my best thinking outside. I can usually take a gander up at the clouds and then ponder on an unfinished answer to my questions. Or if I need a quick idea for my drawings I take a look at the clouds to envision my next character or new layout. If I'm not outside, I'm at my desk. It's pretty much sixes and sevens...junk all around. However, I make my best creations there.
Totally. When I need to get my creative juices flowing for a photography project or the like, I need to sit myself down and dwell on an idea I want to convey. Being creative is apart of the introspective process for me. Once I have an idea for a photo, I absolutely have to question the meaning of it. It almost always pays forward to my value systems in some way, exclusive with what I really want out of life in a very vague way. I think it's better that way, vague. That's why giving captions to photos is so important in my opinion because only I know what they mean, and it's interesting to look over an old photo, reexamine its caption, and think back what symbolism it meant to me at the time, etc.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I do my thinking anywhere I happen to be, whether it's on my sofa while using the computer, going for a walk outside or simply sitting in my hot tub. I don't need a specific place to think, i just do it whenever I feel like it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I normally do it in my room. But I can also do it in a social situation...:happy:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I tend to think anywhere and everywhere... even mid-conversation, to the annoyance of others.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Mmm my psyche is very unpredictable. It goes through what I like to call "cycles". These are emotional cycles that repeat about once every 3 or 4 days ...and even this changes enormously. But I can introspect almost anywhere. The only place that comes to mind where I simply cannot introspect is at a metal show or in certain classes at school.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I do it everywhere, but with clear preference for the indoors. Looking at the ceiling has sprung good ideas. Looking at portraits too. Sitting in my dad's huge chair, etc.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I get in the car and I drive..... not anywhere in particular, I just drive, with a rough idea which point of the compass I will follow but I go where my mood takes me. I like driving and the open road, but most of all the car is 'my bubble', and I feel that the combination of being isolated from the outside world in the cabin of the car while having a sense of motion and not being tied to a physical location as the car moves along is the combination best suited for me to wrestle with complicated problem or intense feelings.

Hense, people who know me well now know that ''i am going for a drive'' or ''I was out in the car today'' equates to ''i spent a lot of time thinking over lots of things''.

If I cant be in the car - for example I'm in a fixed location and with other people, then I pace up and now. The common theme is motion - i often need to feel I am moving physically in order to be most likely to mentally devise some solution or understanding that metaphorically 'moves' things forward in my brain.

Equally, when I dont want to find solutions I just want to mope or reflect on things I will be very physically inactive and so the time and place matters very little to that - I will just not appear to 'do' very much at all

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't specifically choose when I do my thinking. It seems to come to me on its own. It can be at any time, when I least expect it. Thats why I try to keep my journal with me at all times. I can only write when thought comes to me, not when I go looking for it. Though sometimes when I am looking for it it is there waiting for me.

I have been learning to be very in touch with my subconscious and the results have been really stupendous as of late.

Anyone here read Blink? I need to re read it. Gladwell is the best.

EDIT: sorry im mixing up thinking and intuition here. I often, almost always, think and reflect on things and events, but I also often/almost always get intuitive thoughts. I get a feeling I can't exactly describe in my head, its a sort of distinct weight that explains to me what I have to do, it doesn't actually say anything, I just know/understand it. It can be for "in the moment" actions or thoughts. These intuitive thoughts are the most profound of all my thoughts, thats why I keep my journal with me as much as possible because these intuitions make wonderful insights to my own life.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My best thinking comes under circumstances which are, for lack of a better word, horrible.
This is where thoughts flow.

·
Wizard
3,135 Posts
It depends on the sort of thinking I'm doing.

If I'm formulating an idea, it's all about pacing in circuits like the lovely miss nightriser, but in other cases, such as daydreaming, I'm more likely to simply appear to space out. Self-examination, in the instances where I happen across a compelling revelation of some sort, often gets checked against my past experiences for some semblance of verifiability in spurts of mental urgency interspersed with forced attempts at calmness that only last for moments at a time.

When push comes to shove, the ideal circumstance is to be left alone long enough to work through my thoughts. The rest is moot.

·
Banned
1,183 Posts
That can include introspection, retrospection, day-dreaming, the whole works.

I've begun to notice in myself that all of the above tend to happen not so much in in one frame of reference. When I introspect, it endures at several times throughout the day building around one central question I'm asking myself. I used to sit myself down at night and just lay in bed trying to puzzle everything together, but now I feel it more in terms of bursts of little thoughts. Sometimes it occurs when I least expect it, when what I'm doing may not have anything to do my deep thinking. Like, I may be cashing a check, and while waiting for the woman at the desk to verify my information, I'll unknowingly slip into a quick ten to fifteen second questionnaire, as if I'm on a game show and only have so long to answer before time is up. Other times, it may be something as soaking up in a hot shower or taking out the trash. At the end of the day I try to come to some kind of conclusion but it's always a very rundown version of my ideals, simply because I'm not OK with things being just the way they are. So, in one sense, I may not fully reach all the answers I pose myself, but it does give me contentedness in thinking about how I tick.

Where do you do your thinking?
anytime anywhere... but im guessing this was a question pointed towards the introverts

·
Registered
540 Posts
I'm quite capable of spacing out, with or without reason. My friends usually learn to deal with this rather quickly.

If I need to do more in-depth thinking, though, I generally do it in front of my computer. I have music on and programs running, but I'm not really paying attention to any of it. If physical solitude is not an option, I have no problem with popping in my earbuds and tuning out the world.

·
Registered
4,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
anytime anywhere... but im guessing this was a question pointed towards the introverts
No, not at all. I've known some big introspective extroverts. So as long as you there is some salience in your deep thinking, by all means post. Being introverted doesn't mean you're introspective.

·
Banned
245 Posts
No, not at all. I've known some big introspective extroverts. So as long as you there is some salience in your deep thinking, by all means post. Being introverted doesn't mean you're introspective.
I would consider myself very introspective. Without introspection I feel very out of sorts, like my compass is broken. I'm so hyper in tuned with the world around me, I often feel like I lose touch with reality and can't even distinguish if I'm a real being. That's when I need to pull into my core and think. I meditate, talk long walks in nature, go for drives with no pre determined destination, turning up my music until the vibrations shake the windows. When I am too into my head and my thoughts overtake my mind like hurricane I have to get out and "extrovert" lol, and spill some of my mind onto others. Otherwise, if no one is available, I like to write out each emotion and thought until it makes some sort of sense and I can pin point each feeling. It slows my mind and is very cathartic.

Res, awesome thread my friend :).

1 - 20 of 198 Posts