Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't know whether to post this in the "Debate Forum" or here, so I decided to post a thread in each touching base on different subjects.

I wanted to see other people's opinions on the future of education? I mean considering the rising cost of going to a decent school, the loans people pay off most of their lives, and the relevance of degrees for certain careers (which is on the rise), I see online schools like UNiversity of Phoenix and concepts like the Khan Academy eventually competing with "real" schools and universities. Already I see online classes on the rise, even in high schools where certain classes aren't available so the student is required to take the class online.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Stopwatch

·
(ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧
5,108 Posts
Many employers won't even take U. of Phoenix online grads. It's basically a diploma mill.

Student loans are a problem. We all know about debt, so I won't go into that, but student loans basically eliminate the barriers to entry for college. So while having a degree in English or History carried with it some weight in the olden days if only because college graduates were rare, now you have so many graduates that supply has far exceeded demand.

At least, in many subjects. There are many technical fields in which skilled employees are desperately needed, but most college grads see being a machine operator as beneath them. (Which is funny, because many of these operators get paid into the 6 figures with full benefits.) It's all about supply and demand.

On top of that, most universities have lowered the difficulty of their courses as to rake in as much student loan money as possible.

IMO we need to have colleges ramp up the intensity of their programs and also provide more practical training. Also, end the student loan program, drastically scale it back, or reduce the amount of funds you can get through it. Universities would have to bring the prices down if they want to make any money.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Seeing the educational system from a personal experience. The system is rather strict with how it is expected to be processed, thus relies on students to keep it going via rising in success and hitting those top grades.

Looking at this, it becomes naturally bias and whether or not you have an extremely reasonable to - a very irrelevant excuse of the system. It will not get you so far, or atleast you may get another chance, depending on luck and extra assisstance. It is also co-dependant on the money in which the students are prepared to give for loans, (this is another factor which helps keeps people's places in education secure). In advance it sizzles down to target ones in higher classes, with wealth to keep their scheme constant. Then again, those who are in higher class may not have a longterm effect on what they are planning to do, depending on their mindset. Those in other classes are working more than just studying inside the system, but also outside of it to makesure they are secure.

It seems that educational systems are full of bullshit and entirely based of paper and pen. Not aware of how the performance of a paper and pen could be determined by growth and simple psychological factors and [NOT] some sociological crap.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many employers won't even take U. of Phoenix online grads. It's basically a diploma mill.
I know of 2 people in particular who finished some of their masters off U of Phoenix due to the amount of debt they were in, and they saved hundreds of dollars of debt while finishing their thesis at an accredited university. Perhaps at least part-time online schooling will be more prominent?

Student loans are a problem. We all know about debt, so I won't go into that, but student loans basically eliminate the barriers to entry for college. So while having a degree in English or History carried with it some weight in the olden days if only because college graduates were rare, now you have so many graduates that supply has far exceeded demand.
Agreed. If people actually see how simple it actually was to get a piece of paper that says "I can do this", and the real issue is money and the costs, then perhaps revisions could be made.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
The focus might potentially angle more towards vocational/technical trade schools and community colleges. Some people my say they are all bad choices but I have known so many people who have opted for those instead of a 4 year/ivy league school and wound up being much happier and better off for it. Not to mention the more "technical" fields just as Welding and electrical engineering tech/automation/mechanics is high in demand.

·
Registered
8,651 Posts
I see the possibility of more stuff like Khan Academy and Open Courseware, where there are independent accreditation bodies that do the testing to make sure you know the material. Say you wanted to be a Systems Administrator. You would take the free classes online. To get a degree, you'd go to a testing center and get a certification like a CCNA or MCITP. Each cert would count for so many credits in a certain area and once you accumulated the proper credit types, you'd be awarded a degree. There could also be tests for gen eds that would rate you at a certain level of competency and give you credit for it.

I know Western Governor's University does something similar to this. I think that eventually you could get your degree by a number of ways including the traditional college setting we know now, online classes that are built with structure and a defined pace, or online classes that are self-paced and you take a test at an accredited testing center to determine if you have a certain level of competency with this. I could also see tutor centers that revolve around this coursework popping up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts