Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So..... It's time I start considering where I want to live and what would make me happy without depending on the fact that I will miss everyone if I move away as the only reason why I would stay here....

Hmm.... Where is a good INFP Enneagram 4w5 place to live?

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Well, I'm an INFP 4w5 and to me the perfect place is a cabin in the woods.
If you're asking about cities... I dunno. Personally, I adore Edinburgh, Scotland. I've traveled Europe a lot for many years (I'm spanish) and personally no city compares to Edinburgh so far :) If you enjoy the cold weather, of course.
Ideally, if I could go just anywhere without financial restrictions, I'd stay in my own country (Spain) but I'd leave this town and move to a house in the countryside surrounded by rivers and trees, and lots of space to create art and adopt dogs haha.
Consider your weather preferences, don't forget. I find that people often ignore that aspect of a place but it's important.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
MBTI and enneagram don't necessarily discount anywhere. I think this is too vague a question to answer (it's your choice, anyway). You need to have a good think of what kind of environment you want, whether you are limited to urban areas by the nature of your job, what kind of weather you like, what kind of terrain you like, what kind of people you like, what kind of city and of what size you like, if you do, what kind of architecture you like, what kind of amenities you like, what kind of politics you like - relevant in the States and overseas - what kind of standard of living you're willing to settle for, etc. I can't answer those questions for you. Once you've answered them you shouldn't have a long list left. All people are different. For instance, there was an INFP favourite seasons/weather thread several weeks back and a bunch liked hot and a bunch liked cold. If you like the cold then me suggesting, say, Morocco to you will not be helpful. There are a bunch of places I like which I could tell you about, but it may not apply.

Do you want to stay in the US or not?

·
Registered
INTP 874 sx/sp VLEF melancholic
17,126 Posts
Washington State is worth looking into.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think it depends entirely on if you want to participate in modern society, primitive society, or if you're a survivalist.

I have no problem with relative isolation (I have my husband, who is my everything) so I also have gravitated towards the cabin in the woods lifestyle. Cob house in the American northwest, more specifically.

Within the last year I have started looking at living in Central America's gulf coast, particularly Belize. They are English speakers there, and many expats - though they complain of "racism" and its status as a third world country. I find these expats are going in, throwing around their wealth, and sequestering themselves from the traditional daily life of locals. This "racism" is economic only. Locals are living at a slow pace in contrast to Americans or English, so there is disrepair of public buildings and businesses and slow development. I live my life slow paced already so I see it as a cradle for creatives and dreamers. Little chance of being run over, or pushed out from competition. I realized my ideal spiritual lifestyle is directly connected to water so we must live near a river, lake or ideally, ocean. So for me, Belize is as close as it comes to paradise. Every lifestyle and every locale has its own drawbacks, naturally.

If you thrive on friendly competition and community, and activity is a must - Austin, Portland, Denver or other large liberal hubs can't be a poor choice. Smaller towns around the US support creatives too, like Asheville, NC.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
There's only one answer that matters (for this INFP): NYC-feel free to be yourself in here, and show it off to the whole world.

Honestly, no other place I could be happier as a "4w5" INFP (expensive, but it is a sacrifice I was and am willing to make.) Arts, freedom, diversity... there's no other possibility for me.

Many if not most of the INFPs on this forum seem to prefer the countryside, which is fine, though. Follow your heart.
@Monsieur Melancholy : I used to feel held back and caged back at my place of provenance... I had to get away, and did all I could to that effect. I can tell you, I am honestly at a better place in my life now than I ever was back then. Though I am not saying things will get better if you move (to wherever place fits you of course-NYC is not for everybody), it could nonetheless be the start of a wonderful journey of personal development. My apologies if you have already expressed your sentiments on the matter, as I haven't read all your posts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts