Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever noticed that there is no right answer? Okay, maybe in Math there is, because if you did everything properly and systematically, you're supposed to get a certain answer. But even in Math, the right answer changes from problem to problem and is never constant.

The right answer in real life is even more complicated.

Sometimes I think that advice columnists have it hard. Based on the situation described in the speaker's letter and the tone of voice they have, they are supposed to help the speaker make a decision that will potentially change their life forever. I wonder if there are times that the speaker tried the columnist's advice and it didn't work. I wonder how frequently those times are.

You will never know whether or not you did the right thing, married the right person, chose the right job, raised your children right, or lived in the right place. Of course, no one can ever really do all of those things at the same time (especially live in the right place) because resources aren't feasible and not all circumstances are created equal.

And what is right anyway? Is right what society tells you is right or what you truly believe from the bottom of your heart or something entirely different and separated from the rest of the world?

It gets hard when you made a decision that you know saved you from a lifetime of unhappiness, but no one seems to support you or even agrees with you on that.

Right or wrong is not set, merely fluid and situational and varies from culture to culture and even person to person.

Sometimes you assume that if you go to the right school and find the right job and marry the right partner, you won't feel empty or dissatisfied or angry anymore. This message is drilled into you by your parents and your peers and the media and society because it helps perpetuate a system built on the energy of people chasing illusions, and because we secretly fear if we stopped chasing this illusion, we wouldn't know if life mattered all on its own, or really even what to do next. What if a new ideal life wasn't on the horizon? Would we be able to appreciate our regular, sometimes disappointing, but ultimately real and powerful lives?

Stop.

What comes next?

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Heh.. This blog entry of yours sounds so much along the lines of something I could had written or thought..
Just the tags.. " decisions, life, outside, right or wrong?, speculation. " I could get hours to pass by slowly thinking about those.

I like your comparison to math.
I clearly remeber when in school I first heard about "rounding numbers up" or down. I was like "why?" it does not really make any sense. The only purpose of it is to make it easier, to make it fit.. Correct me if I am wrong.
Taking 6.8 and making it into 7 ^^.
It could be used as an analogy for many things in life I think.
Because ambivalance is not really our strong side, being unsure is not our strong side.
They say black and white thinking is something disordered, yet, we sort of crave that. Atleast to some extent.

If someone asks me out, and I give an answered like "ehmm.. yeaah.. noo. hmm.." they will push for a yes or a no. And I will proberbly do the same.

Not really copareable to anything so much maybe, but it is so funny that (atleast in my country), everything for sale is listed at 99,95 but you cant pay 99,95.

As with "spectrums" also, it cant really be understood.. Unless you practise your mind to think in some spectrum-analysis-mode?.

Have you read about cognitive dissonance?.
Or "Pensees" by blaise pascal. Wonderful book with lots of sentances about life, etc.. also about right and wrong. + he was one of the first to invent a mechanical calculator.

Anyway, without perhaps understanding everything your saying/thinking about..
I agree.. Everyone in their own right, or wrong..

Something right and be wrong.. And something wrong can be right.
True or false?. A true false or a false truth..

Have a good day or night.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Mirkwood Thanks for commenting. :) I never thought about the number rounding, that's a really interesting example. I'll definitely look up Pascal's book at the library, and yeah, cognitive dissonance is something that we all have but just don't think about, because it would be way too painful to think about.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
koalamort;bt48890 said:
@Mirkwood Thanks for commenting. :) I never thought about the number rounding, that's a really interesting example. I'll definitely look up Pascal's book at the library, and yeah, cognitive dissonance is something that we all have but just don't think about, because it would be way too painful to think about.
No problem, or as we would say here "so little", loosely translated.

Just came across your blog post and thought it was very thoughtful.. deep.
Not something that perhaps helps run ones daily life perhaps. maybe.
But interesting. Something i fall into myself, as already said : ).

Yeah, the rounding up and down.. so un-math-like.. yet still a part of it.

About pascal´s book by the way. It has alot on Christianity, and some would say it is very pessimistic.
I sort of skipped those sections heavy on religion, and I dont really take the pessimism to heart or mind.

Anyway, it is not a typical book, but all his notes .. observations and thoughts about the world, life, religion, etc etc.. "Thoughts" as pensees translate into.

And cognitive dissonance, yes, painful :proud::frustrating:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts