Personality Cafe banner

Where to draw the line regarding what's classified as a "Mental Illness"

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Introspiritual 
I think the line could be drawn where the person in question is harmfull to others and/or having personal problems because of the illness. So if a person is hallucinating, seeing butterflies near the ceiling that aren't there, that isn't a problem. So I don't think it's fair to diagnose the person as mentally ill, even if he/she believes that they're actually there despite others' countless attempts to establish that they're not there.

However, if the hallucinations were zombies who're constantly trying to kill him/her or if it's voices in his/her head telling him/her to harm other people it might be fair to consider it a mental illness. I mean, it's definitely a problem that the person would be better off without.

But well, for some people it's probably enough to not trust the establishment to be considered as a paranoid schizophrenic looney with toys in the attic.. I mean, there are those people who consider anything that's different from themselves as wrong and some of those people work hard, it seems, to categorize the different kinds of "wrongness"..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.