Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Too often is the phobic six simply described as always trying to stick by the side of authority, as being these little meek and compliant things that squeak when they hear the word "Rebellion". Counterphobic sixes get their misconceptions busted, so why not phobic sixes? I have my own prejudices, of course, so feel free to suggest changes. A lot of this has basically grown out of the opposite of the counterphobic threads, because the typical phobic 6 suggested doesn't sound like a natural dichotomy versus the counterphobic 6. So maybe not misconceptions so much as "If the counterphobic is like this, wouldn't it follow that the phobic is like this?". Well, anyhoo:

Misconception 1: It's all about authority

Counterphobic sixes are acknowledged as facing anxiety in all areas by trying to smash through those things that inspire it. But phobic sixes are frequently described only in their relation to authority. The anxiety of sixes, however, is noted for its pervasiveness in all things. With omnipresent anxiety means a way to deal with it everywhere. The phobic six's approach is to use their anxiety (Yes, use it. This is the irony of the six.) as a feeler, to detect areas of danger. Where the counterphobic six uses their anxiety like a scout to ferret out places to attack, the phobic six uses it to locate hazards. And when you see a hazard, you avoid it, you try to find another way around it. Sure, sure, phobic sixes often do find hazards in upsetting the guy with the big stick, but that's not the only place they can find it.

Misconception 2: Phobic 6s are extra loyal

Sorry guys, but phobic 6s are not necessarily unwilling to jump ship. Staying with a losing team is often full of problems, and the phobic 6 who can sneak out without creating a big scene (that part is key, the anxiety of turmoil can be too much) may well find it worth their while. Of course, even if fraught with anxiety, personal compunctions are able to override worries about a situation and phobic sixes don't turn turncoat at the hint of danger. Rest assured, however, that we do know when to fold em'.

Misconception 3: Phobic 6s are more afraid than counterphobic sixes

Nah, the difference is that the phobic 6s just react by attempting to circumvent fears instead of "HULK SMASH!". Both intend to solve their same worrying in some way. The phobic/counterphobic types differ in solutions, not in problems.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Too often is the phobic six simply described as always trying to stick by the side of authority, as being these little meek and compliant things that squeak when they hear the word "Rebellion". Counterphobic sixes get their misconceptions busted, so why not phobic sixes? I have my own prejudices, of course, so feel free to suggest changes. A lot of this has basically grown out of the opposite of the counterphobic threads, because the typical phobic 6 suggested doesn't sound like a natural dichotomy versus the counterphobic 6. So maybe not misconceptions so much as "If the counterphobic is like this, wouldn't it follow that the phobic is like this?". Well, anyhoo:

Misconception 1: It's all about authority

Counterphobic sixes are acknowledged as facing anxiety in all areas by trying to smash through those things that inspire it. But phobic sixes are frequently described only in their relation to authority. The anxiety of sixes, however, is noted for its pervasiveness in all things. With omnipresent anxiety means a way to deal with it everywhere. The phobic six's approach is to use their anxiety (Yes, use it. This is the irony of the six.) as a feeler, to detect areas of danger. Where the counterphobic six uses their anxiety like a scout to ferret out places to attack, the phobic six uses it to locate hazards. And when you see a hazard, you avoid it, you try to find another way around it. Sure, sure, phobic sixes often do find hazards in upsetting the guy with the big stick, but that's not the only place they can find it.

Misconception 2: Phobic 6s are extra loyal

Sorry guys, but phobic 6s are not necessarily unwilling to jump ship. Staying with a losing team is often full of problems, and the phobic 6 who can sneak out without creating a big scene (that part is key, the anxiety of turmoil can be too much) may well find it worth their while. Of course, even if fraught with anxiety, personal compunctions are able to override worries about a situation and phobic sixes don't turn turncoat at the hint of danger. Rest assured, however, that we do know when to fold em'.

Misconception 3: Phobic 6s are more afraid than counterphobic sixes

Nah, the difference is that the phobic 6s just react by attempting to circumvent fears instead of "HULK SMASH!". Both intend to solve their same worrying in some way. The phobic/counterphobic types differ in solutions, not in problems.
Ahh, I was expecting for this thread someday. :p But most of the 6s are not typically phobic, they might be leaning more towards phobic 6 with 50% traits of CP. Example: me. (just an individual example) There are many of you out there (type 6s) who are like me.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
o.o I always thought that the non phobic bits in me were CP 6 bits :p so to say.

Personally I identify mainly as phobic, but since I'm unlike the phobic descriptions I think that its somewhere in the middle. I tend to think things through and not jump in to fight fear, but I'm also rebellious and strong willed.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Haha, I'm pretty much phobic all over. Don't know how that happened. x3 And that can be a good thing as well as a bad thing. But yes, despite the fact that I'm very phobic (and I probably fit the stereotype more than most do):

I am not a sheep. I will not blindly follow authority, even though I tend to like submitting to whatever authority I deem as "trustworthy". It's just how it goes for me. I'm not a leader-type. I don't like that. I actually like to think of myself as pretty dang loyal (and sometimes almost to a fault), but I think that side of me is more of a me-thing. Not purely a Phobic Six thing. o_O

I am not more afraid. I think it just shows more on me. Especially since I don't necessarily face my fears in that head on way CPs do. Actually, I think being extremely Phobic makes me a really good problem-solver and problem-seer. Catching problems miles before they happen. I'm definitely good about finding ways around something. I also know when I'm going to just have to face something head on, and I've done everything I can do.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, I'm pretty much phobic all over. Don't know how that happened. x3 And that can be a good thing as well as a bad thing.
Same boat! I'm a pretty strongly phobic six too! Other than your bit about loyalty (I'm unfortunately not that great in that area), I identified a lot with your post.

·
MOTM Jan 2012
6,514 Posts
Nice thread, Owfin. I've noticed the points that you brought up in the behavior of my brother. He is a INFP phobic 6w5, but he's not some quivering nansy who is afraid of his own shadow. Anxiety is a big key to his personality, but just like any 6, he is very ambivalent when it comes to authority, and while he is loyal, he realizes that it is partly out of his desire for stability.

I believe that all 6s are on a continuum between phobic and counterphobic, and while they prefer one end of the spectrum, they often fluctuate along the continuum.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Where the counterphobic six uses their anxiety like a scout to ferret out places to attack, the phobic six uses it to locate hazards. And when you see a hazard, you avoid it, you try to find another way around it. Sure, sure, phobic sixes often do find hazards in upsetting the guy with the big stick, but that's not the only place they can find it.
So, as a phobic Six, do you attempt to avoid dealing with authority figures? Do you minimize your contact with them and try to stay outside of their radar range?

Or do you instead actively seek them out for some sense of security your association with them provides?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I'm a phobic 6 and I am quite anti-authoritarian. There are plenty of anti-authority Phobic 6s, we just don't make a habit of showing off overtly like many CPs. Go to an Occupy protest and you will see plenty of us P-6s working behind the scenes with the 9s, 2s, and 5s

·
Registered
675 Posts
The "unconscious" drive of the 6 is to find their proper authority. When a 6 is rebel he in reality try to "be the authority", same when he test authority, ect. When he test fact or deny them, in reality he try to accept them as a part of himself.
Imo a ultra complying 6 just can not exist, or just on a surface level. There is always an element of rebeliousness, but sometime you need to dig deeper for seeing that.
100% complying mode is not possible (without mental illness), simply because the dichotomie complying to "reality"/personnal meaning of reality for the 6 is a part of his big conflict beetween ID and Super ID (I assume voluntarily that a major part of 6 here are INFj in socionic, then the conflict is beetween Ni and Te - INFj is simply what is the closest to type 6 in term of function, functionnment, view, ect).
That conflict can materialize like an impression that life is senseless, an impression of a need to fight vs the world for maintaining proper personnality, a need for spirituality/religiousness, an impression that he need to maintain balance beetween personnal life and "work" life, an inclination toward art apreciation/collection or pursuit, a sense that he need a "higher purpose" and not just accepting kind of rationnalization like "you need to do what I say because X fact Y fact Z fact",ect.

When 6 come to find his proper authority, act on his need and want, make more plan to accomplish things and make his proper decisions toward what they think as "themself", hi will end sensing something is lacking, or get an impression of loss. Then here the path of the 6 begin to be really interesting.

Reactions: mushr00m

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hey there, mind busting a stereotype for me? "6's tend to be indecisive."
And go.
(please and thanks if you're willing)

·
Registered
916 Posts
I wouldn't consider myself either. Would I much rather be cocky and confident when approaching apprehensive situations, yes? But, I went climbing this weekend and got to a point where I felt like I didn't know where to put my feet and the logistics in that. I had an 80 pound bag on my back, if I went on my knees I could barely get up, and I was dog tired because we where on the move in some tough terrain. I was hopping from boulder to boulder, and balancing on slipper rocks amongst huge waves, and I even feel on my ass hard on one. And we didn't eat lunch of have breaks because we were trying to do two days of hiking in one, beat the sun, and hit the tides right. So, yeah I had to climb this cliff because of an impassable headland. And when i got to that point where I froze in fear half way up. I cried. Man, I was scared. lol And I had to tell my sister and her boyfriend to tell me I could do it. So, I think that's counterphobia is telling yourself you can, on your own. I can do that. But, I usually like knowing what I'm doing mixed in with confidence in myself. Otherwise, I'm more hesitant until I've practiced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts