Personality Cafe banner

Which attracts you more, lyrics or melody?

2K views 33 replies 26 participants last post by  NIHM 
#1 · (Edited)

Anyone can answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Interesting question!

I'm both Autistic & Adhd. When I'm struggling with under-stimulation, I often use (very loud music) to help pick me back up. But during these times I am literally craving the most obnoxious and offensive electronic music sounds, lol

When I am feeling reflective, or am processing something, the lyrics carry more weight. But ultimately, for me, I think music is at best a sensory experience. It's like if I let go fully, I can feel all the vibrations rippling through my body. At some point during that process the lyrics become meaningless, lol

#4 ·
I think people are driven by mood. It's not just because you're A&A.

Usually, I hate loud obnoxious stuff but I'm an old person now so it's Frank Sinatra LOL

But if somebody posts something well done in the loud category, I can dig it. I'm certainly not going for lyrics in the loud category.

#10 ·

Anyone can answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neither. I like rhythm and beat. Lyrics usually influence my mood, which I reject, or disgust me, or make me jealous.
Melody is cool at times but can be addictive or also a mood influencer, often also feels pompous and high-brows.
Rhythm is a bit simplistic and lowly but it is stable and I can trust it emotionally.
Beat is just cool if it's not too loud.

#15 · (Edited)
There are some artists who excel at lyrics while also having great melody, I definitely go for that. There is some music that has decided to ditch lyrics altogether and sometimes this is the same exact band! Take Dead Can Dance, for instance who write some of the most erudite deep intelligent and feeling lyrics and who also have a few songs that have a quasi-language meant to only be a conduit for melody.

2 examples from the same group. A lot of their songs have both great lyrics and great melody, these two examples just happen to be a trade-off.

I got to say… sometimes if lyrics are really stupid and the person is trying or sometimes if the lyrics are personal in a stupid way— like discussing how annoying it is to be famous or something— if I find the topic really stupid and not applicable to anyone but that artist… it can turn me off big time. This is one of the reasons I might seriously dislike a band/artist.

Truth? shallow lyrics or shallow subject in general turn me off. If you’re gonna have lyrics, give me at least some kind of truth or slice of humanity in some way… if it’s going to be silly, be silly… but don’t be shallow or stupid or conceited, you know?

#16 ·
Ok, so it is interesting because I never paid attention to lyrics when young unless it was Nirvana. But now I dig deep into the lyrics, esp the songs of my younger years. But maybe it is because I have taken an interest in psychology.

Now, when I listen to bands like early Metallica and Soundgarden, I appreciate the songs more because both have really intense lyrics. I had no idea what I was missing out on.

Reactions: ai.tran.75
#17 ·
Hey @ai.tran.75 this thread helped give me courage to write the thread I just made in the NF forum.

Reactions: ai.tran.75
#21 ·
Lyrics are kinda irrelevant to me because my mind just doesn't process them the right way, and its the sound of the music (including vocals) that moves me.

Reactions: NIHM and ai.tran.75
#22 · (Edited)
Music has a slight lead, but lyrics are very important. I get irritated when the lyrics are sub par.

Example: one of my favorite new artists is Laufey. Her music is stunning, she has a beautiful ethereal presence and is very easy on the eye, but her lyrics are very much 6th grade. I so wish she would collaborate with a good lyricist. It would make a world of difference.

#24 ·
Glad I never have that problem. lol

#28 ·
I don't know the terminology well, I believe the term is progression, like how the piece moves from interval to interval which is what creates all the emotional tones, moods, changes. I prefer subtle stuff and enjoy some good dissonances we find in heavy metal. It requires to be emotionally daring to produce good stuff tho. Like, I still can't find something that has surpassed Cradle of Filth's "Bathory Aria" or "Tearing the Veil from Grace" in emotional expression of grandness, darkness, horror, anger, mystery, and god knows what else I don't even have the words. CoF were pioneers and pretty much geniuses in elevating the genre, but it's understandable coz singer and main writer is ENFP 🙃 dunno the types of others.
Lyrics can add impact on a song too, so I'm not dismissing them. For example, Thrice's "Beyond the Pines" wouldn't be the same without the lyrics. But I just love the most when a song speaks without words.

#29 · (Edited)
I pay more attention to the lyrics, but I don't know what attracts me more. I really enjoy some instrumental music that has no lyrics. I also enjoy music that I cannot understand the lyrics of. But I also enjoy finding out what the lyrics are...so idk

Sometimes when I don't want to think about lyrics I will only listen to instrumental and foreign language songs.

If I had to choose one type of music to listen to for the rest of my life, I would choose instrumental music with no lyrics over lyrical music. I'm more likely to disagree with or dislike lyrics as well. My favorite lyrical songs have to have lyrics I relate to in some way and like, which is not common.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.