Personality Cafe banner

Do you experience a deeper, stronger connection to lyrics/vocals or to instrumentals.

• Lyrics/vocals really touch my soul and express my feelings, I love that most about music

Votes: 44 35.8%
  • Instrumentals really touch my soul and inspire my imagination, I love that most about music

Votes: 79 64.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An INFP friend and I were talking about music we like and I found it very interesting that she felt she couldn't really connect with a song unless it had lyrics/a human voice, whereas I seem to have a much deeper gut connection with instrumental music, or instrumental sections within a song.

So what about you?

Do you connect most deeply with (are moved most by and love) the lyrics of a song?

Or do you connect most deeply with (feel moved by and love) instrumental portions of music?

I know both of them work together, but when you think about it, which one is what attracts you most, or makes you love a song the most. In a way I suppose it's a matter of connecting with feelings and ideas more through words or through sounds.

(p.s. I know I've posted something about this before, but I felt like making a poll just to see the results).

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I voted for instrumentals, but it really depends on the artist for me. When I listen to someone like Bob Dylan, Tom Waits, or Johnny Cash, I tend to listen to the lyrics more because it seems to be what they work the most on. For most other artists, it's more about the music because when you have goofy lyrics where you know they're just screwing around like "I know the sharks, they don't have wings" or "I'm waving my dick in the wind," (actual lines from songs I listen to) I start paying attention to the instrumentals more for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I really can't vote on this as both are extremely important to me. I can enjoy a song with good instrumentals but mediocre lyrics, just not love it. Equally I can love the lyrics to a song but if the instrumentals are kinda bland then I lose interest. I need a solid combination of both, generally.

I have different moods, though. When I'm in a more reflective, introspective, melancholic and solemn mood I like to put on music with more of a lyrical focus and a downbeat, acoustic instrumental backing. When I'm looking to exercise or get fired up I put on stuff with more of a heavy instrumental shift; guitars, bass, drums, a pounding instrumental track with the lyrics just being functional. When I'm angsty and introspective but looking to be more externalising with my feelings, to let loose, I need both in equal amounts; powerful instrumentals but intense lyrical out-pourings I find myself chanting over and over whilst letting the music surge through me!

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
I also differentiate vocals from lyrics.... For instance, I love the vocals in Cocteau Twins' music, but there are no lyrics (it's mostly gibberish). I consider those vocals on par with an instrument.
I also love clever & poetic lyrics, but they can't seem to save a song if the music is off. I also like music that doesn't have any lyrics/vocals. The music is probably #1 then, but good vocals & lyrics can be huge factors in making a song great. Ultimately, I'd rather not choose, but I picked music just to vote :) .

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
What a very feeler way to make your poll options :crazy:.

In any event, I much prefer the melody of a song to its lyrics... I almost never know a word of the lyrics to a song, and I find some of the more enjoyable ones with lyrics to be the one's that are in different languages that I can only barely comprehend because that way I focus on the pure music (and I do count the voice as an instrument).

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can't vote in this...
To me, I like the melody of the voice. I could care less about lyrics AND instrumentals.

·
Banned
406 Posts
You know, you really should have included a third option for both. Perhaps another one for neither (for those of us that like to be funny). I appreciate both.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
The human voice is very beautiful in some songs but I'm almost completely indifferent to the lyrics and would rather a purely non-verbal (not necessarily non-vocal) communication of emotion. I prefer instrumental music, I listen to many songs ('songs are 'sung') but I have to go out of my way to find the best, minus maybe 60s/70s soul, African music and 90s hip hop, the average song doesn't interest me.
I could care less about lyrics AND instrumentals.
This is crazy to me, lol. With *most* songs, the instrumental is what makes me like it.

Please don't lump lyrics and vocals together. I love vocals; the human voice is one of the most beautiful musical instruments there is. Lyrics, on the other hand, I can do without. More often than not, they hurt a song more than they help it.​
I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes this distinction.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Please don't lump lyrics and vocals together. I love vocals; the human voice is one of the most beautiful musical instruments there is. Lyrics, on the other hand, I can do without. More often than not, they hurt a song more than they help it.
This. But overall I think music doesn't need vocals to be good, while I've never really been taken by a solo vocalist.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
If it's only the lyrics that anyone cares about it music, then they don't care about the music itself. They might as well just read/write poems.
Precisely. If I want beautiful words, I will go read poetry or a well-written book. (Which is not to say that good lyrics don't help a song, but they are not at all my first priority.)

·
Registered
820 Posts
I much prefer listening to instruments - piano, mainly. But that's not to say I don't listen to vocals; it's just not nearly as often. I don't care about lyrics at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Both?? I love both Lyrics & instrumental. . even really graceful and amazing sounds can make me cry. It's funny how music affects us that way <3

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I voted for vocals (lyrics) because for me, the human voice is the most amazing instrument. But I don't want to trivialize what I get from instrumentals. I just love all music -- except Eric Clapton's Slowhand album and anything by Gordon Lightfoot as a result of a traumatic experience in the dentist's chair about 40 years ago. :tongue:

4,757 Posts
The best songs have a good balance, but what I really appreciate are the lyrics and the emotions suffused into them by the vocalist.

Good example: Neutral Milk Hotel. Stunning lyrics and Jeff Mangum pours so much feeling into his lyrics.

·
Sludgefeast
12,836 Posts
Mostly instruments and the music, but like someone said before, it REALLY depends on the artist/musician/racket makers in question. Some might be intentionally obscure with their lyrics and have a smorgasbord of music for ears to feast upon, others might have the most fascinating lyrics and just use the instruments as a vehicle for the words.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Lyrics because I like finding the meaning behind them and I think the human voice is absolutely beautiful. I'm a singer myself, so I guess I'm biased.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts