Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have finally narrowed down my choices for a career to two options.

Graphic Designer: I would have the ability to do something creative and self expressive in a far more independent way than most jobs offer. This is appealing to me as I love to be able to contribute something of myself and see it in action. The downside would be having to sell myself and dealing with all the hassle of freelancing as opposed to steady employment.

Physical Therapist They seem to be in high demand, and it is a job where I can help others in a relaxed and positively focused environment. These places always seem so calm and unhurried, where the focus is on helping others feel better and make improvements. The downside would be having to learn all the medical details that go along with fields like this. I'm not so good with details...

I plan to go to school to reach for one of these goals, but as of now, I cannot decide which one would be the best fit for me, and which would have the best chance of success. Anyone with experience in these fields, please give me some advice!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Imagine doing each one of them for countless hours over and over. Which one seems more you.. I mean graphics you can get out your creative side while Physical Therapist you can get out your interactive side.
I'd pick Physical Therapist- you get to deal with people, seems more important and worthwhile to me.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Definitely do whichever makes you happy. The one thing about physical therapy that can be difficult for someone with strong empathy is that you are continuously causing each patient pain. It's going to help them in the long run, but at that moment, there are many who would like nothing more than to reach out and smack/punch you and may curse and throw hissy fits or refuse to do what they need to in order to get better. Patience and a passion for healing are necessary, but the work is incredibly rewarding when you get someone who can barely walk/move/is in extreme pain turn their lives around and manage to find their way back to leading productive lives.

I don't know much about graphic design, but it sounds like another worthy pursuit. Maybe the best idea would be to talk to a few people in both fields and hear their thoughts and opinions and what drew them to the field. That may give you a better idea of the type of things to look forward to and the type of people you'd be working with.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Well, this is easy... Both!

Physical Therapist as a primary
Graphics Design as a side job (possibly even entrepreneurial venture). You'll likely end up doing more freelance work instead of major marketing schemes, but that should enough to tickle your fancy. Furthermore, you don't necessarily need a degree in this field and it's possible to self-teach yourself.

It's the same general idea with me. I'm focusing on policing, but with a side venture on e-commerce. Why scratch one area when you can scratch both?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't have experience of either field, but I do have the experience of the difficult choice which isn't really that difficult once you try both. My choice has been between working for a profit-making company and working for a non-profit school. I'm definitely not going back to the industry. I don't care if the enterprise makes profit enough to secure a job in there.

You might like graphic design, but what if your living depended on what you do? How do you handle the pressure of making a living while having fun creating and designing stuff? Being a physical therapist probably gives you little stress, but I would imagine that after a day full of appointments, you'd need some time alone. I think INFP's would go for the steady income that is paid for helping out patients (or students).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts