Personality Cafe banner

Which city is your favorite, and why?

[BabyBoomers] 
10K views 42 replies 26 participants last post by  Fathertymme 
#1 ·
Believe it or not, my favorite city is not in So Cal where I live. It is Chicago. I had the great pleasure to visit there several years ago and I was blown away at how majestic the architecture was downtown. LA has nothing on Chicago. And super clean, I took the L out of town and then I saw the brick buildings that looked like a bomb went off nearby. Even that I found fascinating. Of course I was on the L , if I was walking the streets I don't know that It would be so fascinating :)

I was on my way outside of town to visit Frank Lloyd Wrights home and studio, it was like stepping back into time What a quaint lttle town. As soon as I stepped off the Train, it was like a whole different world. I ate at a little sandwich shop and revelled over the old bank across the street. The town name was Oak Park. It was a trip I will never forget

#2 ·
I love Santa Fe, New Mexico. Been there many times. It has a vibe I can't explain, even with pictures but being there feels like getting music goosebumps to me. Every time I left there I felt homesick for it. It's more of a large art community than a traditional city. Very picturesque, laid back & charming. You see a lot of Native American & Spanish culture in the art & buildings & it has a long history. It's surrounded by a mix of mountains & desert & humidity is very low. Too expensive for me to live there though. Looking forward to spending time there after I retire. Has a small liberal arts college started by Spanish monks in 1859 & I attended a branch of it when I lived in Albuquerque. In Europe: Several. I liked Amsterdam, Brussels & Zurich a lot.

Reactions: Raeven and damfino
#3 ·
Stockholm. I visited there and fell in love with it. Its on an archipelago, so there is water all around. The architecture is pretty cool. the people and the cuisine.....wonderful

Paris. Spent literally one afternoon there. Lovely city the archictecture, the cuisine and the people watching

#5 ·
New York City.

I love the sights and sounds. Broadway. The food. The subway system. The locals are great. New Yorkers have an energy that's hard to explain. There is a feel to the place, a sense of cooperation and working together. It's like a noisy, energetic, beautifully choreographed ballet. The rich history of the place is amazing. The mix of old and new. Visit Lower Manhattan and surrounded by huge skyscrapers, you can walk a few blocks to the narrow streets of old New York and see the New York Stock Exchange, and Trinity Church, the site of Alexander Hamilton's gravesite - yes, THAT Alexander Hamilton. I love walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, the view from the crown in the Statue of Liberty, standing at the top of 30 Rock and looking out over Central Park. And Central Park ... Bethesda Fountain, the Boat House ... walking out of the park and seeing the beautiful architecture of the old buildings. I love the Dakota. The brownstones in Brooklyn, the funky, artsy feel of the Village. Never get tired of the place. Always look forward to visting.

#10 ·
Have to pick two: Denver, CO. We lived south of there in Inglewood and Parker for 5 1/2 years. Big rodeo, NFL, MLB, NBA. Spent numerous summer weekend mornings on a lake there doing trout fishing. Bad part...........when it snows, it can REALLY snow! Inches-to-feet real fast! But, the summers were sure nice and visiting Rocky Mountain State Park.......very cool!! Other city: Las Vegas. Never lived there, but when it's hot outside, a good paying slot machine and a cold brew is all I'd need!

#11 · (Edited)
A town in East Texas, 70 miles west of Houston on I-10, US 90 and Texas 71, and on the Texas Colorado River. Columbus, Texas, in Colorado County. It was established on the Colorado as part of Austin's colony in Mexico.
I never lived there, but drove through several times going to Austin, folowing the Colorado on Highway 71. It is beautiful country, laid back, a place one may call home. I ate at a Mom and Pop restuarant several times, watching, listening to the townspeople. It feels home to this wandering old Country Boy. Neighbors speak to each other and give strangers a friendly nod. The hearty fare at the restuarant filled the stomach and observing the townspeople filled the soul.

But I had promises to keep, and miles to go . . .

#12 ·
There are so many places I long to visit - London, Edinburgh, Copenhagen, St. Petersburg - and I know that I will fall in love. I love history, and places like that are so rich in stories. Stories that can be read in the architecture, in the streets, in the people, in the cemeteries, in the museums, in the monuments...

As far as cities I have visited, I loved Breckenridge, Colorado. Expensive, but beautiful, with a mountain stream running right through the heart of town, and snow-capped peaks all around.

#14 ·
Not being a skier, the mountains looked plenty steep to me lol. I enjoyed the alpine slide!

Reactions: telepariah
#15 ·
So many to choose from, and I've visited comparatively few... still, I've managed some of the top pics: Anchorage, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Miami, Washington DC, Baltimore, Los Angeles, London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Frankfurt, Sydney, Melbourne, Christchurch, Toronto, Vancouver, Mexico City -- you get the idea.

Subject to change based upon further travel and exploration, but -- and it's so cliche to say so! -- San Francisco still has my heart. She always reminds me of a slightly careworn but still classy old beauty. Nothing can touch her when you look out over the Bay, over Coit Tower from the top of Nob Hill, with her dazzling blue skies, little sailboats dotting the vista, Alcatraz and the Golden Gate in the distance, the scent of the sea and the city food in your nose and someone weird doing something weirder still on every corner. Every time I go there, I feel like I'm coming home. Which... in a way, I am.

Sydney's pretty cool, too.

#17 ·
Most places I have visited and some just driven through have all offered me something. Sometimes it is just a quaint name and a natural quiet like Painted Post, New York or Wagon Wheel, Pennsylvania; places like Keesville, New York, that serve as gateways to natural wonders (Ausable Chasm); then theres' the bee hives like NYC and Chicago, they energize and surprise; stoic Portmouth, New Hampshire; I found majesty and mighty in Denver, Colorado and its environs. I liked bits and pieces of them all. But no matter where I go, my favorite has always been my city, Washington, DC, and its burbs. These days it seems to be the hub for a lot of people who do not living here. It would be all right with me if they all just left for wherever their better place to be would be.

#19 ·
Apparently, I am one of the people who don't live in Washington, D.C., who likes to go there and make it a hub. The last time that I was there was in April. It was great fun to see the cherry blossoms and to photoraph them and to make paintings, too. I also protested a bit against endless war and the School of the Americas (we did street theater and some lobbying). I also spent time there with a friend. The Tidal Basin was awesomely beautiful! The weather was glorious!
Here is a painting that I made at the Tidal Basin. It is a mixed media project (watercolor, acrylic, and marker)
Tree Branch Woody plant Plant Trunk

#21 ·
i have 2
the big apple and buffalo
i worked in NYC for 6 month's doing line work about 17 years ago
ny is a experience, every restaurant, deli or diner had the best food in the known universe
people were great, i couldn't find one negative aspect about it
buffalo, i go there several times a week for work and besides the awful traffic it is a very beautiful area minus the snow
@walking tourist can attest to this since she lives in the area

#22 ·
Buffalo is a fascinating city with a rich history.
There is a lot of good architecture in Buffalo, and some of the most famous architects designed buildings in Buffalo. They include Frank Lloyd Wright, Louis Sullivan, and H.H. Richardson. Buffalo's park system was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. There are architecture tours given of Buffalo. City Hall is an art deco building. You can get a tour of that building, and the view from the top floor is phenomenal.
As @vinniebob pointed out, the traffic is terrible. Buffalo is not as walkable as it should be, and the mass transit system is worse than the traffic.

i have 2
the big apple and buffalo
i worked in NYC for 6 month's doing line work about 17 years ago
ny is a experience, every restaurant, deli or diner had the best food in the known universe
people were great, i couldn't find one negative aspect about it
buffalo, i go there several times a week for work and besides the awful traffic it is a very beautiful area minus the snow
@walking tourist can attest to this since she lives in the area

#26 · (Edited)
There's still many more places I haven't been than I have been, but I definitely have my favorites among those I am familiar with:

Top of the heap: New York City There's nothing it doesn't have, and it's reputation of having cold uncaring people is just a bad rep. Of course, I'm prejudiced by the fact that I spent the first 38 years of my life in its shadow, including a couple of stints working there.

Other favorites: Charlotte, Boston, San Francisco, Denver, Seattle, Vancouver (BC), Montreal, New Orleans, San Antonio, Reno, Charleston, Savannah All of these have proven interesting to visit with little or no negatives that I've found. In the case of Charlotte, I've been living there for the past 21 years. There was a bit of culture shock back in 1993, but the banking industry has brought in enough folks from NY, BOS, CHI and SF to really diversify and fortify the culture. If only the infrastructure could keep up with the growth.

Can take or leave
: Dallas, Phoenix, Cincinnati, Raleigh, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, St. Loius Meh... don't necessarily dislike them but really haven't found a reason to go back other than necessity for work or family.

Rather not
: Miami, Tampa, Houston, Los Angeles, Atlanta Haven't found anything to be fond of here.

#34 ·
I'm planning on going to Jerusalem with a group in 2020 for about 2 weeks. Will be my first trip there.

#28 ·
Portland, Oregon. I love the nature, trees, and mountains there. Absolutely breath-taking during transitional seasons like autumn or spring! The rain might bother some people but to me, I love the serenity and tranquility that a rainy day gives. I only had a chance to study in Portland, OR for a year but the connections that I have with the people there still stay strong until now. Neighborhoods are genuine, kind, friendly, honest, and mostly environmental-friendly!
I've been living in LA for a few years now and I still miss Portland dearly. SoCal is great for food, shopping, roadtrips but overall too stressful to live - especially the traffic stress. People here can be rude and materialistic at times...not everyone but some individuals who I have encountered.

#29 ·
By the way, I hope this message doesn't interrupt the thread.
I'm assisting a research study on Empathy Expressions across demographics. I want to invite you to take an anonymous survey on an empathic expressions study across demographics.

If you were born between 1946-1964, you are eligible to participate in this study. The participation will only involve in taking a 10-minute survey questionnaire. All of the responses will be kept confidential. Neither the researchers nor anyone else will be able to link the data to you.

If you have friends who are baby boomers, please feel free to pass along this invitation to participate in the study! Your participation will greatly help the researchers gain new knowledge about how people from different groups express empathy!

Here is the link to enter the online survey:
https://fullerton.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_73dgAnT35bAn3ff

Thank you very much for your time in reading this request! Please message me if you have any question or concern regarding the study!
:smile:

#31 ·
Recently, I spent some time in Savannah, Georgia. Branches of the live oaks arch over the streets and it feels like walking through a portal when you're walking down those streets. The oaks are covered with Spanish moss, which gives them a mysterious quality. The architecture, especially in the historic district, is incredible. The whole city was beautiful.

Reactions: Aqualung
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.