Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. I like Tetris. So do a lot of other people. what kind of brain function does the Tetris game rely upon?

·
Banned
1,695 Posts
Se and Si could also be involved, I think. My husband is better at tetris than I am, and he's an ENTJ, however, he also played it a lot more than me.

·
Boaz & Jachin
ESTJ; LSE-Te; 6w5; 631; Sp/Sx; DC; TN
14,734 Posts
It doesn't require any particular function usage.

Reactions: crazitaco and niss

·
Registered
697 Posts
I'm an ENTP and I have few patience for it, although I'm fairly good. I think anyone can be good at it, especially if they're determined and quick to think on their feet.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I'm pretty sure all the functions can help with it, just in different ways.

Si - Getting a complete view of all the details of the situation. What's the next block, how does it fit in the current situation, stuff like that.
Se - Getting a feel for how the game responds to the given inputs. If I press this button, this action happens.
Ni - Seeing the underlying patterns from the Se interactions.
Ne - Seeing options for how a block might fit into the current state and which blocks might fit into future positions.

Ti - Developing patterns for how to play the game in the abstract
Te - Formulationg the short-term goal and steps towards reaching that goal.
Fi - Giving a reason for investing time in the game - For example: Personal achievement
Fe - Giving a reason for investing time in the game - For example: Social norms

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,488 Posts
Te- It's outward, objective a observable logical. Just make the pieces fit to create a line.

Although Ti could have it's own unique strategy in going about it. You know those people who stack up blocks almost to the point of losing the game then score line after line for optimal scoring? Yeah, that's very Ti......possibly some Ni as well.

·
Banned
354 Posts
Te- It's outward, objective a observable logical. Just make the pieces fit to create a line.

Although Ti could have it's own unique strategy in going about it. You know those people who stack up blocks almost to the point of losing the game then score line after line for optimal scoring? Yeah, that's very Ti......possibly some Ni as well.

Can't that be Si to some degree? Someone figured out that this is the best strategy to playing the game, so the player aims to do that every time. Whether the person discovered this strategy on his own or learned it from someone else....there's that element of using what worked best in the past.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

I usually refer to Ti as strategy and Te as tactics. Ti wants global rules for solving a generic problem, while Te wants actions to achieve immediate results.

That said, Te can easily recognize that if the goal is to score the maximum amount of points and you get the most points from finishing multiple lines at the same time, that means that the real goal is to set up the pieces in a way that you can score four rows at the same time.

In that way, Ti and Te can come to the same conclusion, but in a different way. That's why behaviour is such a bad indicator of type. It's the thought processes that define type, not the actions.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Tetris is about rapid pattern recognition and lightening reflexes and fine motor skills. In other words, it's not really about thinking, and more about perception.

That said, my INTP wife is the best Tetris player I've ever seen. She has long-term strategies when playing, and works the system that she learned slowly over time. I use the present tense, but this was way back in the days of Mac System 7. She has it on her iPad now, but it doesn't work the same. She still gets monster scores, but it "helps" her, and the strategies are different. She also doesn't play as much, because it is less strategic, as near as I can tell. But anybody can get good at Tetris--with one caveat. I have inferior Te, and when things start going downhill, I tend to get frustrated, and that kills me every time. So, I think that a cool head is needed, and that probably favors all thinking types over feeling types, but probably a slight edge would go to Ti-Fe types over Te-Fi types, and probably perceiving types over judging types. But that is just a wild shot in the dark. ;-)

·
Banned
138 Posts
If you asked me to guess what MBTI type an arcade champion was likely to be, I'd say... ISTP? Other types would be more methodical but less engaged or vice versa.

·
Boaz & Jachin
ESTJ; LSE-Te; 6w5; 631; Sp/Sx; DC; TN
14,734 Posts
I don't agree. I can't stand it very long, I just don't want to think, when I play it. My ISTJ mom really likes it and played it a lot. Tetris definitely preffers thinkers.
That's personal preference not generalized preference, there's a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts