• Ne

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thought had occured to me when I was thinking of animals and cognitive functions. It may just be that each function is on overloaded mode, but say there is one function that seems the most "human" of all of the functions. Please choose.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Developed (!) Fe , the rest are in my opinion automatic responses to senses.
Would also be quite logical, as the world perceives us, having the least of Fe developed as robots.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
I don't understand the question.

Which cognitive functions do human animals use quite well that other animals don't use well or at all?

Intuitive functions--Ne and Ni. Intuition seems a luxury of a comfortable livelihood and excess brain capacity. Something non-human animals don't usually experience. It goes beyond basic survival capability (certainly the most important functions for non-humans) and steps into the realm of fantasy and imagination. Into the realm of unknowns, speculation, intuitive connections. These things seem distinctly human.

Which cognitive function has led to most of our downfalls? Probably Fe and Te.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in technology? Te and Ti.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in research and philosophy? Ti.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in literature and the arts? Fe and Fi.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Which cognitive functions do human animals use quite well that other animals don't use well or at all?

Intuitive functions--Ne and Ni. Intuition seems a luxury of a comfortable livelihood and excess brain capacity. Something non-human animals don't usually experience. It goes beyond basic survival capability (certainly the most important functions for non-humans) and steps into the realm of fantasy and imagination. Into the realm of unknowns, speculation, intuitive connections. These things seem distinctly human.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in technology? Te and Ti.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in research and philosophy? Ti.

Which cognitive functions have led to most of our advances in literature and the arts? Fe and Fi.
So that would be the interpretation of each cognitive function in a human being as nothing more than just being overblown when compared to the way they operate in animals. And no, I'm not denying that humans are animals, just making the distinction.

However, if one were to exist in humans the most that hardly exists in animals, in comparison, which one would that be.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Choose Ti.
That what differs us most from other animals, the thinking.
Feelings are more instinct based, instincts are for animals.

If we compare to computers and AI it's Fi -that's probably the one we are furthest from succeeding to get into an AI. (Fe, as many has choose, would be fairly easy to see the progress when creating an AI and thus making it easier to perfect than it would be with Fi, who would be more difficult to test. And to that, computers are made of networking, logic network sure, but still closer to emotional networking than to emotional values.)
Might be all out there on this one, just live-analyzing/speculating written down.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
What's a human? If I were to say that all humans are "humane", it means that all humans shown compassion and benevolence. However, I wonder if that's truly the case...are all humans benevolent? No, it all falls on what they are supposed to be compassionate towards. If the question was "Which cognitive function is the most humane?", it's definitely Fe. However, the word human altered my choice, and now, I'm confused.

·
Banned
4,124 Posts
If we're talking humans as animals, I'd say the Sensation or extraverted Judging functions.

If we're talking uniquely human, I'd say iNtuition and the introverted Judging functions.

Reactions: Lonewaer

·
Banned
689 Posts

You know...human. With the emotions and such.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Fe is just a judgment towards an object. Animals have that.
"That human over there is agreeable. He puts food in my bowl."

Te is just a directed effort.
"Go get that mouse!"

Ni and Ne are educates guesses and connections.
"Everyday the human comes home when the sun goes down and gives me food. I'm going to sit by the door and wait for that to happen."

Se
"That leaf moved, I must see what's under it."

I'd say Si, Fi and Ti are most human because they are the most related to ego, which animals don't have.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Without giving it much thinking my first response would be 'Fi'. I can't imagine animals establishing their set of inner values and acting according to an individual framework of beliefs and principles.

Fe is more reactive to the environment, therefore I can see animals using quite a significant amount of Fe via expression of basic emotional responses such as rage, fear, perhaps even territorial behaviors.
Si definitely has a role in conditioning responses. An animal learns and makes links to prior experience.
Se is necessary to survive.
Te could explain animals making tools or figuring a sequence to get a reward (think of those crows getting food videos)
Ti could explain primates being able to nominate things...

I'll think more about this.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I think N and F are most human and S and T more animal survival kind of thing. Mostly N is human and S is "animal"

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I would warn that my analysis of humanity would offend people, except that it appears 48% of you agree with me :tongue:

The basic human instinct is to seek strength in numbers, forming tribes and eventually civilizations so that people don't need to depend 100% on their own skill to survive. We fear that we would die without this group loyalty, and so we suppress any new ideas - both in ourselves and in others - that go against the group's established dogma.

Most of the cruelty throughout human history has boiled down to one group thinking "The fact that those people are not part of our group means that we would die if we allow them to live"
:exterminate: (the other group, by the way, other thinking exactly the same thing and feeling that their attackers proved them right).

TLDR: Extraverted Feeling

·
Registered
24,005 Posts
I voted Fi, because I think that without it - as individuals - we would never have desired to continue striving for survival, making a mark and/or wanting to leave behind legacies.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Ne: Humour, curiosity, creativity (somewhat). Much of human ingenuity can be ascribed to this function inasmuch as functions can be held responsive for behaviours in isolation. Every animal has feelings for its own kind but not a lot of them go off on tangents or have curiosity.
Fe: Kindness, Social cues and interactions. Don't need to tell you why this is important.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Te is animal : events happening. Either something happened or it didn't.
Se and Si are animal : reacting to the environment, and learning from past errors and past generations.
Ni can be animal : cats have it. They've been historically anticipating storms, earthquakes, way before us, humans, do. Dogs do the same.
Fe is animal : most social animals use that one. Some of them care for each other, and most of them have social rules.

To me the last three are competing :

Fi is animal and human : basic instincts, to me, are Fi. Animals act and react out of fear or anger for example. But mostly, humans are the only ones who developed personal value systems
Ne to me, is only human : Curiosity exists in the animal world, but animals don't really make intuitive connections.
Ti is human : I don't think animals can reason to the point of seeking the core essence of things.

I couldn't really decide which of the three is the most human.

>inb4 the warmest robots are also the most human. heh.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts