Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think most people get confused with the INFJ and INFP type because of these two functions(Ni and Fi). Since both are based on hunches, one being intuition and the other feeling, it may become sort of difficult to know which came first: the feeling or the intuition. Fi deals with "knowing" what a particular event makes them feel with no objective or outside influence on how this came to be and makes a judgment based on that experience even though it may provide little logical basis. Ni on the other hand is also very subjective but as opposed to Fi, the user of this function may not know where it came from which may make the person a bit insecure as to how they should interpret the information and are determined to put order to it by expressing it with some sort of judgment in their external world.

Do most INFJ's and INFP's know how to judge between the two?

Any comments or criticisms are welcome.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Excellent post. You explained exactly why it can be so difficult for some people who are strong introverted NFs to decide which type applies.

For me, since I score high in J, I never had a problem deciding between INFJ and INFP. Conceptually, however, I can see how someone who is uncertain about that last letter can have troubles now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
This has actually been really hard for me to work out. When I take tests that measure my preferred functions, Fi and Ni are always equally my dominant ones. It seems that it's only because my Ne is stronger than my Fe that I am an INFP. But even after reading your descriptions, I can't make sense of whether I am using Ni or Fi in certain situations.

Could this be a bad thing for me? Because maybe I should be using Ne more than Ni to be most effective at doing things? Thanks for your post by the way.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
I think most people get confused with the INFJ and INFP type because of these two functions(Ni and Fi). Since both are based on hunches, one being intuition and the other feeling, it may become sort of difficult to know which came first: the feeling or the intuition. Fi deals with "knowing" what a particular event makes them feel with no objective or outside influence on how this came to be and makes a judgment based on that experience even though it may provide little logical basis. Ni on the other hand is also very subjective but as opposed to Fi, the user of this function may not know where it came from which may make the person a bit insecure as to how they should interpret the information and are determined to put order to it by expressing it with some sort of judgment in their external world.

I know how to judge between my intuition and my feelings for the most part yes. Why do you think that most people get confused between INFJ's and INFPs BECAUSE of this? What do you mean by hunches? I feel as though that's kind of a loose term that basically implies that you got it without logic.... which.... well.... would include Ni Ne Fi Fe. Fi does deal with "knowing" but that's just because it is a judging function. All judging functions supposedly just "know". It's not just Ni that is mysterious in that sense.... I don't know where a lot of things that Ne comes up with comes from either. It has a mind of it's own really. It's literally .... just like breathing... you just do it.

And determination to put order to Ni by making some sort of judgment.... yes this is how all of perception and judgement is. I think a huge HUUUUGEEE part of human experience is the interplay between perception and judgement. Perception and closure. We all make judgements and we all perceive things.... but it is what KIND of judgement and perceptions you have that compliment other types of judgements and perceptions. My Fi would have little to do without my Ne. My perceptions feed me information so that I can make a judgment on it. If you look at the charts that show all of the types cognitive functions you will see how this actually plays out (I know you probably already have)

Reactions: Alaya

·
MOTM February 2014
4,787 Posts
I don't know about functions much yet, since I'm still learning. But I'm an INFP and one of my oldest (long-term) friends is an INFJ. We're a lot alike, but differences are becoming more obvious the older we get. We come to realize things and how we interpret the world is very different.

To be honest, I think the biggest difference between INFJ and INFP is how they interact with the world: Ne and Fe. That's the most noticable thing between us. Because while I'll help people who ask me for it, he'll look for people who need his help. I "connect the dots" a little faster than he will, too, which is Ne as far as I can tell. He'll refuse to fight and needs a lot of attention (Fe). We're both random, but I'm much more likely to say or ask something rather unrrelated or far-fetched.

But our introverted functions are kind of hard to tell apart, I think. The reason I know I barely have working Ni? I don't see the world like he does. In a way, I ask and analyze more than he does, because if I didn't analyze things then my (personal) Fi is rather pointless. But isn't Ni more unconscious than Fi? He doesn't always know how to explain things because, to him, it all makes sense... there may not even be an explanation for something he knows. Whereas I can't explain things because I don't know how to phrase it, but there is an explanation (though, admittedly, I may have to think and expound upon whatever subject before I'm able to express it).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Yes it's true, Ni and Fi are hard to distinguish because it hard to define exactly what those functions are. Especially Ni, which is usually described as some sort of "seeing into the future" type of function, and that hazy definition really just confuses people more.

By first establishing the similarities between the two functions, it will be easier to distinguish their differences. Both functions focus inwardly meaning, that they rely on a personal storehouse of information as you mentioned already. This makes both functions subjective in that they not rely primarily on any outside experience or observations in the present.

What inevitably differentiates the two functions is how they perceive the world. Ni looks at everything from outside its current context. It is willing to shift and see the exact same situation from different perspectives. In short Ni goes from small to large.
Fi on the other hand is the opposite, it goes from large to small. It takes a situation, and instead of taking a step back it takes a step forward. Fi takes a situation and personalizes it according to the individual's own set of subjective value judgments.

While I mentioned that both looked inwardly and were subjective, Fi is really the one that sees things personally or tries to personalize as best as it can, while Ni is more about looking inside and picking from a storehouse of experiences, and picking which perspective(s) can apply best to a situation. Fi is more about creating from the individual's own personal experiences and criteria, while Ni is just simply picking one or more already pre-conceived notions and applying to the situation.

If you're confused about whether you're an INFP or INFJ a typical guideline is this: INFP's want to experience the world using their own set of emotional and emphatic criteria, while INFJ's want to find the right perspective to the right situation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts