Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I'm thinking of buying a new computer and I'm thinking which one should I take. One with AMD Athlon II P320 cpu and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 video card or one with AMD Athlon II X2 cpu and NVIDIA GT320 video card?

Going to be used for gaming mainly. I really don't know anything about computers. :( Oh, and please don't respond anything like "those both suck, buy this comp which costs 30000$ lololol." I can't afford that kind of shit so...

Oh and by the way: I consider playing games tolerable if the FPS is at least over 20. :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
After looking over the specs for the processors and GPU's, I think you will want to purchase the P320/5650 setup. Though, I'm curious, what frequency does the RAM run at and how many GB's are in each setup?

Unless for some reason you need the mobility that a laptop enables, I suggest you instead go with a desktop for gaming.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Well, the HD 5650 is a better GPU than the GT 320. That being said it is far from amazing.

I am curious about the other specifications. Please do post them :happy:

I also happen to agree with lateralus, a desktop would be much better suited for gaming. I'd buy a nice $700-800 desktop and a cheaper $500 laptop for work. Nonetheless, I understand that you may need the mobility of a laptop and don't want two computers. I also understand that you may not have the disposable income to go with my suggestion. Anyway, please do get back to us with the other specifications (model numbers and manufacturer would be nice).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay here we go:
The laptop (Hp, Pavilion dv7-4006 black cherry):
- 2 core AMD Athlon II P320 cpu 2.1 GHz
- 4 Gb DDR3 (2 x 2048 Mb) DDR3 Memory
- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 with 1Gb of DDR3 memory

Desktop (Acer, Aspire M3400):
- AMD Athlon II X2, 2.9 GHz
- 4Gb DDR3 RAM
- NVIDIA GT320, 1Gb memory

Oh and also, I have to consider the price of the monitor in the desktop, because I need that too, unless I get a laptop. So I can buy 100 euros costlier laptop, than desktop. But I'm curious if the CPU affects much to gaming? Since it looks like the desktop has better one considering the GHz. It's also going to be much easier to upgrade the video card in desktop, than in laptop in the future if I want to get a better one.

Thanks for replies.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Okay here we go:

- 4Gb DDR3 RAM

Oh and also, I have to consider the price of the monitor in the desktop, because I need that too, unless I get a laptop. So I can buy 100 euros costlier laptop, than desktop. But I'm curious if the CPU affects much to gaming? Since it looks like the desktop has better one considering the GHz. It's also going to be much easier to upgrade the video card in desktop, than in laptop in the future if I want to get a better one.

Thanks for replies.
I use Hewlett-Packard computers myself; indeed, the place where I work uses Hewlett-Packard computers and printers as standard equipment.

A few words of advice:
1. Expanding your computer's RAM (when it's doable) is even easier and cheaper than upgrading your video card for a useful upgrade of your computer's overall performance.
2. Desktops usually offer slightly more powerful processors and graphics cards for the same money than their laptop counterparts; a few years ago, I'd have said significantly more powerful.
3. How large a ROM (Read-Only Memory) are you looking for? That will determine how many games, music files, videos/cinematics, and so on you can store on your computer; thus, you should either go for a larger ROM over a smaller one, or pay a little extra for a high-capacity external Hard Disk Drive and the ROM that it carries (often on the order of one terabyte).

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
The desktop.
The specs are unimportant.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you need a gaming computer and are on a budget, desktop computer is the only reasonable way to go.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Okay here we go:

- 4Gb DDR3 RAM

Thanks for replies.
you will get far more performance out of the desktop. not because it has a faster cpu but because laptops have severe cooling issues and run far hotter then desktops and you usually only get about 60% of their potential power out of them unless you purchase one with enough fans and buy a cooling pad.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Would you consider building a PC yourself? It's not very complicated and you could get better parts for your money.

Btw I also have the Athlon II X2 245 in my PC. It's decent for gaming (I did overclock it to 3.5Ghz though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
May I ask what your maximum budget is?

Unless your going to be playing games on the move then the desktop will win in almost all areas.

It may be worth checking out Dell.

However i'd advise looking at a game that you play, or want to play then abide by the recommended system requirements, If you meet them, your winning.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
dell is overpriced for what you get. their computers have good performance but if it ever breaks you will run into a lot of problems in terms of getting it fixed

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my budget was 700€. I managed to raise it a bit, but well I bought a desktop already. :) Not the one I mentioned in this thread though. My friend recommended another pc for me and it looked pretty good. It doesn't really have an amazing graphic card, but it will suit my needs and it's got much better CPU and a blu-ray drive. (this is the thing that really tempted me to buy it. I love watching movies also. :D)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you have any knowledge of building computers for 700€ you could get a very decent machine.. If your interested PM me I could help you spec a machine.

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
dell is overpriced for what you get. their computers have good performance but if it ever breaks you will run into a lot of problems in terms of getting it fixed
You mean calling them?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts