Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the two most common courses in nearly all STEM fields and NTs are prevalent in those fields so I was wondering about how the characteristics of these subjects relate with the preferences of the NT types.

I personally like Linear Algebra more and am better at it than at Calculus. And that seems odd given that I'm a Te-dom so I should be all about application and concrete visualization rather than dry abstractions of Linear Algebra. I thought I was odd until I observed that nearly all the students who loved LA over Calc in my class were TJs or at the very least J types. While the NTPs were more for Calculus.

I recall falling in love with LA in the very first class because we were solving traffic problems and circuits, balancing chemical equations, and tackling economic problems with the fundamental idea of LA (AX=B). At first, it began as a love for the extent of the applications of this subject but soon I began to enjoy even the driest, purely theoretical, parts of it too. At this point, I prefer to think every problem in LA abstractly rather than take my old trusted approach of reducing everything to a concrete example (which I still utilize whenever I have to teach my fellows this subject).

On the other hand, Calculus has been 'concrete' from the beginning. Most of the exercises and topics target real world problems and even when they don't, it's quite easy to imagine a real world case matching the problem. One can argue that this is possible even in LA but the stretch of the imagination there is...quite big.

All in all, Calculus seems more hard and fast. Cutthroat, practical, and just like getting down on the job, which I thought would appeal more to Te-Ni folks. While LA has a more imaginative and brainstormy feel to it, which, goes without saying, is classic Ne-Ti stuff. But reality goes a different way. Let's see what preferences PerC has.

Reactions: Temizzle and Marshy

·
Registered
98 Posts
I prefer Calculus. The logic. To understand "the idea". (Which I'm not sure I'll ever fully understand)
But Algebra is not bad either. When I want to feel successful, I use Algebra.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Disclaimer: I haven't taken/studied Linear Algebra and I don't necessarily plan to because it isn't required for my degree plan

I'm currently wrapping up my calculus 2 class and I have a friend who definitely resides on the Ne-Ti axis. Throughout our time taking math classes together, we've generally had relatively similar grades and levels of understanding. However, as we've progressed further into calculus I've noticed that he is a lot more capable at wrapping his head around the problems, ideas, formulas, what have you; it seems to just make more sense to him.

In my first calculus class (calc 1), everything seemed straightforward to me and I was able to visualize problems very well. However, as time has passed in my current class, the material has gotten more difficult for me to work with and understand on a fundamental basis. For my friend, it seems to be getting easier. While I'm not entirely sure if this disparity is due to the differences between our thinking patterns (it very well could be just the instructor, straight-up difficulty of the course content, or our levels of intelligence perhaps), I feel like it is a possibility.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
When I took Linear I've learned to prove just about everything but nothing about the applied side behind it. It was pure theory (that was the class so not sure what I expected.) When our prof couldn't make it to class, he brought in one of his grad students to do a lecture and he went over a few applied problems that he thought we were deprived of. It was kind of fun to see what we were doing in action. It is way simpler than calculus. Calc 1 was boring. Its mostly the plug and chug, along with calc 2. I found calc 3 decently fun though, but that could be because I liked drawing the cool integrals and pd signs and get distracted by doing so during lecture. From what I've seen in the applied side of linear, it makes me want to take an applied LA class. Linear is more useful the more complex the problem gets ( ie higher dimensional functions) There are problems linear can solve in a few easy steps while someone who only knows calculus will be there for hours trying to go through all the work. The opposite isn't true. Linear simplifies easy stuff arguably just as easily if not easier as calculus does. La is also more practical and useful in the hard sciences than calculus is. I have yet to take an applied LA course though and probably wont bother, but it seems like it would be useful but is mostly there for the engineering students while the LA is for math majors.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I took Linear I've learned to prove just about everything but nothing about the applied side behind it. It was pure theory (that was the class so not sure what I expected.) When our prof couldn't make it to class, he brought in one of his grad students to do a lecture and he went over a few applied problems that he thought we were deprived of. It was kind of fun to see what we were doing in action. It is way simpler than calculus. Calc 1 was boring. Its mostly the plug and chug, along with calc 2. I found calc 3 decently fun though, but that could be because I liked drawing the cool integrals and pd signs and get distracted by doing so during lecture. From what I've seen in the applied side of linear, it makes me want to take an applied LA class. Linear is more useful the more complex the problem gets ( ie higher dimensional functions) There are problems linear can solve in a few easy steps while someone who only knows calculus will be there for hours trying to go through all the work. The opposite isn't true. Linear simplifies easy stuff arguably just as easily if not easier as calculus does. La is also more practical and useful in the hard sciences than calculus is. I have yet to take an applied LA course though and probably wont bother, but it seems like it would be useful but is mostly there for the engineering students while the LA is for math majors.
LA here is all about proofs too. Only the first few classes focused on the practical side and then it went deeper and deeper into the abstract hole. And my love for it proliferated likewise. At times I think I should've been a Math major but there's no Uni known for that subject here so I'd rather not risk anything. I'm just sad that this is the only year we'll be taking LA.

What do you think about the aesthetic appeal of LA against Calc?

Reactions: Marshy

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
LA here is all about proofs too. Only the first few classes focused on the practical side and then it went deeper and deeper into the abstract hole. And my love for it proliferated likewise. At times I think I should've been a Math major but there's no Uni known for that subject here so I'd rather not risk anything. I'm just sad that this is the only year we'll be taking LA.

What do you think about the aesthetic appeal of LA against Calc?
The aesthetic appeal to LA is dull which is why you see calculus on the chalkboards in the movies. Most schools do offer a LA 2 though however it may be locked off from nonmath majors and it probably wouldn't be useful for you. are you taking anymore math courses or is LA the highest you have to go?

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The aesthetic appeal to LA is dull which is why you see calculus on the chalkboards in the movies. Most schools do offer a LA 2 though however it may be locked off from nonmath majors and it probably wouldn't be useful for you. are you taking anymore math courses or is LA the highest you have to go?
lmao I thought it was because Calculus is more popular. LA is more beautiful to me, honestly.

Just checked, my Uni doesn't offer LA2. I'm a Computer Science major anyway so I doubt it'd be useful. Calculus is the only other math class we're taking this semester.

Reactions: Marshy

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
lmao I thought it was because Calculus is more popular. LA is more beautiful to me, honestly.

Just checked, my Uni doesn't offer LA2. I'm a Computer Science major anyway so I doubt it'd be useful. Calculus is the only other math class we're taking this semester.
That probably makes more sense lol and it also makes sense you like its aesthetics more. I share some classes with comp sci majors and from what I hear its more relevant in compsci than calculus is as well. It usually doesnt get interesting until multi calc anyways but I've yet to take real analysis yet so i wouldnt know for sure yet. The rigorous/theoretical part to it could be comparable with the linear you took,which could be why you liked it over calculus (as its essentially any other plug & chug class whereas linear is taught with more complexity and theory in most universities)

·
Registered
636 Posts
I really liked multivariable calc. Single variable was boring. I did not like linear algebra at all but that might of been more because of the professor who was teaching it. I dropped that class quickly so didnt get very far. Been considering studying it on my own once i get some more free time.

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
I preferred my linear algebra courses because the material was based on definitions and proofs, which made it very easy to understand.

I suppose that calculus could be taught that way (rather than or in addition to being taught via graphs/geometry), but I think it would take much longer to get to the basics (limits). I'm not sure, but I think the prerequisite definition-/proof-based analogue for calculus would be much of real analysis—which is an entire course by itself.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
I enjoy both ( enfp here ) but I prefer calculus - I love how the proof builds on everything else and interconnects and can be proven logically*.I also enjoy the fact that there isn't much arithmetic in calculus

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
779 Posts
I like both, so long as its in its pure abstract form. I dont care about its real world applications, I like its internal structure, rules an logic. However i find it very chalenging. Math problems have only one solution, but my Ne seeks different options wich means i make mistakes.
Algebra is like mathematical acrobatics. Im always so impresed when i think how people discovered its rules.
Learning calculs on the other hand, was like learning a new language, basicaly its about slope a familiar concept but a different notation and different nuances about what slope is.

I humbly bow down in apreciation for the purity af abstract mathematics. :halo:

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Out of the math classes that I took in college, my favorite was real analysis, then combinatorics, then prob and stats, then linear algebra, then calculus and diff eq. I don't dislike calculus and diff eq, but the other ones are more fun. It's funny that in real analysis, we'd prove something that seems completely trivial, like 1 > 0. Of course, 1 and 0 are actually the more general concept of multiplicative identity and additive identity respectively.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Linear algebra is necessary for operating your video graphics processor for 3D game engines, graphing programs and the like. The video graphics processor is what we use to surf the Internet. Therefore I like it better since it's more practical.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I love calculus because of how it draws hidden truth out of functions that we had already seen for years and reveals important applications that are otherwise not obvious. Linear algebra is also cool, but it didn't click for me in the same way.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
Linear Algebra I didn't like because halfway through the semester I realized the topic basically teaches you 10 different ways to look at the same few concepts. Felt like retracing steps and extra unnecessary work, though I was decent at it.

Calculus I liked better. Made more sense to me, has concrete outputs.

Even more I enjoyed differential equations -- had the deductive processes to problem-solving.

What I hated was proofs and real analysis. Seems completely pointless and I sucked at it lol. I could appreciate the beauty behind it though -- after this class I understood mathematics is far beyond its time and has always existed. We merely discovered it.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Linear Algebra I didn't like because halfway through the semester I realized the topic basically teaches you 10 different ways to look at the same few concepts. Felt like retracing steps and extra unnecessary work, though I was decent at it.
That's what I loved about it lol. There were just 2 ways of looking at everything (system of equations or transformations) yet that was enough to be confusing for most. All because the applications differed so vastly; it was hard to accept that one tool can solve it all.

Calculus I liked better. Made more sense to me, has concrete outputs.

Even more I enjoyed differential equations -- had the deductive processes to problem-solving.

What I hated was proofs and real analysis. Seems completely pointless and I sucked at it lol. I could appreciate the beauty behind it though -- after this class I understood mathematics is far beyond its time and has always existed. We merely discovered it.
I'm waiting for real analysis and proofs. That's the one aspect of Mathematics I can say I love. If I were really looking for practicality in my Mathematics, I'd take up Stochastics instead. That stuff is actually concrete. Don't wanna get stranded in the middle; I doubt the higher level applications of Calculus are possible without understanding the inner workings (the Ti stuff, in other words). One thing I didn't like about Calculus-I in particular was how much practice was required to get to the know the right substitutions and whatever. That seems like a useless effort to me. If I master the theory, I should be able to do it without the extra work. If work is still required, it only tells me that the theory isn't strong enough and that just rubs me the wrong way.

·
Banned
2,381 Posts
I'm waiting for real analysis and proofs. That's the one aspect of Mathematics I can say I love. If I were really looking for practicality in my Mathematics, I'd take up Stochastics instead. That stuff is actually concrete. Don't wanna get stranded in the middle; I doubt the higher level applications of Calculus are possible without understanding the inner workings (the Ti stuff, in other words). One thing I didn't like about Calculus-I in particular was how much practice was required to get to the know the right substitutions and whatever. That seems like a useless effort to me. If I master the theory, I should be able to do it without the extra work. If work is still required, it only tells me that the theory isn't strong enough and that just rubs me the wrong way.
This is a Ti-Ne line of reasoning.

Ti-Ne wants to have a rock-solid internal foundation to be prepared for whatever the world throws its way so it can adapt at a moments notice.

Te-Ni on the other hand is more interested in learning the shortcut methods on a need-to-know basis to solve the problems it needs to achieve its ends.

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is a Ti-Ne line of reasoning.

Ti-Ne wants to have a rock-solid internal foundation to be prepared for whatever the world throws its way so it can adapt at a moments notice.

Te-Ni on the other hand is more interested in learning the shortcut methods on a need-to-know basis to solve the problems it needs to achieve its ends.
That's the question I've pondered for some time now. Whether I'm an ENTJ or INTJ or ENTP or INTP. Other people's consensus is on INTJ and ENTJ. And I ended up choosing ENTJ because I'm not a sperg. Either way, I've always been more of the mindset of having everything prepared so I can maneuver with the least amount of effort. I'm lazy like that. Prefer not to get into the whole typing mess anymore.

Reactions: Temizzle
1 - 20 of 29 Posts