Votes: 44 19.1%
  • Other

Votes: 26 11.3%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Neither, I prefer video games and visual novels, where I take part in and control the action. Oh, and making music. Not playing, but making.

Reactions: annwosf

·
Registered
3 Posts
Movies. I can't bring myself to get invested in most TV shows, and there's always more likely to be good, insightful commentary on any given movie. On the other hand I find developed character and setting analysis that you get with TV shows to be more interesting than scene or background analysis you get with movies, but it's so hard to get into a show enough to be able to participate in those conversations. - Books or video games can make a good halfway.

·
Registered
ISFP
1,173 Posts
I like movies better. They take lesser time to deliver the same story-plot, and is also capable of exciting more or less the same feeling, at least for me. I don't want to see characters develop as much, I have books and the real world for that. Some TV shows are exception of this rule and I watch them religiously (e.g: GoT excluding season 8)

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
TV shows... mainly for the practical reason that they're easier to knock off in 30 and 60 minute chunks. I rarely (essentially, never) have the time to watch a movie in one sitting. I've been dying to watch the Irishman on Netflix but its 3.5 run time has been an obstacle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't watch a lot of things these days, though whenever I do watch something it's usually anime and I've seen more anime series than I've seen anime movies, so I guess tv shows?

·
Registered
Why do you want to know my vehicle details.
4,926 Posts
Both for different purposes. I prefer watching something in an episodic format on weeknights since watching a movie every night isn't feasible and you'd eventually run out of movies to watch anyway. Then on weekends when there's more time, I'd prefer watching some movies or maybe binge watching something streamed.

So TV shows for casual nightly entertainment, movies at home on the weekends and going out to the movies as an event. That's my preference.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Also, this poll lacks a streaming option. A lot of younger people I know only have a Netflix or Amazon Prime account and don't watch TV or go out to the movies. That should probably be a poll option as well.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
No competition. TV shows. Its a shame that we don't get much high quality shows like Mr Robot and The OA though.
You should consider including international movies too then. There's a lot more to choose from that way. Because otherwise I'd say I completely disagree and movies overall are higher quality than TV on average. Although if you include cable TV, then there are some good quality TV shows to choose from.

Regular TV tends to be trash though. :laughing:

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should consider including international movies too then. There's a lot more to choose from that way. Because otherwise I'd say I completely disagree and movies overall are higher quality than TV on average. Although if you include cable TV, then there are some good quality TV shows to choose from.

Regular TV tends to be trash though. :laughing:
Personally, I prefer a story that takes 50 hours to tell rather than 2 hours. And you're right, there are not many good quality tv shows. But they do exist, and they are amazing!

Speaking of foreign films, have you seen Parasite? That's the best film i've seen in a while!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Personally, I prefer a story that takes 50 hours to tell rather than 2 hours. And you're right, there are not many good quality tv shows. But they do exist, and they are amazing!

Speaking of foreign films, have you seen Parasite? That's the best film i've seen in a while!
Hm, well then can you name an example of a TV show that tells a story better in 50 hours than in say 6-8? (Usual trilogy length) Because the only comparisons that come to mind are Game of Thrones and the LoTR trilogy as both high quality examples of a TV show vs movie series.

Also, no I haven't seen Parasite but I have heard of it. What's it about? Something about like class divisions or something, right?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hm, well then can you name an example of a TV show that tells a story better in 50 hours than in say 6-8? (Usual trilogy length) Because the only comparisons that come to mind are Game of Thrones and the LoTR trilogy as both high quality examples of a TV show vs movie series.

Also, no I haven't seen Parasite but I have heard of it. What's it about? Something about like class divisions or something, right?
Easy, Mr Robot. That's easily the best TV show I've seen. And its better than any movie I've ever watched.

Just curious, are there ANY tv shows that you think are entertaining? I thought GOT was entertaining, but not my favorite by any standard.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Easy, Mr Robot. That's easily the best TV show I've seen. And its better than any movie I've ever watched.

Just curious, are there ANY tv shows that you think are entertaining? I thought GOT was entertaining, but not my favorite by any standard.
Hm, I see.

Also no, I honestly can't stand most TV dramas and fantasies, so other than some documentaries, there's not much on TV I'm interested in currently. So I mostly watch older stuff and try to find new thing internationally.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Movies. I think the art is keeping it compact yet poignant. It's also something to sort of 'theme' one particular night or day with, and much easier to share + discuss with other people.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
@atmh4

Hm, I see.

Also no, I honestly can't stand most TV dramas and fantasies, so other than some documentaries, there's not much on TV I'm interested in currently. So I mostly watch older stuff and try to find new thing internationally.
Wow, what I wrote here seems a lot more negative than how I meant to sound. I'll check out a few episodes or Mr Robot but to be honest, the plot sounds kind of depressing to me. :laughing: I've been meaning to watch Treadstone as that show looks like something up my alley. I missed the first few episodes but I guess I should start catching up.

There aren't a lot of good TV shows or movies coming out these days which is why I've mostly been watching sitcoms, documentaries and older+international movies.

Also, when it comes to drama and fantasy, I tend to wholly to prefer those genres on film as I think it's just done better in a movie using an expositional storytelling format.

·
Registered
INFP 5w4 541 sx/ sp
90 Posts
TV shows, because you get to know the characters better and it's not over so quickly, so you can keep up the excitement.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts