Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of general confusion and overwhelming nature. This is not to say whether or not they dislike the task or like the task, but which feeling type theoretically, finds it hardest, with links back to cognitive functions and why?

·
Banned
374 Posts
Cliché answers.

ESFJ. "I think I'm good at it but I suck at it."
• Dom-Fe wanting to help while reading the situation way too quickly. Savior complex, Fe-ego thinking he's good at consoling and helping others. Resulting in Fe being overbearing and unwanted.
• Aux-Si. When too weak to balance the ESFJ, the ESFJ will project his own experience on the one he's giving advice to. Giving a "I understand you so well" vibe while they actually... don't. When the Si is balanced enough, Si will give the ESFJ the appropriate input to actually help the situation. And the ESFJ become very good at consoling people.
• Ter-Ne. A little too weak to see outside the box and provide solutions.
• Inferior-Ti. Way too weak to understand the whole situation and give actual advice.

Result : Anger the one who wanted to be consoled. Give crappy advice. Get hated. Ends up thinking he's a kind savior - but that people are ungrateful bitches.​

IxFJ. "I want my balance."
• Dom Ni/Si - Focused in their own perceptions/inner world. Usually a little too slow to step in.
• Aux-Fe / Ter-Ti - Wants to keep the right balance between helping people, and staying autonomous/independent. Leads them to usually stay in the back and provide shy consoling/feedbacks.
• Inf Se - Not-so-in touch with the actual situation. A bit scared of the actual situation.
• Inf Ne - A bit scared of the future and the consequences of one's action.

Result : How to keep the right distance and not get involved too much ? They usually give advice/console you anyway, but don't feel too at ease with this.​

xNFJ. "Hit or miss, depends of my mood"
Cuz. Ni.​

IxFP. "I think I suck at it but I'm good at it".
• Dom-Fi. Self-focused and emotion focused. They are very attuned to emotion and the causes of emotion. Because it's self-focused, they usually think they can't help people other than themselves, and they have a tendency to step back instead of stepping in. (Reluctance to go help.)
• If Aux-Ne/Ter-Si. Provide multiple solutions, multiple angle of attacks, and : fun. Give a appropriate reading of the current situation, and can link it to past situation to give appropriate advice.
• If Aux-Se/Ter-Ni. Provide you a immediate read of the situation and provide certain immediate comfort. Advices are either hit or miss.
• Inferior-Te. "I suck at everything I touch huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh..... T_T"

Result : Very good at giving advice and/or consoling people. Even though they usually do it without noticing it - and think they are bad at it.​

ENFP. "I'm already on something else." in between of ESFP and INFP. More confident, gives more practical advices, but doesn't care THAT much. Ne distractions all over the place, fooo.

ESFP. "Consoling... Advice... what ?! Who cares !".
• Dom-Se. "Oh, you're over-thinking thing."Se usually wants immediate feedbacks/results. He gets angry when he doesn't manage to console people.
• Aux-Fi. "Seriously, just do what feels good to you."
Fi usually wants to do the things he likes and not gives a shit. Expect you to do the same. Gets confused at why it's so complicated for you / and why you don't get it.
• Ter-Te. "Seriously, get past it and do something. Wait. You're still sulking ?!"
• Inf-Ni. "What, future complication/implication ? What's that ?"

Result : Wait... I don't get it, it angers me ! Definitely not my thing ! *insert joke to change subject*​

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not sure if you mean a Feeler consoling a Thinker or a Feeler consoling people in general.
The only type I'm very familiar with are NFs so I'll stick to that.

ENFPs are very straightforward, they'll try to understand you and your situation and tell you what they think is best. Sometimes Fi has a hard time being actively empathetic if they can't relate. Add to that Ne-dom and they can get distracted easily and sometimes they look like they don't care. If they relate, you have a better chance of them staying on the subject and getting actual advice. Tertiary-Te makes them very prone to practical advice. But they can come across as pushy or somewhat selfish when they truly relate to the subject because they tend to run your problem through their own past and they'll give you examples of what happened to them and how they solved the problem, and they'll give you advice that they wished someone gave them on this particular subject which is all very Fi. I think it's worth noting that everything they do, they do it in hope that it'll help you.

INFPs will listen to you most of all, and try giving you advice only if you prompt them. They're better at emotional support than advice giving because low-Te makes them uncomfortable with telling you what you should do. The same thing goes than for ENFPs when it comes to Fi but they're quieter in my experience. They can also feel like they're very awkward in those situations when in actually they're doing just fine. They're the friend that'll pat you on the back and wait for you to tell them what you need.

ENFJs will empathize very easily because of Fe-dom. They want people to be happy because it makes them feel good and often spend their lives nurturing people. They don't need to personally understand your situation like Fi to do that because Fe makes them pick on the emotions you're experiencing right now while talking about it. They then use Ni-aux to see your point of view and pick up on your motives. They are the kind of people that'll let you talk through it as long as you can do the same for them when you're done. Because of tertiary-Se, they tend to try to help you in an "immediate way", they try to give you comforting words, they let you vent to them, they hug you or they try to feed you. As for advice giving, they can do it but Se is very focus on the present without it being practical so instead of telling you "you can do A or B to solve your problem" like ENFP's Te, they tell you things like "Relax, take time for yourself, spend time with loved ones, be active, you'll find the answer don't worry too much." etc. They're the people to go for for comfort.

INFJs (here it's from personal experience) they also have Fe but in a lower position than ENFJs so they'll empathize just as easily but tend to get burned out very quickly. They rely on Ni supported by Ti to comfort someone. Ni will listen to someone's problem and feed them different points of view of the situation and emotions involved. "Have you thought of this?" "Have you considered that?" It's usually an attempt to dedramatize the situation by enlightening what the other person might be skipping over. Ni neither give emotional support or practical advice per se, it gives possibilities and then the person has to choose what they want to do with those possibilities. Ti can help narrow down the possibilities and rationalize the emotions involved. "It's normal to feel that way because..." INFJs can be quiet when you're venting to them because they're usually thinking about the bigger picture they sense and how to show it to you. And if there's nothing to show, they'll smile and ask questions so you keep talking and empty your bag because at least it'll make you feel better afterwards which is probably low-Se.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,261 Posts
As mentioned above, FPs tend to feel uncomfortable with giving advice, though I feel like SFPs may a little more forthcoming with it than NFPs. I think NFPs are more comfortable with consoling others though, while I feel like SFPs can get impatient with listening to other's woes even if they are compassionate. FJs tend to be more comfortable with giving advice.

·
Registered
ISTJ
2,438 Posts
That's an easy one: ISFPs.....by a mile.

ISFPs just want to do their own thing and likewise don't really seem to care what others are doing/what's happening in their lives. They have inferior Te so in the off-chance that they do try to give advice....it's probably not the best one to follow, sorry. (I've actually met an ISFP who told me I should sell drugs with him to fix my financial woes :/) I think a lot of them get mistaken as ISTP because of that.

INFPs, though a similar type, have Ne so they may actually enjoy brainstorming and sharing their insights when it comes to problem-solving.

ExFPs have tertiary Te and (usually) great social skills, so they can often act like FJs or TJs at times when it comes to helping people.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I try to console people and it fails miserably so I agree with the above lmao

But I think it works better for me if I've experienced a similar thing so I can tell them how I got through it to see if it would help them, if I haven't experienced the thing then it's hard to imagine just how it would feel I guess. A friend of mine was talking about Eddsworld one day and how its creator influenced her, I can't remember what I said but it didn't work at all. Then one of my idols died quite soon after so now I know how it feels xD

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have a friend who I suspect of being ENFP (probably e7) and I completely agree with the above descriptions. If I vent to her about my problems she empathizes a bit, but tends to jump into "Well, what are you gonna do about it?" mode very quickly. If its something she has struggled with as well though, she is a little more patient.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts