Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone want to test your knowledge of cognitive functions?

Guess the cognitive function, and ask yourself if you use it.

Which function am I?

- I am the only 'information-intake' function that operates outside of the conscious mind
- I am the only function that requires no catalyst outside of you in order to work (although there may be one)
- I perceive reality in a deep (seeing beyond what is immediately visible to what is underneath) and wide (fitting data into a complicated mental 'full picture' rather than zooming in on individual details) way
- I can be inexplicable in how I work
- I always wonder what more there is to the story
- I interpret in relation to the future: taking in current conditions and translating them to future possibilities
- I do not hear just words - I listen intently to the unspoken meaning behind the words
- I analyze life in order to understand how it works ~ life is the puzzle and perceptions are puzzle pieces that fit in somewhere, and where they fit must be discovered
- I am the source of your sixth sense (gut feelings, hunches, spiritual impressions, intuition in every sense)
- I stay mentally zoomed out to the big picture: I don't view information in isolation - everything is connected as a part of a pattern or overall reality...

(this information is taken from a manual about cognitive functions, but i put it in my own words)

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Nox ~~ i won't reveal the cognitive function until the end. but your signature quote -which i love - is also evidence of it. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
"We demand a shrubbery!"
"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land, nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history."

:ninja:

·
Registered
970 Posts
Anyone want to test your knowledge of cognitive functions?

Guess the cognitive function, and ask yourself if you use it.

Which function am I?

- I am the only 'information-intake' function that operates outside of the conscious mind
- I am the only function that requires no catalyst outside of you in order to work (although there may be one)
- I perceive reality in a deep (seeing beyond what is immediately visible to what is underneath) and wide (fitting data into a complicated mental 'full picture' rather than zooming in on individual details) way
- I can be inexplicable in how I work
- I always wonder what more there is to the story
- I interpret in relation to the future: taking in current conditions and translating them to future possibilities
- I do not hear just words - I listen intently to the unspoken meaning behind the words
- I analyze life in order to understand how it works ~ life is the puzzle and perceptions are puzzle pieces that fit in somewhere, and where they fit must be discovered
- I am the source of your sixth sense (gut feelings, hunches, spiritual impressions, intuition in every sense)
- I stay mentally zoomed out to the big picture: I don't view information in isolation - everything is connected as a part of a pattern or overall reality...

(this information is taken from a manual about cognitive functions, but i put it in my own words)
Ni.
Hands down.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Ni.
Hands down.
I second that!!

Ok my turn!!!

- Is fed from subjective and unconscious roots - archetypes
- Goal is to formulate questions, create theories, open up prospects, yield insight, and finally, to see how external facts fit into the framework of the idea or theory it has created.
- Danger lies in tendency to neglect facts or to coerce them into agreement with the idea
-Seizes upon the similarities of the concrete, dismissing irrelevances

Reactions: emerald sea

·
Registered
970 Posts
I second that!!

Ok my turn!!!

- Is fed from subjective and unconscious roots - archetypes
- Goal is to formulate questions, create theories, open up prospects, yield insight, and finally, to see how external facts fit into the framework of the idea or theory it has created.
- Danger lies in tendency to neglect facts or to coerce them into agreement with the idea
-Seizes upon the similarities of the concrete, dismissing irrelevances
Hmn. Sounds like a perceiving function.
I'm gonna go with Ne.

Here's mine!

- Gains security through conformity and ritual.
- Judges current issues against past experience.
- Helps with abstract thought such as Math.
- Organises things to a personalised mental filing cabinet.

·
MOTM July 2012
8,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmn. Sounds like a perceiving function.
I'm gonna go with Ne.

Here's mine!

- Gains security through conformity and ritual.
- Judges current issues against past experience.
- Helps with abstract thought such as Math.
- Organises things to a personalised mental filing cabinet.
are you talking about Si?

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Ok here is one (as quoted word for word out of "Gifts Differeing" by Isabel Briggs Myers:

- Goal is solution of practical problems, discovery, and classification of facts, criticism and modification of generally accepted ideas, planning of programs and developing of formulas.
- Consists of a succession of concrete representations which are set in motion by the changing stream of sense perceptions.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Ooh, can I join?

Are you thinking of Ti?

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Ooh, can I join?

Are you thinking of Ti?
Try again.

Hint: "At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively."

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Try again.

Hint: "At its most sophisticated, this process is about organizing and monitoring people and things to work efficiently and productively."
Te, then. The part about criticizing generally accepted ideas threw me.

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
Ok your turn. Define one ;-)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Oh lord. Okay, here goes nothing.

- I follow instincts and don't think of their consequences
- I am able to find satisfaction in the beauty of the real world
- I exist in only one time frame, the others are none of my concern
- I could spot the needle in the haystack

·
Referral Princess
1,386 Posts
- I follow instincts and don't think of their consequences
- I am able to find satisfaction in the beauty of the real world
- I exist in only one time frame, the others are none of my concern
- I could spot the needle in the haystack
Se? The whole existing in one time frame really makes me think that....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts