Personality Cafe banner

INFJ's: With which function do you struggle the most?

• Ni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Si

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Ne

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Se

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Fi

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Fe

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Ti

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Te

Votes: 14 41.2%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Poll restrictions: This poll is restricted to INFJ’s only. You may discuss in the thread itself regardless of type.

With which function do you struggle the most?
As an INFJ, I find myself often struggling with Si and Se. I cringe when it comes to memorization and taking concrete information at face value without taking an intuitive leap into it. I usually looked focused and very aware of my surrounding, what most people don’t know is that my mind is beyond space and time; my consciousness is somewhere abstract that cannot be put into words.
I also have problems with pure logic(Ti), for example, seeing the logical implications of a proposition. I’m being aware of this fact because I’m taking epistemology and I’m totally confused by it. I will grasp the main concepts, but I will be perplexed by how they determine knowledge. I can’t seem to be capable connecting and how A leads to B to C to D up to Z. I skip from A to Z and the professor would call on my logic for making hasty generalizations and saying “you don’t know THAT”.

My function competencies would be the following: Ni>Fe=Te>Ne>Fi=Ti>Se>Si

Reactions: GreenCoyote

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I'm fine with Si. I've used it to try to remember sensor-type stuff, but the problem is when I haven't done something before. Usually, I feel a bit nervous about things, if I have no prior experience.

Se is what I struggle with the most. My mind seems to wander too much during times when I really should concentrate on the here and now, but I'm always thinking about "more important" things...like saving the world, for example. :wink:

I probably use Ti a little bit less than many of the people on this forum, but I don't struggle with it. I just have it stored away sometimes. Most of the time, I just want to have fun and enjoy myself, but sometimes I can be very serious, and in these situations Ti comes back.

·
Registered
836 Posts
For reference our functions are:

Dominant: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths.

Auxiliary: Extraverted feeling (Fe)
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.

Tertiary: Introverted thinking (Ti)
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. Ti notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Inferior: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.

Other functions:

Extraverted intuition (Ne): Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using hypothetical questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.

Introverted feeling (Fi): Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Extraverted thinking (Te): Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.

Introverted sensing (Si): Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.

***Everyone uses all of the functions, but in an order of preference. Preferred functions are at the top of the list.***

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I'm fine with Si. I've used it to try to remember sensor-type stuff, but the problem is when I haven't done something before. Usually, I feel a bit nervous about things, if I have no prior experience.

Se is what I struggle with the most. My mind seems to wander too much during times when I really should concentrate on the here and now, but I'm always thinking about "more important" things...like saving the world, for example. :wink:

I probably use Ti a little bit less than many of the people on this forum, but I don't struggle with it. I just have it stored away sometimes. Most of the time, I just want to have fun and enjoy myself, but sometimes I can be very serious, and in these situations Ti comes back.
This reminds me of when I bought a bus ticket, day return, and when it came to going home I couldn't find the ticket! I was sure I had put it in the front pocket of my bag but it wasn't there. Eventually I found it in my wallet. I'm always doing stuff like that. My body automatically does things whilst my mind is elsewhere!

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
This reminds me of when I bought a bus ticket, day return, and when it came to going home I couldn't find the ticket! I was sure I had put it in the front pocket of my bag but it wasn't there. Eventually I found it in my wallet. I'm always doing stuff like that. My body automatically does things whilst my mind is elsewhere!
Story of my life.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I don't understand Si. It's like a foreign language to me. I tend to butt heads with ISFJ's because of this. They don't understand my points, and I don't understand why they don't understand what I am trying to say. It's a nightmare.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
when someone asks me a question about some kind of simple past thing I should be able to remember...

oh... yeah. ok I got it now.

it really does take me that long. I have to finish my thought or dream or whatever and it pops into my head...
it's weird cause I know I am being asked the question but my recal for factual things that my ESFJ mother constatly asks me about is so utterly poor.

I would say that my Se is pretty good I think... I mean... isn't that just experiencing the outer world?
but Si is more like memory right?

I dunno. I guess I get stuck in my daydreams a lot and outside influences just fly past me.
I am usually brought back into reality though as I tend to laugh out loud about my imagination and instantly remember I am not alone and to keep a lid on it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
My Te and Si are considerably weaker than other types.

Te is clearly weak... it's not like I don't have it, but it takes longer than it should to do sometimes basic logic questions - things like, 'can i go to lunch now if two of my co-workers are also going to lunch now?' or 'do i need to do x before i can accomplish y?'

Si, I want to say is kind of non-existant. I don't have much long term memory. I have great short-term, and back to maybe as far as a year. But after that, I completely forget. And it's a different way of looking at the world in general. My Se in contrast is pretty darn wonderful. So if we could just stick to an assessment of the present state of things...

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
Se and Te here

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't like Ne. It's to messy for me... :happy:

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Si definitely. This is why I have trouble with my relationships with ESFJs and ISFJs a lot of times.

People think I APPEAR SJ, but the truth is I'm a scatterbrained mess so I have to put myself into a routine (probably more Te) in order to not lose everything.

Here's a sure sign of how much I DON'T use Si.... forgetting where I parked in the parking lot. I always try to park in the same spot at places if its a big lot, but the day I don't is the day I completely forget.... its really tough at a mall and I forgot which door I even parked by. :blushed:

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm surprised to find that I've done much better with Si and Fi. And I was surprised to understand how much I used and enjoy Se too!

But I struggle with Te and Ne, and I don't know why.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I would say that my Se is pretty good I think... I mean... isn't that just experiencing the outer world?
but Si is more like memory right?
Se isn't just experiencing the outer world, it's about experiencing it and enjoying it at detailed surface level, without doing any kind of interpreting at all. Which is why INFJS usually have such a tough time using it because we are immediately inclined to view the outer world through the lens of Ni, and ascribe meanings and motivations to things.

Si is like Ni but grounded more in reality and sensate things than abstract theory. So when you view an object or situation it will immediately remind you of a past object or situation and that will make you ascribe meaning and purpose to it. As a random e.g. I will look at a lock on a bathroom door and it will remind me of the time when I was a kid and I had to rescue these younger kids that had locked themselves in a toilet cubicle because the lock was too stiff for them to move, and this perhaps will lead me to shift the lock back and forth while the door is open to make sure it is working properly, before I enter the cubicle and lock it.

My Si is far superior than it should be for an INFJ and this has confused me terribly :crazy: I have such an excellent long-term memory, though a crappy short-term memory. I constantly amaze people with the details of my memories, from what was said to how they said it, who ate what where and on what occasion and whether they enjoyed it.

As for my answer to the poll...my Te is weakest and it irritates me. When in discussions with friends I often have to use the disclaimer "I'm sorry, but you know I don't do logic well". Se is second weakest, but is something I absolutely love when I find that I am using it. I want to develop it more.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Here's a sure sign of how much I DON'T use Si.... forgetting where I parked in the parking lot. I always try to park in the same spot at places if its a big lot, but the day I don't is the day I completely forget.... its really tough at a mall and I forgot which door I even parked by. :blushed:
I do the exact same thing! I usually tell myself right after I park "Okay, I parked right here, in front of Buffalo Wild Wings (or whatever)" but then an hour later when I come out I completely forget where I parked. Major embarrassment.:crazy:

When I was younger, I probably would have said Ti or Se, but as I've gotten older, I've understood Ti a lot more. Se still does not compute normally, but sometimes I engage in it and enjoy it, like driving on the freeway. It really tires me out quickly though.

Other than that, Te really sucks for me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like to think of Se as just living in the moment and doing. Like... this is a cold glass of beer. I like beer. Let's drink beer.

Si is drinking beer and then telling a story about how everyone used to get together back in college and do the same thing. Or drinking the same brand of beer every weekend.

I think I've become really good at Se, trying to live in the moment. Basically it's a life coping skill... Cutting off the Ni crazy ability to tie everything together. Se crudely means - see a shiny object, follow it. Attract attention to yourself. Follow what grabs other people's attention.

Se lets you be spontaneous, and let go of judgemental thinking. It's actually a pretty nice quality if you can detach enough to use it.

It's kind of nice sometimes not to analyze everything to death.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Se lets you be spontaneous, and let go of judgemental thinking. It's actually a pretty nice quality if you can detach enough to use it.

It's kind of nice sometimes not to analyze everything to death.
Amen to that sister!

·
Banned
3,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For reference our functions are:

Dominant: Introverted intuition (Ni)
Attracted to symbolic actions or devices, Ni synthesizes seeming paradoxes to create the previously unimagined. These realizations come with a certainty that demands action to fulfill a new vision of the future, solutions that may include complex systems or universal truths.

Auxiliary: Extraverted feeling (Fe)
Fe seeks social connections and creates harmonious interactions through polite, considerate, and appropriate behavior. Fe responds to the explicit (and implicit) wants of others, and may even create an internal conflict between the subject’s own needs and the desire to meet the needs of others.

Tertiary: Introverted thinking (Ti)
Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. Ti notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Inferior: Extraverted sensing (Se)
Se focuses on the experiences and sensations of the immediate, physical world. With an acute awareness of the present surroundings, it brings relevant facts and details to the forefront and may lead to spontaneous action.

Other functions:

Extraverted intuition (Ne): Ne finds and interprets hidden meanings, using hypothetical questions to explore alternatives, allowing multiple possibilities to coexist. This imaginative play weaves together insights and experiences from various sources to form a new whole, which can then become a catalyst to action.

Introverted feeling (Fi): Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Extraverted thinking (Te): Te organizes and schedules ideas and the environment to ensure the efficient, productive pursuit of objectives. Te seeks logical explanations for actions, events, and conclusions, looking for faulty reasoning and lapses in sequence.

Introverted sensing (Si): Si collects data in the present moment and compares it with past experiences, a process that sometimes evokes the feelings associated with memory, as if the subject were reliving it. Seeking to protect what is familiar, Si draws upon history to form goals and expectations about what will happen in the future.

***Everyone uses all of the functions, but in an order of preference. Preferred functions are at the top of the list.***
Thank you Sarah, I should've taken into consideration that not many people know about the functions.

Se isn't just experiencing the outer world, it's about experiencing it and enjoying it at detailed surface level, without doing any kind of interpreting at all. Which is why INFJS usually have such a tough time using it because we are immediately inclined to view the outer world through the lens of Ni, and ascribe meanings and motivations to things.

Si is like Ni but grounded more in reality and sensate things than abstract theory. So when you view an object or situation it will immediately remind you of a past object or situation and that will make you ascribe meaning and purpose to it. As a random e.g. I will look at a lock on a bathroom door and it will remind me of the time when I was a kid and I had to rescue these younger kids that had locked themselves in a toilet cubicle because the lock was too stiff for them to move, and this perhaps will lead me to shift the lock back and forth while the door is open to make sure it is working properly, before I enter the cubicle and lock it.

My Si is far superior than it should be for an INFJ and this has confused me terribly :crazy: I have such an excellent long-term memory, though a crappy short-term memory. I constantly amaze people with the details of my memories, from what was said to how they said it, who ate what where and on what occasion and whether they enjoyed it.

As for my answer to the poll...my Te is weakest and it irritates me. When in discussions with friends I often have to use the disclaimer "I'm sorry, but you know I don't do logic well". Se is second weakest, but is something I absolutely love when I find that I am using it. I want to develop it more.
I liked very much your description of Si. You seem very knowledgeable in cognitive functions.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts

This is true for me as well. My long-term memory is fantastic. I can remember preschool for crying out loud!

Detail-wise, I guess this wouldn't be Si because "time" is an abstract concept, but I can remember anniverseries and birthdays better than anyone I've ever known, and I remember the theatrical release years of movies- a topic of interest.

My short-term memory is piece of junk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts