Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe introspection would be the domain of the introverted functions. After all, they deal with a person's "inner world" so to speak. But is one more "introspective" than the others? Or do we use all of the introverted functions in introspection, with the ones in our main type leading the way? If the latter is the case, how would people with different introverted functions in their type experience introspection? Going further, would people with an introverted function as their dominant function have a tendency to be more introspective?

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
I believe introspection would be the domain of the introverted functions. After all, they deal with a person's "inner world" so to speak. But is one more "introspective" than the others?
I think that Fi and Ti may technically be more 'introspective'(by themselves, atleast) than Si and Ni since they have more to do directly with ideas and opinions while Si and Ni are perception functions.

Or do we use all of the introverted functions in introspection, with the ones in our main type leading the way? If the latter is the case, how would people with different introverted functions in their type experience introspection?
I can say that my introspection is very Ti-ish in that I tend to analyze things that have happened in my day or I analyze my thoughts and ideas and the such.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Introspection is heavily associated with Fi. Not to say that only Fi-ers introspect, of course.

Introspect definition: to consider one's own internal state or feelings.
Introspection definition: observation or examination of one's own mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking within oneself.

As you can see, there is a connotation of emotion & feelings being involved, although considering your mental world in general can be introspection.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
I don't think introverted functions make us more introspective. They are too subjective. I think extroverted functions give us the ability to look deeper within ourselves. I know that Ne allows me see myself more objectively, weighing myself and others equally. This allows for a lot of honesty while looking inward. I'm taking in information while seeing myself from the outside. I can observe my feelings rather than get caught up in them. This allows me to examine myself with a fine tooth comb.

Reactions: NinjaSwan

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Introspective (def: Introspection is the self-observation and reporting of conscious inner thoughts, desires and sensations. It is a conscious mental and usually purposive process relying on thinking, reasoning, and examining one's own thoughts, feelings, and, in more spiritual cases, one's soul. It can also be called contemplation of one's self, and is contrasted with extrospection, the observation of things external to one's self. Introspection may be used synonymously with and in a similar way to self-reflection.)

That would be Ji; Fi and Ti.

The opposite of Extrospective, which would be Je, Fe and Te.

·
MOTM June 2010
2,507 Posts
Introspection is heavily associated with Fi. Not to say that only Fi-ers introspect, of course.

Introspection definition: observation or examination of one's own mental and emotional state, mental processes, etc.; the act of looking within oneself.

As you can see, there is a connotation of emotion & feelings being involved, although considering your mental world in general can be introspection.
Except type is about cognition, not emotion. For some reason I am seeing this assertion that feeling=emotion being raised again. I am unsure where the notion is coming from, but we all have emotions and it has nothing to do with the function-attitude we most prefer.

All introverting types will be introspective since again it has to do with going inside the self. The different functions may become introspective about certain things that parallel the most differentiated function-attitude (i.e, Fi=values and intonations, Ti=principles of something and analyzing, Si=considering the past, and images and impressions and Ni=considering the future, and images and impressions), but they are all introspective. It's only my thought, but the degree someone will be introspective will be based on their preference for introverting in general. The more you prefer to introvert, the more you will be introspective since you will alternate between your dominant and tertiary functions, not allowing the auxiliary or fourth function very much room to play.

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Except type is about cognition, not emotion. For some reason I am seeing this assertion that feeling=emotion being raised again. I am unsure where the notion is coming from, but we all have emotions and it has nothing to do with the function-attitude we most prefer.

All introverting types will be introspective since again it has to do with going inside the self. The different functions may become introspective about certain things that parallel the most differentiated function-attitude (i.e, Fi=values and intonations, Ti=principles of something and analyzing, Si=considering the past, and images and impressions and Ni=considering the future, and images and impressions), but they are all introspective. It's only my thought, but the degree someone will be introspective will be based on their preference for introverting in general. The more you prefer to introvert, the more you will be introspective since you will alternate between your dominant and tertiary functions, not allowing the auxiliary or fourth function very much room to play.
I said feeling and emotions, distinguishing the two from each other, but also noting that introspection is associated with both. I'm the last person to be equating feeling with emotion. Of course everyone has emotions, but Feeling utilizes them as signifiers of importance.

From an interesting neuroscience blog (the bloggers commentary on an article, which makes sense to me):

...the function of emotion is to assign value and salience to stimuli and responses -- in essence, to guide cognition by incorporating goals and reward.
Value & salience is in the realm of Feeling to judge, so arguably, Feeling types are more intune with their emotions and what they mean. That doesn't mean they make decisions based solely on emotions, but they may be criteria that is considered, as they prove useful.

Reactions: Angelic Gardevoir

·
Banned
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You know, I was going to speculate that Fi would be the most introspective when I first thought of this topic, but then I started looking at things the way Functianalyst did. :tongue:

And I think Paranoid Android and InvisibleJim may have a point too. Perhaps Si and Ni are a little too detached to the self since they are perceiving functions. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think both deal with how things "should be." With Si, things should be the way they have been in the past. With Ni, things should go in an entirely different direction. Then again, Si could be a bit of a self-corrector while Ni could lead to an epiphany about the self. They could be "introspective" in that sense. *shrugs* I'm just throwing ideas around.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Both Ni and Fi seem extremely introspective. Ni's exploration of the internal possibilities and connections seems to fuel the most introspection.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Intropect is to look directly inside into the essence that makes the self; therefore by its denotation I would say Fi. Ni concentrates on cause and effects, Ti on systems and Si on tradition and past experiences.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I wouldn't say one is more introspective than the other - they are introspective in different ways.

Most people will see Ni and Ti as the 'most introspective' (most detached?) as to use them you need to detach from the present literal external stimuli (Se) and social dynamics of the external world (Fe) respectively.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts

This, essentially. One's introspecting powers vary by person, rather than function. Just because ideas aren't shared doesn't always mean the void was not reached into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts