Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What good books / movies have you read / seen lately?

Yet another attempt at finding new things to read and watch... There are many lists of favourite books and movies, but it seems INTPs have quite a homogenous taste so all the lists are essentially the same and relatively short. I've seen many good movies and read some good books this year, but I've already forgotten most of the titles because they didn't fall into the "best of all time" category. Not everything can be spectacular, so please share anything you enjoyed more than average.

Movies:
Coherence (2013)
A Late Quartet (2012)
All the President's Men (1976)
Three Days of The Condor (1975)
The Graduate (1967)
Birdman of Alcatraz (1962)
Network (1976)
The Spanish Apartment (2002)

Books:
Who Do You Think You Are? - Alice Munro
The Voyage Out - Virginia Woolf
The Years - Virginia Woolf
Falling Man - Don DeLillo
Measuring the World - Daniel Kehlmann

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Books:
American Psycho
A Feast for Crows (A song of Ice and Fire series)

Film:
Paprika (Animated stand alone Japanese movie)
Age of Ultron (Avengers 2)
Snatch (Similar to "Pulp Fiction" and "Lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels")
Lord of the Rings Trilogy Extended Edition/Director's Cut (Had a 12 hour marathon with an INFP friend)
Green Lantern: First Flight (Stand alone Green Lantern movie)
Justice League: Doom (Stand alone JLA movie)
Justice League: Throne of Atlantis (This is a sequel to Justice League: War)

TV-series/Anime:
Code Geass
Batman the Animated series (season 1 and 2, gonna start with 3 and 4 soon)
Sword Art online (Only the first 14 episodes since the series turned into shit after that)
Doctor Who Series 1 (2005 with the 9th Doctor)
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (2014 series, second season currently running)
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (season 2)

·
Registered
177 Posts
what kind of books are you looking for? fiction?

as for films...ive seen lots of great films over the past few years, but before i list any, are you ok with international, artsy or slow films?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what kind of books are you looking for? fiction?
Fiction mostly, but also good books about art, philosophy, environmental issues and biology. Though I didn't think this thread would serve only my own purposes, so you can list anything if you want.

as for films...ive seen lots of great films over the past few years, but before i list any, are you ok with international, artsy or slow films?
Yes definitely, I'm not that into mainstream movies.

·
Banned
294 Posts
Three Days of The Condor (1975)
I liked this movie a lot. Robert Redford did another good movie called The Last Castle.

So what have I consumed recently?

Midnight in paris, is a cute movie.

I liked Birdman too.

Both movies are good for creative types.

The book I'm reading now is called Bounce by Mathew Syed.

Matthew Syed reveals the hidden clues to success—in sports, business, school, and just about anything else that you’d want to be great at. Fans of Predictably Irrational and Malcolm Gladwell’s The Tipping Point will find many interesting and helpful insights in Bounce.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I love reading or watching documentaries about scientific topics such as quantum theory, things having to do with the universe, or the possibility of the multiverse, holographic universe, string theory, etc. Brian Greene is one of my favorite physicists. I've also been listening to podcast from Dr Steven greere, and even though much of his stuff might seem real crazy (contacting ufos) it's super interesting and can't bring myself to dismiss it as impossible.

two of my favorite reality series are Life Below Zero and Mountain Men. Sue Aiken is awesome...I think she might be INTP.

I love fiction and especially stories of survival or deep personal growth. A few favorite are the hunger game series, island of the blue dolphins, Juniper, Julie of the Wolves, White Fang. Right now I'm reading a book about Chief Joseph of the nez perce tribe called Thunder Rolling in the Mountains.

·
Banned
294 Posts

·
Banned
7,396 Posts
It's been quite a few months, but probably Solaris, the novel. Though I wouldn't recommend that to most people because it's honestly very dry and reads like a geography textbook in the beginning. It's a science fiction that I think was written in like the 1970s, around the theme of anthropocentrism and the impossibility of understanding any consciousness that is fundamentally different from the observer.

True Names was a really refreshing short sci-fi, just hard to understand... all the characters were essentially sentient programs in a computer-theme type of universe. Integrated some really obscure ideas/texts into the story, which was appreciated.

I keep rereading A Maze of Death too, so twisty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ok...off the top of my head...

books (fiction):

-the sailor who fell from grace with the sea by Yukio mishima
-the confusions of young torless by Robert musil
-remembrance of things past by Marcel proust
-the loser by Thomas Bernhard
-the melancholy of resistance by lászló krasznahorkai

Films:

-the human condition(1959)
-lost, lost, lost(1976)
-persona(1966)
-sansho the bailiff(1954)
-marketa lazarova(1967)
-tokyo.sora(2002)
-the color of pomegranates(1969)
-the man who sleeps(1974)

You can find more film recommendations by me and others on this and this thread

·
Registered
175 Posts
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

A lot of the characters annoy me, including the main protagonist, and I hate the whole relationship/love story infused in it (I think I'd have liked the book a lot more without the love story), but I like it as a whole. So I'm giving at a go. I just recently started reading the second book.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...off the top of my head...

books (fiction):

-the sailor who fell from grace with the sea by Yukio mishima
-the confusions of young torless by Robert musil
-remembrance of things past by Marcel proust
-the loser by Thomas Bernhard
-the melancholy of resistance by lászló krasznahorkai

Films:

-the human condition(1959)
-lost, lost, lost(1976)
-persona(1966)
-sansho the bailiff(1954)
-marketa lazarova(1967)
-tokyo.sora(2002)
-the color of pomegranates(1969)
-the man who sleeps(1974)

You can find more film recommendations by me and others on this and this thread
Thank you. I already have Persona on my computer, but I'll see if I can find the rest. Those threads seem good too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Coherence (2013) I haven't seen...
But if you like time travel movies, Primer (2004) is complex and great (but I really recommend reading the 50+ articles this blog The Primer Universe to understand the tiny details you might have missed in your original viewing). :rolleyes:
A bit nerdy though.

"Memento", "The Prestige" - both great Nolan movies ("Interstellar" was good too, if you haven't seen it).
"Moon" (2009) is also very good ("Source code" same director, was OK).

Guillermo Del Toro also ("Pan's Labyrinth", "The Orphanage", etc.).

The Spanish Apartment (2002)... You might want to watch "Amélie", "Léon The professional" (although Léon is not the same at all, it's still very good).

"Old Boy" (2003) also if you like Asian cinema.

I haven't seen or read anything impressive recently to be honest, so mostly old stuff. "Ex-Machina" (2015) was decent though (a movie about AI). I didn't have much time either, so I might have missed on some good stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
From movies I'd recommend:
* Black Swan (2010) - Aronofsky's masterpiece, perfect Natalie's acting. For now it's my number one
* Stoker (2013) - I wish I could watch it for the first time again. Great pictures and mysterious climate
* Chef (2014) - it's a pleasant comedy with nice soundtrack. I enjoyed it recently. I'm sure you will finish watching feeling optimistic and veeery hungry :)

About books:
* Tess Gerritsen: all series Rizzoli/Isles (the first tome is Surgeon) - medical thrillers, really worth reading. The plot draws in. The author was a doctor, so you get a lot of med tidbits from the first hand
* Jeffrey Eugenides The Marriage Plot - I adore the language it's written (well, I read the polish translation, but I guess other translations are good as well)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts