Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this on another thread but I feel like it merits its own discussion.

This is based on a combination of their members, their lyrics, their sound, and overall "attitude." I probably gave this too much thought. Still can't figure out where to place Metallica (though I'm guessing ESTJ).

ENFJ: Pantera (Very big on the Fe)
ENFP: Van Halen
ENTJ: Iron Maiden
ENTP: Mayhem
ESFJ: Dio
ESFP: Guns N' Roses
ESTJ: Led Zeppelin (Lots of Te in later albums; very business-minded as a band)
ESTP: Motörhead
INFJ: Rage Against the Machine
INFP: Black Sabbath
INTJ: Bathory
INTP: Deep Purple (although I'm fairly convinced Ritchie Blackmore himself is INTJ)
ISFJ: Judas Priest
ISFP: Alice in Chains
ISTJ: Death (lots of Si, very technical, very structured)
ISTP: Slayer (Ti-heavy lyrics)

I had earlier placed Megadeth in the ISTJ camp but I'm now pretty sure they're INTJ or INFJ.
Varg Vikernes of Burzum is an INTJ, but Burzum's lyrics are very vague, so it's hard for me to type them as a musical "entity."

So, which band are you?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Adding my own list to this as well from the same thread, this way we have some variants here.

--------

My form of this list for metalheads, also going to give songs on top of just artists. Or at least make an attempt at it. I can always edit in more later on. It is much easier for me to do this in regards to types that I know people of IRL.

INTP Tool - Rosetta Stoned ::: Dream Theater - Octavarium

ENTP Iron Maiden - The Alchemist :::

ISTP Metallica - Don't Tread On Me ::: Napalm Death ::: Arch Enemy

ESTP Dethklok - Face Fisted [Good friends with an ESTP (Did an official exam) who starts physical fights just for fun, and can be vengeful at the same time. The song definitely suits that] ::: Arch Enemy - Nemesis ::: Mayhem

INTJ Iced Earth - Domino Decree (chose this on the fact I am familiar with the story behind the crucible of man/seti concept albums and the grand plan for humanity's destruction is reminiscent of an INTJ/ENTJ pipe dream XD ) ::: Arcturus - Demon Painter

ENTJ See INTJ Entry ::: Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight (Adding an iron Maiden Entry here at @Korpasov suggestion

ISTJ Dark Tranquility - The Fatalist ::: Meshuggah (from a musical standpoint, the rigid adherence/observation they have for song structure fits rather well)

ESTJ Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Thanks to @Korpasov for listing Iron Maiden for ESTJ, fits rather well)

INFP Epica - White Waters (the band is a metal band, this song isnt, but it can definitely fit) ::: Black Sabbath (Thanks to @Korpasov as well, I think their foundations for Doom Metal contributed to me adding this here the most) ::: Swallow The Sun - Deadly Nightshade

ENFP

ISFP Bullet for my Valentine - Tears Don't Fall (The few I do know bottle up their emotions to hell)

ESFP In Flames - Come Clarity ::: Guns n' Roses - Paradise City (yeah, playing on stereotypes for the win)

INFJ Epica - Burn to a Cinder ::: TOOL - Schism

ENFJ The Agonist - Thank You, Pain

ISFJ

ESFJ

------

as for stuff i personally say for myself as an ISTP (may not suit other ISTPs though, since I am known to sometimes think I am an INTx or ISTJ somtimes, things balance out way too much for me from a function standpoint (other than the T/F axis), I do agree with slayer being on your list. You can throw in Animals As Leaders and Periphery as well. Iron Maiden fits sometimes, likewise for much in the way of Melodic Death Metal.

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ESTJ Iron Maiden - Rime of the Ancient Mariner (Thanks to @Korpasov for listing Iron Maiden for ESTJ, fits rather well)
@DemonAbyss10
I moved them to ENTJ, largely because they don't really talk about what "is" very much (although that song is an exception) - they talk about what "could be."

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
@DemonAbyss10
I moved them to ENTJ, largely because they don't really talk about what "is" very much (although that song is an exception) - they talk about what "could be."
Varies upon album. Alot of their stuff yeah, fits the could be formula very much, but same for the other as well. Other about what 'is' stuff that comes to mind, much of the powerslave album follows suit, I think they started looking at could be more often when Dickenson was on Hiatus. Iron maiden is a big example why I do my list mostly on a "per song" basis. At least with how I interpret things anyways.

·
Banned
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Varies upon album. Alot of their stuff yeah, fits the could be formula very much, but same for the other as well. Other about what 'is' stuff that comes to mind, much of the powerslave album follows suit, I think they started looking at could be more often when Dickenson was on Hiatus. Iron maiden is a big example why I do my list mostly on a "per song" basis. At least with how I interpret things anyways.
Powerslave was certainly an album about the here and now, but The Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, Seventh Son, and their most recent albums definitely go in the "N" direction. I'd agree that it does vary by song.

Also, I removed Anthrax because they're almost certainly not ENTP. Replaced them with Mayhem.

·
The No More Hero
18,285 Posts
Van Halem for ENFPs. I can surely see that.

I think some Power Metal bands like Freedom Call are very ENFP sounding too.

·
Registered
535 Posts
INFJ: Death : Sensitive but confident, philosophical.
INTJ: Meshuggah : "destroy, erase, improve" Scientific perfectionism.
ENFJ: Megadeth : "Peace sells...but who's buying?" Vocal about social-issues.
ENTJ: Iron Maiden : Strong passion for history. Boastful confidence.
ENFP: Anthrax : Damn fun personality but have their social issues they deeply care about.
ENTP: S.O.A.D. : Don't give a fuck about how things should be done, eccentric.
INFP: Insomnium : Finding the beauty in despair romanticism but not over-dramatic like goth-metal bands.
INTP: Voivod : Space nerds.
ISFP: Mastodon : Album themes loosely based on the 4 elements.
ISTP: Metallica : [only in the '80s] Independent and strong, but not really obnoxious.
ESFP: Guns'N'Roses : Popular and living the moment.
ESTP: Pantera : Look how confident I am, look how macho I am, in your-face attitude.
ESFJ: no such thing
ESTJ: Metallica : [after the '80s] Only caring about making another million.
ISFJ: definetly no such thing
ISTJ: Newer bands that still play heavy-metal despite the '70s being long gone.

So, I'm Insomnium.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I really don't agree with technicality and perfectionism being equaled with ISTJ regarding Death and Meshuggah.
They are obvious intuitive bands.
INFJ and INTJ can be very perfectionist, because of Ni. Take for example movie directors like Tarkovsky -INFJ- or Kubrick -INTJ. They are two of the most detail oriented movie makers ever. You can't be a "scientist" [ how the INTJs are called] without a passion for self-discipline and order.
Meshuggah and Death were about pushing the envelope further -Ni- and not about repeating forms that worked in the past.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I really don't agree with technicality and perfectionism being equaled with ISTJ regarding Death and Meshuggah.
They are obvious intuitive bands.
INFJ and INTJ can be very perfectionist, because of Ni. Take for example movie directors like Tarkovsky -INFJ- or Kubrick -INTJ. They are two of the most detail oriented movie makers ever. You can't be a "scientist" [ how the INTJs are called] without a passion for self-discipline and order.
Meshuggah and Death were about pushing the envelope further -Ni- and not about repeating forms that worked in the past -Si.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts