Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you and you and you and you!
Oh and to you over there sitting with your laptop by the window. Hi! *waves*

So recently I was reading some INFP descriptions and remembering how happy I was to find descriptions that I can relate to wholeheartedly.

However now I'm tired of reading those same profiles and constantly looking for more.... except for one.:crazy:

This description never gets old and I think it describes me to a T.

So I was wondering if there are any INFPs that have a paragraph from an INFP profile that you bookmarked or saved because no matter how much you analyze it and dissect it, it fits you extremely well :)

Here is my most favorite description ever:

INFps are distinguished by their sense of humor. Their humor is spontaneous, cutely ironic, and oftentimes rather random. They may put on a faзade of being under the influence of any number of substances, and as a result may appear childish, out-of-touch, and spacey. This is actually a defense mechanism to distance themselves from a contrived existence. When acting like this, they are most likely thinking: “You people take yourselves way too seriously.” They may seem estranged from reality, but they in fact dwell on a far more significant plane in their own minds. Internally they understand full well the gritty undertones of life, but see the world within the context of an overarching, transcendent framework that liberates him from the trappings of the workaday world. They have their eyes on “bigger issues” at hand.

-JJ

·
Premium Member
15,453 Posts
I hadn't read that one you posted above.

I have so many favorite INFP descriptions but I'll go with this one:

...You are an intensely private person with a rich inner life which remains largely uncommunicated. Your world of feelings belongs only to yourself. The personality you permit the casual observer to experience is molded from your intuition, which guides your perceptive process...
...There is a strong element of the mystical in your personality. It has been said that parapsychological phenomena—ESP, clairvoyance and the like— occur most commonly with intuitive and feeling people like yourself. Perhaps the key is that your personality is attuned to sources of knowledge others commonly ignore...
...You trust your intuition, and you are willing to act at an instinctual level. You somehow sense good and evil in people and situations, and you are willing to make value judgments on the basis of ethereal data which totally baffle other personality types. You rarely can trace by a clear, logical, welldefined sequence how you derive your insight about life, but your experience validates your judgment more often than not...

·
Registered
525 Posts
"You are the coolest, smartest, greatest type around. You will very likely die lonely, unhappy and poor, but dont worry. Well, try to not worry, at least for a while. You will have to worry about plenty things tommorow, again."

I dont know if that count, since its my own description. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
"You are the coolest, smartest, greatest type around. You will very likely die lonely, unhappy and poor, but dont worry. Well, try to not worry, at least for a while. You will have to worry about plenty things tommorow, again."

A description is a description, I kinda like it actually.
Just.... what is the point of being cool, smart and great if I will die unhappy anyway? makes me.... worry.

·
Registered
525 Posts
A description is a description, I kinda like it actually.
Just.... what is the point of being cool, smart and great if I will die unhappy anyway? makes me.... worry.
It was just a little "funny" and ironic description. I dont think any description can cover so many people at once. ;) So I make little fun of it. On the other hand, it is very hard to live happily if you are INFP. We are - if anything - always trying to live by our own standarts, which could be extremely hard, often. ;) We are flexible, but not at everything. We live by our own rules, that dont care about rules of the current world. . . . We are great at many things, we are just very often dissapointed. But it is not rule. You can be happy INFP, dont worry. ;)

Reactions: Sander

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,905 Posts
I like Jungs Introverted feeling description, the profile on personality junkie and every description that I've read that @OrangeAppled wrote. I don't usually idealize people, but her understanding and explanations are great, so I admit I'm a bit of a fan XD Thanks OrangeAppled for those btw.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

LOL!

My new favorite! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like Jungs Introverted feeling description, the profile on personality junkie and every description that I've read that @OrangeAppled wrote. I don't usually idealize people, but her understanding and explanations are great, so I admit I'm a bit of a fan XD Thanks OrangeAppled for those btw.
*leaves thread to go stalk OrangeAppled's posts* :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Although this isn't an "official" description of the INFP personality type, I think it includes many elements of it, and it describes my personality perfectly and beautifully.

"What is necessary, after all, is only this: solitude, vast inner solitude. To walk inside yourself and meet no one for hours-- that is what you must be able to attain. To be solitary as you were when you were a child, when the grownups walked around involved with matters that seemed large and important because they looked so busy and because you didn't understand a thing about what they were doing. And when you realize that their activities are shabby, that their vocations are petrified and no longer connected with life, why not then continue to look upon it all as a child would, as if you were looking at something unfamiliar, out of the depths of your own solitude, which is itself work and status and vocation? Why should you want to give up a child's wise not-understanding...Think, dear Sir, of the world that you carry inside you, and call this thinking whatever you want...only be attentive to what is arising within you, and place that above everything you perceive around you. What is happening in your innermost self is worthy of your entire love; somehow you must find a way to work at it, and not lose too much time or too much courage in clarifying your attitude toward people...Only the individual who is solitary is placed under the deepest laws...and when he walks out into the rising dawn or looks out into the event-filled evening and when he feels what is happening there, all situations drop from him as if from a dead man, though he stands in the midst of pure life...if there is nothing you can share with other people, try to be close to Things; they will not abandon you; and the nights are still there, and the winds that move through the trees and across many lands; everything in the world of Things and animals is still filled with happening, which you can take part in." -Rainer Maria Rilke

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

So recently I was reading some INFP descriptions and remembering how happy I was to find descriptions that I can relate to wholeheartedly.

However now I'm tired of reading those same profiles and constantly looking for more.... except for one.:crazy:

So I was wondering if there are any INFPs that have a paragraph from an INFP profile that you bookmarked or saved because no matter how much you analyze it and dissect it, it fits you extremely well :)

INFps are distinguished by their sense of humor. Their humor is spontaneous, cutely ironic, and oftentimes rather random. They may put on a faзade of being under the influence of any number of substances, and as a result may appear childish, out-of-touch, and spacey. This is actually a defense mechanism to distance themselves from a contrived existence. When acting like this, they are most likely thinking: “You people take yourselves way too seriously.” They may seem estranged from reality, but they in fact dwell on a far more significant plane in their own minds. Internally they understand full well the gritty undertones of life, but see the world within the context of an overarching, transcendent framework that liberates him from the trappings of the workaday world. They have their eyes on “bigger issues” at hand.

-JJ
That describes my sense of humor so well! Except it's not a defense mechanism, it's just how I'm wired & how I connect. I hold back on the internet because people who don't know how I am might think I'm a troll.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That describes my sense of humor so well! Except it's not a defense mechanism, it's just how I'm wired & how I connect. I hold back on the internet because people who don't know how I am might think I'm a troll.
Hahaha I know exactly what you mean! There have been many times where I will type a sarcastic remark or funny joke and erase it because I figure it won't go over as well as it did in my head. Because in my minds eye I'm a comedic genius! But there have been way too many times people have looked at me confused and weirded out :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Although this isn't an "official" description of the INFP personality type, I think it includes many elements of it, and it describes my personality perfectly and beautifully.

"What is necessary, after all, is only this: solitude, vast inner solitude. To walk inside yourself and meet no one for hours-- that is what you must be able to attain. To be solitary as you were when you were a child, when the grownups walked around involved with matters that seemed large and important because they looked so busy and because you didn't understand a thing about what they were doing. And when you realize that their activities are shabby, that their vocations are petrified and no longer connected with life, why not then continue to look upon it all as a child would, as if you were looking at something unfamiliar, out of the depths of your own solitude, which is itself work and status and vocation? Why should you want to give up a child's wise not-understanding...Think, dear Sir, of the world that you carry inside you, and call this thinking whatever you want...only be attentive to what is arising within you, and place that above everything you perceive around you. What is happening in your innermost self is worthy of your entire love; somehow you must find a way to work at it, and not lose too much time or too much courage in clarifying your attitude toward people...Only the individual who is solitary is placed under the deepest laws...and when he walks out into the rising dawn or looks out into the event-filled evening and when he feels what is happening there, all situations drop from him as if from a dead man, though he stands in the midst of pure life...if there is nothing you can share with other people, try to be close to Things; they will not abandon you; and the nights are still there, and the winds that move through the trees and across many lands; everything in the world of Things and animals is still filled with happening, which you can take part in." -Rainer Maria Rilke
Absolutely adore and love this.

Thanks sooo much for sharing :)

Reactions: JustARide

·
Registered
248 Posts
www . bestfittype . com / infp . html

This is one of my favorites... it's written from the perspective of an INFP, so there's an insiders' view. (Other types are also there. =D)

I also recommend Personality Type, by Lenore Thomson if you can get a hold of it. It goes deep into Myers-Briggs, and I really appreciated it. I wish I took notes so I could post a quote... ^_^

·
MOTM Dec 2011
8,651 Posts
Thanks guys :blushed: :tongue:

You know I just regurgitate Jung a lot though :tongue:

LOVE this. Love Rilke too.... I thought maybe he was INFJ, but I suppose INFP is very possible. This is very Fi!

·
Registered
105 Posts

Oh man that is cool! I like the part where they tell you who is famous and INFP, like J.K. Rowling or Shakespeare. I also like when they talk about how we aren't happy all the time, because apparently people get that impression from me but it's not really true.

or this: "INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause"

or when they talk about how we tend to express ourselves better in writing than verbally

·
Registered
3,365 Posts

-JJ
hahaha....its funny and cool how almost every description I read about INFP fits me in some way =) ....and yes it definitely is more or less a defense mechanism for me.....unfortunately its mostly interpreted as me being an uncaring soulless being =(
still I try to remain calm and keep being hilarious xD

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, it's a great way to start a description by flattering me about my sense of humor. :cool:

I do also exercise quite a lot of self-irony, and I'm pretty sure that's more common among INFPs than most other types?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts