Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better, Book Smart or Street Smart?

Which Type tends to be more street smart?

Which Type tends to be more book smart?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
This is really like asking what is better, food or water?

In simple terms, Ns are more bookish and SPs are the street smart savvy guys. I'm totally more bookish, if I were given a choice, i'd have picked the street smarts. It's largely down to how we are born, one thing i've learnt is that I stand out like a sore thumb when I try to be anything other than bookish, so I don't fight it anymore. As species that has the capacity to learn and develop though, I don't believe that we can't develop our current faculties, it's just some are more naturally gifted at certain tasks than others. Which is a cause to celebrate not to mourn because we weren't born that way.:cool:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Um, both are helpful. This is particularly true when you integrate both 'smarts' in your life. As my friend once said of me, "You're not only book-smart, you're also street-smart." That was one of the best compliments I've ever received.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
If you are an academic, it is better to be book smart. If you are living in South Central, you'd better be Street Smart! All-in-all, I'd say that being street smart has far more practical uses than being book smart.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Street smart. I feel like those who are street smart are more action-oriented. Book smart people are commonly rigid and judgmental (psst, takes one to know one). Speaking of judgmental, people who consider themselves intellectuals are usually pussies. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Street smart = common sense.

Some of the smartest people I know are complete idiots. On the flip side, some of the most street savvy people I know are buffoons. I think you need to find a balance but, I think that being street smart has more overall advantages.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why do we complain about people generalizing?

Isn't MBTI all about generalizing?

Generalizing = Simplifying

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This is the meaning of book smart.....

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Is good to have a balance of both, but I think you could still be better off if you only had street smarts. That's always meant common sense to me which is much more use in everyday getting by I think.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
i disagree that street smart is common sense. they're similar, but i have bad common sense and can't be described book smart, and yet my IQ at age 9 was 143. there can be a type of insightfulness which is street smart without having much to do with common sense.
i guess i'm booksmart about psychology, or like to think i am, but that's more of like a quirk of mine than something which describes me.

people massively underestimate how "interest" affects apparent intelligence. for example i cba with common sense, when friends point out something i do without thinking, it's because i find it tedious to care. i'd far rather think about my social concepts and theories all the time, and vibes. being able to pick up vibes i guess is a form of intelligence. also, i'm not the best with technology all the time but that's because it bores me, although if i really want something from it i don't have much problem figuring it out.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Speaking definitely because the grass is greener on the other side, I would have to say "street smarts." As someone who is very bookish and can consume knowledge all day, I always do well at intellectual type activities and school...but in the real world, I have more trouble. I feel less "socially mature" than a lot of people. I just don't see how being book smart has really helped me all that much in the "real world" other than I can understand things at a more complex level that perhaps some people.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you are an academic, it is better to be book smart. If you are living in South Central, you'd better be Street Smart! All-in-all, I'd say that being street smart has far more practical uses than being book smart.
So true! But for me, I'm glad I am book smart. I guess I am just accepting of it (finally). I tried to fight it, unsucessfully, and deny it, but in the end I couldn't. Though I do feel embarassed from time to time as a consequence of being street-dumb (?).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Speaking of judgmental, people who consider themselves intellectuals are usually pussies. Just sayin'.
Care to elaborate on that?

{QUOTE]Some of the smartest people I know are complete idiots. [/quote]

Yeah, and Einstein couldn't dress himself without help. We all have different "intelligences." You just have to be in the right situation to shine. It's just a guess, but I bet Michael Jordan would look dumb at a nuclear engergy conference? Huh?

Stephen Hawking discussing the upcoming football season?

Ghandi rapping with Tupac?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Why do we complain about people generalizing?

Isn't MBTI all about generalizing?

Generalizing = Simplifying
Because half the time there's someone who's an exception to the rule.

Foolish...maybe lazy people get confused between the generalisation and the reality. Simplicity is easier in some respects, but it can become abrasive and lead people to make assumptions and act on those assumptions in negative ways.

Street smart perhaps makes your life easier, better isn't something that can be applied if you ask me; different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I feel like intellectuals are more likely to sit high in their ivory towers while the rest of the world is out jumping in head first, screwing up, and moving on slightly wiser for the ware. Smart people are good at finding reasons not to do difficult things
Book smart = No people skills
You two have got to be joking. :crazy:

Try becoming a teacher, first of all you have to be very bookish, it's VERY HARD, VERY DIFFICULT, and YOU HAVE TO HAVE GREAT People skills. It's hardly a walk in the park.

I'm proud to be book smart, in fact, none of you could even type on this forum without having some book smarts, how else do you learn to read and write, learn or do math, etc etc. Practical street smart skills are useless without any theory behind them, and knowledge is wasted if it isn't put to use. So they are both required.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I prefer to just be awesome.

"Hey look buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like 'What is beauty?' because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems. For instance, how am I going to stop some big mean motherhubbard from tearing me a structurally superfluous new behind? The answer: use a gun. And if that don't work, use more gun...like this heavy-caliber tripod-mounted little ol' number designed by me, built by me, and you'd best hope not pointed at you."

1 - 20 of 64 Posts