Personality Cafe banner

Which is her type?

[INTJ] 
4K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Sedem 
#1 ·
I'm trying to type a friend at work but her test results are a quite out of tune with her personality, so, these are some of her answers.

"I love the patterns because it is the way in which I learn, I try to find the pattern behind what I'm analyzing until that the object of analysis is made predictable, therefore understandable."

"In my house were always very rigid in terms of demonstrations of affection, it therefore saddens me the fact that the person from which i wanted affection ignored me but I hated that another person (which wasn't the one that interested me) would like to take his place, I mean, hated demonstrations of affection of people who were not my goal."

"I used to think that showing myself with sad face could draw the attention of people that interest me, but that never worked and always appeared another unwanted people"

"I'm always looking for the reason of being behind things, like the theory which from all emerged. Things should have logical consistency in its core points, I've always thought that the truth is like a great cake, each person may have a piece of cake, a different perspective of things, but making all those pieces together and rejoining the original cake we will arrive at the truth which has given birth to all these different perspectives, the original idea."

"I have always wanted to be more clever than other people, not only in terms of having more knowledge than them (since that knowledge that can't be applied is meaningless), but as the case of being able to think faster than others, to predict their movements and make an more accurate decision, not so much in terms of morality, but in terms of the final outcome such and as it happens at chess games."

"I'm always aware of the consequences of every action, whether they are favorable or unfavorable, and sometimes I think i've prevented things to happen stopped precisely for this high degree of caution with which I have always lived my life"

"In my head I like to have very structured rules, opposed to the outside world since from a long time i've been messy, although i hate to work in a mess".

She's fully capable of being the more charming human being of the planet but at the time she doesn't like to be with people for long time.

So... Which do you think is her type?

PS: i'm using a translator.

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. Several things she said remind me of myself; i.e., looking for reason behind things, wanting to be more clever than other people, and having structured rules inside her head. You also said that she is capable of being charming but doesn't like to be with people very much.

It sounds to me like you've an INTP or very similar type on your hands.

Reactions: Eliyahu
#3 ·
I never tried typing other people I never personally met. I'd guess INTJ

I -
She's fully capable of being the more charming human being of the planet but at the time she doesn't like to be with people for long time.
N-
I'm always looking for the reason of being behind things,
T -
not so much in terms of morality
J
"In my head I like to have very structured rules, opposed to the outside world since from a long time i've been messy, although i hate to work in a mess".
I'm probably wrong.

#4 ·
It's almost impossible to type someone this way, but a lot of the quotes make her sound like a Ti dominant, so I'd look first at ISTP, INTP.

The sections below definitely make her sound like a Ti user:

"I'm always looking for the reason of being behind things, like the theory which from all emerged. Things should have logical consistency in its core points, I've always thought that the truth is like a great cake, each person may have a piece of cake, a different perspective of things, but making all those pieces together and rejoining the original cake we will arrive at the truth which has given birth to all these different perspectives, the original idea."

#5 ·
I'd say INTJ. INTJs and INTPs both lust for understanding, but they're subtly different. From what I've seen, INTJs tend to be a little more decisive and willing to test their hypothesis asap. INTPs are a little slower, think about more possibilities, but they will indeed test. Both are good traits, but balance in everything seems to be key. I'd say because she never talked about how the plethora of possibilities prevents her from taking action, that points in the INTJ direction. She could be a well developed INTP or flat out hybrid-brain-function-user that is outside the definitions set up by MBTI.

I take it back. It's a toss up between INTJ and INFJ. I forgot INFJs are some of the emotional theorists (as strange as that may sound).

#6 ·
I think she's a Ti-dom for sure. She couldn't be INFJ because from what's presented she displays a dominant preference for a Judging function (this rules out all ISJ's and INJ's). I'm not seeing any really strong introverted intuitive preferences so I don't think she's INTJ or INFJ. Perhaps she's ISTP or INTP. I think the former is more appropriate for her though. I need more to work with. :O

#12 · (Edited)
And which is the answer?... Occam's razor...

INTJ AND INFP [INTP (typo)] BOTH !

by
Douglass J. Wilde
Stanford University
wilde@stanford.edu

Quantitative analysis [9] of the MBTI® scores
shows that the answer to the question “Is it INTJ
or INTP?” is — BOTH! This is because when the
J/P score is less than the I score, as seems to be
assumed in this discussion, the type is “doubly-
introverted”, as proven rigorously in pp. 67-9 of
Wilde, D. J. (2011) “Jung’s personality theory
quantified”, Springer, London, subsequently
referred to as “JPTQ”. Consequently it has
dominant and auxiliary attitudes that are BOTH
introverted. The “doubleversion” phenomenon
has been noted previously by (June) Singer and
Loomis, Spoto, and Geldart.
For INTj, (here the “j” is lower case to
emphasize its smallness) introverted (not
extraverted) thinking Ti is thus in the second
“good parent” position rather than in the sixth
“critical parent” position where Te truly resides.
So Ti is not “hijacking” Te; the confusion comes
from using conventional “type dynamics” (TD)
theory instead analyzing quantitatively.
Disturbingly for MBTI® practitioners,
quantitative theory contradicts TD’s “attitude
balance” rule that the auxiliary attitude must
differ from that of the dominant, which for INTj
would have extraverted thinking Te auxiliary to
contrast with the dominant Ni. It happens
however that Te is in this case a third
“subsidiary” function-attitude (hereafter called
“(cognitive) mode” to avoid confusion with the
previously defined words “function” and
“attitude”). The two subsidiary modes, which
complete the quartet formulated by Jung, are
overlooked by TD’s consideration of only the
dominant and auxiliary modes. For INTj, the
second subsidiary mode Ne will usually have a
negligible “slight” score less than 20% (6 out of
MBTI®’s possible 30).
Mark, your discussion makes you sound like a
double-introvert. Send me your MBTI® scores
and I’ll unpack them to obtain your mode scores.
You’re in for another surprise if your T score
exceeds your N score, contradicting another
unreliable TD assumption.
If you would like a feel of the arithmetic before
tackling the rigorous JPTQ book, here is a
“packing table” showing the cognitive mode
scores for a set of INTj scores reasonably
describing the situation at hand. The
questionnaire scores 60%I, 60%N, 60%T, 20%j
“unpack” into the mode scores 50%Ni, 40%Ti,
20%Te, 10%Ne. Each row gives the score points
generated for each questionnaire variable by the
row’s mode. The column sums then match the
questionnaire scores, PROVING the correctness
of the transformation of questionnaire scores
into mode scores.
The mode scores show why the personality
description for INTj should involve both INTJ
and INTP type table descriptions. The INTJ
description combines those for the Ni and Te
mode descriptions; INTP, for Ti and Ne. A crude
way of understanding the distribution of
emphasis is given by averaging the
questionnaire scores to obtain 50% for INTJ and
40% for INTP – almost equal. Thus INTj can be
seen as “bi-typal”, to coin an uncomfortable new
word.
To keep this note from being too upsettingly
long, discussion of the subsidiary modes, which
seem to drift into the shadow, will be withheld
until you ask for it.
INTj PACKING TABLE
Mode Mode P-mode 60%I 60%N 60%T 20%J
identification scores or J-mode?
Dominant 50%Ni J 50i 50n 50j
Auxiliary 40%Ti P 40i 40t -40j
Dominant subsidiary 10%Ne P -10i 10n -10j
Auxiliary subsidiary 20%Te J -20i 20t 20j
Check: algebraic sum - - 60i 60n 60t 20j
Question of the Day: INTJ or INTP?

So, what do you think of the article?

#15 ·
2 diferent tests, 2 different results: INTP and INTJ with very low J.

So, i see in her: Ti, Te (she can take charge of things and even make stuff by herself if she's not obeyed), some Fe ("how's your foot" kind of stuff) lots of fi (lots of moral values, she seems to hate corruption and she seems to be trustworthy), low Se (you may be in front of her and she may not notice you), low Si (awful memory, she's always losing stuff), don't know about her ni (although she's very absent minded) and i haven't notice her using Ne.

#16 ·
LOL oh my...I'm so durp...I don't know why I didn't think of that possibility lmao. Hmm, well, yeah honestly don't get too worried trying to type her. At the end of the day, the observations of human behavior come first, THEN come labels to classify and section off different types of mental capabilities. Butttt, you can use MBTI to "guess" other possible aspects of her personality. Come to think of it, I don't recall why you're creepin on her type anyway =P Story time? XD

#17 ·
I don't recall why you're creepin on her type anyway =P Story time? XD
Because her typing is difficult and inaccurate and i'm trying to find out the limitations of typing systems, be called cognitive functions theory, mbti, socionics, etc...

Let's make an experiment: let's take any woman, and an test her with mbti, and keep her results private, if she's somewhat outgoing, kind and fashionable tell her she's esfp and if she's reserved, nice and "clean" tell her that she's an isfj... My guess is that even if she's not esfp or isfj she'll tell you that you've been accurate...

Take some handy and cautious man and tell him he's an istp (or some party guy and tell him he's estp) and he'll believe you.

#18 ·
I think that mbti will always be affected by some kind of subjectivity of the typed one. I think most psychopaths would score as enfj based on their "responses".

And cognitive functions responses will always be affected by the inability of the common man to understand terms as "big picture", "framework of thought", etc

#20 ·
"I love the patterns because it is the way in which I learn, I try to find the pattern behind what I'm analyzing until that the object of analysis is made predictable, therefore understandable."

"I have always wanted to be more clever than other people, not only in terms of having more knowledge than them (since that knowledge that can't be applied is meaningless), but as the case of being able to think faster than others, to predict their movements and make an more accurate decision, not so much in terms of morality, but in terms of the final outcome such and as it happens at chess games."

"I'm always aware of the consequences of every action, whether they are favorable or unfavorable, and sometimes I think i've prevented things to happen stopped precisely for this high degree of caution with which I have always lived my life"
These are very similar to a way that I would describe myself. As you can tell, I'm still unsure of my type, especially since I've seriously considered being, like the post you gave, a strange combination of cognitive functions, maybe something like Ni-Ti-Fi-Se-Te-Fi-Si-Ne-Fe. But I'm not sure that that is the right order for me at all, perhaps my Ni is down in the 5th or 6th place.

First of all, there are many different sides to a personality, and cognitive functions only explains possible ways of judging and possible ways of perceiving. There could be other facets that we are not considering, but should be. The question is, what is her dominant way of judging, what is her dominant way of perceiving? It's very hard to tell with some people. Perhaps some people are just more aware of their own thoughts? Or more flexible in using more cognitive functions?

The other interesting thing is Dario Nardi's research into how brain activity correlates with congnitive functions. Using a piece of equipment that can measure electrical activity in the brain, researchers have correlated activity in certain areas of the brain with certain abilities, and Dr Nardi took it one step further to correlate with cognitive functions. There are around 15 sections of the brain, and different groupings and types of patterns through the brain lead to different cognitive functions. It is very interesting, and from what I've read of his descriptions, I am definitely a Ni dom. It's a little less theory, and more research. The other thing is, though, that people who are left-handed have a 50% chance that their brain organization is different than most right-handers, meaning that sections of the brain that are beside each other are different, so different patterns would arise in the brain. So these people might not have the "normal" cognitive functions! Or they might not have the "normal" organization of cognitive functions. Now that is very interesting to me, because I'm ambidextrous, so it seems highly possible that I'm a completely non-normal personality.

And, on that note, I would encourage you to just enjoy her interesting and unique personality, as I know some of my friends seem to enjoy mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.