Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often see disagreements on thisd forum when it comes to typing certain people or characters as well. I can see long discussions where people can go from one end of the spectrum 'This person is ENFJ!' to 'No this person is ISTP!' Clearly people see other people in their own way, from their own view and rarely do I ever see near unanimous guesses on who someone is. But when I do, it's a cool thing to see.

But what I wanted to know, is which type do we think has the best success rate in typing people? In that, if for instance a famous person in the public eye took the Myers Briggs test, someone is right about who they are, just from watching interviews of them and continues to have a very high success rate almost immediately from typing them?

I like trying to type people myself, basing it on everything I've read of all the types and trying to get 'in the mindframe' of someone who thinks like that and guessing the kind of things they would say. Kind of like empathy I suppose. I wondered if this was a common trait in INFP's and if it helps them to be successful in typing.

And if not, which type do others feel are very accurate when it comes to typing others correctly?

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
The type who takes the time to do lots of research on cognitive functions. Studying, making sure they have a solid grasp on how each function works, how the leading function correlates with the Aux, etc. It really isn't hard, it takes time and patients. Any type can do this if they are interested. After a while it becomes easier to see the different ways people express themselves, making it obvious which function they are leading with. So i guess the answer to your question is any type that puts their mind to studying and grasping the concept as a whole. No type is exempt from doing that. Usually the ones who are committed will follow through with learning the knowledge there is available.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
I dunno if its related to type. Its' probably a matter of how perceptive people are, probably a good chunk of good intuition and a lot of real solid knowledge of typology. I mean @simulatedworld is one of the best at typing people he's an ENTP. Of course Jung and Von Franz were Ti-doms. John Beebe is an ENTP. Lenore Thomson and Dario Nardi are INTJs. Maybe from that we can infer that Intuitives seem to dominate this arena, but I dunno if I'd make that generalization. In the business world where the MBTI is actually most often administered many of the proctors or managers administering the tests are likely STJs.

In my experience I don't know too many Extraverted Sensation types who really get involved in typing people other than maybe @fourtines (who might be a Fi-dom anyway). That might have something to do with Se-doms taking things more at face value and experientially (typology by its nature is subtextual, its very idea revolves around categories that are not always apparent), but again I would not go as far as to say Se-doms can't be good at this or wouldn't be interested. @TreeBob who is an admin I believe is an ESTP.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
I am not really into typing people as much as i was early on. What I do a good portion of the time now is identify what cognitive functions someone is using while having a conversation with them. Seems every type thinks they are good at typing, but there really isn't anyway to prove it.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
As an INTP I don't know if I'm better than others at typing, but I do want to be sure I'm correct. So if I declare with certainty that a person is a certain type, they probably are.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Its usually a matter of effort that dominates it, but I noticed that INTPs, INTJs, INFJs seem to be quite advanced typers. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think everyone could become good at typing people, if you know mbti well and have some practice. Though maybe the Thinkers would be a little better at it than Feelers.

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
I am not really into typing people as much as i was early on. What I do a good portion of the time now is identify what cognitive functions someone is using while having a conversation with them. Seems every type thinks they are good at typing, but there really isn't anyway to prove it.
Hey who has time for PerC when they have 4 adorable boys ;) I think you should give some of your wisdom now and again, you were here from the beginning of time, so....you must have war stories, well thought out perceptions of people and functions.

·
The Doer King
13,681 Posts
Hey who has time for PerC when they have 4 adorable boys ;) I think you should give some of your wisdom now and again, you were here from the beginning of time, so....you must have war stories, well thought out perceptions of people and functions.
Yeah i got tonnes of them littered about on the forum. So little time to post these days :D

·
Banned
5,008 Posts
I would say that it depends it is an individual thing based on how well you know the functions. I've noticed that Ti users tend to be especially good at typing people though.

·
Registered
Me
1,688 Posts
Im certainly not good at typing, im never sure that the knowledge I possess is accurate enough and I dont want to mislead people.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts