Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It's very hard to say. Typology statistics are very hard to measure--self selection bias comes into play with the study commonly cited as it was a phone survey, for example. The biggest problem, though, is that tests frequently mistype people. For example, when I first took an MBTI test, I got ENTP, which is not my type.

People like to say that we INFJs are the rarest type, but I'm not sure how true that is, honestly. It doesn't help that we get really flattering descriptions about us. We have our fair share of problems, too.:proud:

Reactions: greatexpectations

·
Registered
751 Posts
I can't honestly see them ever finding out for certain, at least not in the forseeable future. I think it requires a lot of imagination, and I think imagination was key to the whole statistics.

Could they ever know for sure, without knowing whether the MBTI theory is even real? The whole theory seemed a bit too ordered to me, especially cognitive functions. It's always been a fit feel-good. Would they need (or be able) to test the whole world to get an accurate image, and would the whole world be able to test accurately if many people doubt its very validity before even taking the test? There's also the issue of mistyping, I've always tested the same type but many haven't been fortunate and tested for at least two differing types, sometimes more. For us to know for sure, the test needs some work.

But if we're talking about guess work, then Paranoid Android is right as usual. Supposedly the Ni dominant types of INFJ or INTJ are the rarest. One INFJ said its because apparently Ni isn't too useful for an environmental trait and has thus become recessive. But Ni sounds quite badass from my point of view.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't honestly see them ever finding out for certain, at least not in the forseeable future. I think it requires a lot of imagination, and I think imagination was key to the whole statistics.

Could they ever know for sure, without knowing whether the MBTI theory is even real? The whole theory seemed a bit too ordered to me, especially cognitive functions. It's always been a fit feel-good. Would they need (or be able) to test the whole world to get an accurate image, and would the whole world be able to test accurately if many people doubt its very validity before even taking the test? There's also the issue of mistyping, I've always tested the same type but many haven't been fortunate and tested for at least two differing types, sometimes more. For us to know for sure, the test needs some work.

But if we're talking about guess work, then Paranoid Android is right as usual. Supposedly the Ni dominant types of INFJ or INTJ are the rarest. One INFJ said its because apparently Ni isn't too useful for an environmental trait and has thus become recessive. But Ni sounds quite badass from my point of view.
thank you for your thoughts on it
the MBTI is a theory yeah i really see your point.. i've heard INFJ was the rarest type too. in a way i regret asking this question cause its purpose is not of any importance. i just kinda felt like INFP would be the rarest type. i just dont understand why im in an environment where i see these people around me and i feel like an alien.. im NOT even FEELING it, I AM CONSTANT getting my CONFIRMATION of my "WEIRDNESS" thrown in my face with verbs...

sorry

·
Subterranean Homesick Alien
11,928 Posts
thank you for your thoughts on it
the MBTI is a theory yeah i really see your point.. i've heard INFJ was the rarest type too. in a way i regret asking this question cause its purpose is not of any importance. i just kinda felt like INFP would be the rarest type. i just dont understand why im in an environment where i see these people around me and i feel like an alien.. im NOT even FEELING it, I AM CONSTANT getting my CONFIRMATION of my "WEIRDNESS" thrown in my face with verbs...

sorry
Everyone and their grandma thinks they're weird.
And there are differences between people of the same type, anyway.

Reactions: Anthoric

·
Registered
759 Posts
This entire site is crawling with INFJ's, INFP's and IXFX... I don't know how they would be rare...
INxx types gravitate to the internet and this is a very tiny proportion of the overall population. Outside they're quite rare and some people don't even realize that such people even exist.

Remember that weird quiet guy at the back of the class? They were probably the only INxx type you have seen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I read somewhere that the female population of INTJs is only .005%

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I think people will be biased if they know anything about MBTI types. If they know one type is rare and they want to be rare, they can change their answers to fit it. If you want to project a certain image of yourself that isn't actually how you act on a daily basis, it will change the type. The first couple of times I went in with an idea and got the wrong type. I have no interest in being a rare type. It wouldn't make me feel better about myself or justify my quirks. Or even give me more reason to act weird or unique. This site is crawling with INxx types, even if they're rare, they're prevalent here.

T is rare in females as well, and I believe ESTP is a predominantly male type. Does this make me feel like a special snowflake? Not really.

A more interesting question for me would be, what type is the most common? That too would be hard to answer. It can only be assumed, therefore it's only an educated guess with some statistical backing. Not really going to be a guarantee.

·
Registered
424 Posts
INFJs and INTJs are the only two types that aren't in my family and friends. at least to my knowledge. Maybe I didn't notice them?

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
^ That's highly possible. We tend to be the quiet ones who sit in the class and don't talk all that often when it's not part of the curriculum.

·
Registered
988 Posts
According to what I've heard, INFJ's are the rarest type. INTP's and INTJ's are rare, as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I wonder how they collect those statistics anyway. Maybe there's something about the tests or whatever they use that makes INFJs come across as a different type.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts