Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two jobs I'm deciding between.. neither are longterm, but it's very important that I find a job I enjoy, because I've been at one that I not only dislike, but is such a bad fit for me... so the two choices are:

1) A Self-Serve Frozen Yogurt Shop

2) A Casual and Small Breakfast/Lunch Joint

... Both are very close to me, and both are independently owned.. not corporate nonsense like my current job.

Both are customer service-centered, which I enjoy a lot.. and both are very simple, which I also enjoy!

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
My personal inclination would be to take a long term view of your options, even if the job itself isn’t going to be long term. Will you better be able to learn a transferable skill set at one? (Leadership, inventory control optimization, customer awareness, time management, etc.) Will they allow you to build connections or references that you can include in your CV?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
@Windblownhair well the breakfast/lunch place they just need someone to work the register, take orders, answer the phone etc.. it's not challenging, but I love simple jobs like that where I interact with customers/hopefully make their day better etc..

the frozen yogurt place is a shift leader position, with cleaning and serving.. I will only work with one other person, or maybe even myself eventually.. which is good for me, because I prefer to work by myself when dealing with so many customers, but one person is cool too!

The brunch place is with like three other people, in a smaller more close-quarters place.. which is fine though not ideal.

Which do you think sounds better?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
You’ve mentioned twice liking simple jobs and focusing on customer service, so maybe view your choices through that prism. Which one of these jobs better meets that criteria?

Alternately, since you’ve been at a job that was a bad fit, you could examine what made it a bad fit and analyze if either of these two choices are going to overlap that experience.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Which of the two jobs do you think you will do best?

I like to work with something I know I'm good at or can achieve some kind of expertise at. So which of the two would you be able to do best? :p

·
Registered
300 Posts
I worked in restaurants through college, and would take the diner position. It is a better gateway to a food server position, which is the ideal job for a student or young adult. Waiters make decent money, meet lots of people and typically have a free food perk, which is perfect for a starving student. Great social benefits with customers and coworkers, too. The yogurt shop sounds like a glorified cashier position.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I worked in restaurants through college, and would take the diner position. It is a better gateway to a food server position, which is the ideal job for a student or young adult. Waiters make decent money, meet lots of people and typically have a free food perk, which is perfect for a starving student. Great social benefits with customers and coworkers, too. The yogurt shop sounds like a glorified cashier position.
I agree-- if it were me, I would go with #2-- sounds like a much more stimulating environment with more chances to meet people. Sitting in a yogurt shop by myself or with only one other person for an entire shift sounds terrible. Also I would probably eat all the toppings and get fired :unsure:

But, you're not me, and only you can know which one is better for you.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Lovable well the most important thing for me, is that it's a job I will enjoy.. I need a job that motivates me, and what motivates me and inspires me is helping people and being in a positive environment..

the frozen yogurt place will have many families, children, kids and just happy people.. I've worked ice cream places before, and they were always my favorite for these reasons.

·
Registered
748 Posts
@Lovable well the most important thing for me, is that it's a job I will enjoy.. I need a job that motivates me, and what motivates me and inspires me is helping people and being in a positive environment..

the frozen yogurt place will have many families, children, kids and just happy people.. I've worked ice cream places before, and they were always my favorite for these reasons.
Well there you go :p

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Lovable so I had an interview at the ice cream place, and the position is actually for a shift leader, which is a manager on duty.. they were apparently looking for one, and I've never had a position that high up, so this could be good also for future jobs I apply for yeah? even if not food related, like if I ever decide to work at a clothing store, coffee shop etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts