Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I have two interviews, and I'm very indecisive on which place I should work at; it's between working at:

1) An independently owned coffee bar/café.. it's a smaller, intimate place with a positive atmosphere. I will start out on register, and then they will gradually teach me how to make all the coffees, sandwiches etc.

2) A chain outdoor store; think REI, only not as widespread. It's also a smaller store, but definitely bigger than the coffee place. I'll probably be a sales associate/cashier.

They are like one block away from each other, so distance isn't a factor.

I've worked both before; I've done jobs where I have to work with food, clean etc.. and I've also done jobs in retail.

For some reason, I cannot decide; I didn't expect both to contact me for an interview!

My main qualities I want is:

1) A positive place to work where I can help customers, but also have my own space
2) A place that will benefit me going forward; if I move etc, to have some valuable experience that can help me get other jobs.

These aren't long-term jobs; but it's very important that I find somewhere I enjoy working at.. my current job just drags on and I can't wait to leave everytime I work. I'm in a tough season in life, so this is important that I find somewhere uplifting.

Just looking for some advice, to bounce some ideas around etc

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Sorry in advance because I'm not going to be helpful, my only answer is: the one that pays more, and the one that has more economic advantages. Like some companies will give you monthly bonuses, like they will add extra 200 to cover your transportation, and they'll add another 80 for punctuality, they will add another extra if you wear glasses or braces, and so on.
For me, it's all about the money, especially when the job isn't long-term. If it's temporary, I wouldn't look into the environment or anything else that isn't the money, because I'm not going to be there for long.

If they pay the exact same, and you truly can't decide because you like both equally, I would look into What do I want at this time? Do I feel like trying something different, or do I want to feel comfy and exist on autopilot and not be stressed? Since it's temporary, I would choose whatever my mood is into. I don't know though, for me it's all about the money x)

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
If you do the coffee shop and learn how to make the coffee and food and stuff, any other coffee shop would love to hire you because you'd have a skill that you had gained. And people are hooked on their caffeine pretty good, so you'd be wanted.

If you do the store, you're not gaining a specific skill besides your work experience and cashier stuff, which you will also do at the coffee shop.

I say you choose the one that will give you more skills and future opportunities and the free(or discounted) coffee.

BUT....... If you go to the interviews, you should try to meet some of the other employees. There could be some little jerks and lying, stealing idiots working there who don't do their jobs well and leave you to it, and they make you fill in for them all the time and all that garbage. There could be a dumb little cliquey hierarchy at each place that you would have to fit in, to fit in, you know?

The independently owned climate probably wouldn't be that bad, but there could be tiers of existing power, and they might want you to fit into a certain place. They could test you for a while to see if you pass. But there could be this one person who is close to the boss that does a subpar job and always gets away with it because of their relationship.

And at the store, I have NO idea what could be going on in the back room. But at least you're a male so the customer base doesn't doubt your authority on the "manly" outdoor gear.

So go visit each place. Snoop around. See if you can find the employees on FaceBook and see if they look like good people.

Reactions: FreeSpirit777

·
Registered
My vehicle is INFP, 9w8. Vroom vroom!!
1,690 Posts
On a personal note, I find it humorous that you came to the INFP forum—INFPs can't decide either!! So enjoy the bouncing of ideas, and good luck on your interviews!

Reactions: FreeSpirit777

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ButIHaveNoFear ha thanks for the helpful reply! I like your sense of humor ha.. and you had good ideas that I never really considered; how that the experience at the outdoor store would just be cashiering and what not, while the coffee place would be that *and* more, like learning how to make coffee etc which is good down the line to learn that skill! I thought of that, but not the fact that the coffee place is everything I would learn at the outdoor store and more :)

The owners seem genuine and nice at the coffee place, plus indie places are so much better than corporate I think, plus I get to learn something new!

And I post on here/the INFJ forum because it's people I relate to most personality-wise :)

Thanks for helping me make my decision! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts